*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825725-Love-Letter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · War · #1825725
A soldier writes home to his beloved
Dearest Sammie,

I love you. I miss you more than you will ever know. Every day I wonder to myself why in the world I voluntarily signed up to be a part of this battle, this war with such an EVIL OVERLORD? Though I am not sure which side is worse, them or us. Maybe it's not for me to say, maybe I should just do my job and be happy that one day soon I may be able to return home to you my beloved.

One of my assignments last week had me quite puzzled. One of the generals asked me to go and find him a SQUIRREL, no reason why he just asked for one. I found it to be quite strange but then a lot of whats happening over here is odd, I wish I could say more but if the government is reading my letters to you then I don't want both of us to be in trouble. Trust me they would sooner imprison both of us than to have us talking about what we think they might be doing.

How are things your way? I know you said you and were dad were fighting a lot, has that changed any? Honey he really wants what is best for you, we both know that and we both know that when I come home, he will see that us getting married is a good thing. It's just going to take him seeing that I can take care of you, provide you with the proper life, for him to approve of our relationship. I truly believe we both love you immensely but just have different ways of doing it, I think you should talk to him, give him a chance to explain his point of view. Who knows, maybe you will be surprised to find out that I'm right, it has happened occasionally.

I can not wait to return home to you. A few of my Army buddies have been talking about how when they write to their ladies back home they talk about plans and what they want to do upon their return. I want to go on a ROAD TRIP with you! We can check out colleges, maybe we can go to the same school or perhaps in a closer proximity. We can even scrap that plan and possibly just go looking around at different beaches and find the coolest one and stay there for a few weeks. If we go around to the beaches maybe we can take a MOONLIGHT SWIM, possibly even without our clothes on. God I miss kissing you, I miss watching the stars with you in my arms.

I'm sure my parents will want to have a reunion of sorts when I get home, maybe they host the annual family BBQ. If they do you have to be there with me so you can watch my Aunt Cheryl make a fool of herself on the TRAMPOLINE again. Those were good times, I can't wait to make more memories like that with you. To laugh at people who are being silly or acting crazy. It makes my heart hurt that I'm not with you right now, but as I have been saying we are truly on the right path.

I talked to Jeff's dad about that money I invested and he says it's growing a lot more rapidly than what he thought it would. I know I hurt you when I signed up to come to the Army, to serve in this war but sweetheart think of the alternative. I could have been sent to war without them paying me anything, and now at the very least we will have a cushion for our lives together. For vacations or that house that I know you have your eye on, basically when I get home the world is our oyster.

I am eating, maybe not as well as you or my mom want me to but it's hard to when you watch people being killed every single day. Sometimes the person is attacking us and we need to fight back but sometimes it's not. Sometimes the person who gets shot is someone whose only crime was to be standing at the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure everyone tells me that, that is the price of war and maybe their right about that, I don't know. I would like to think that if a war was being fought on our turf that we would protect the children, we would get them to safety.

I know this letter may be a downer, several time I have thought about erasing it all and just saying “I love you” but that didn't seem right. We have always shared everything, whether it was good or bad and I am not about to start changing that now. I will not allow this war to change our relationship from being an open and honest one to one of secrets and lies. Yes after re-reading that I do think that may be a tad melodramatic but truthfully I don't care. You are my love, my life Samantha and anything that effects me, effects you.

Enough with the heavy drama. What is going on in your world? In the last letter you only talked about you and your dad fighting, but you didn't say why. Don't worry about causing me any stress, just tell me what's going on so I can help you. As I said I truly believe that your dad loves and is looking out for your best interest, so give him a chance. Have you been looking at colleges so far? Jeff had told me he wants to go to Vegas University, but I don't think that's a good idea. Things might get messy there, and Lord knows after being at war I don't want messy. I have night duty tonight so I am going to have to check in soon.

Love you always baby,

Ryan

Word Count: 1000
© Copyright 2011 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825725-Love-Letter