*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825803-Golden-Lance
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1825803
Don't let the dead rule your life.
The boys hand brushes the cave wall. He walks deeper and deeper into the cave. He keeps his golden eyes closed. Afriad of what he'll see if he opens them. He trips on something and his head hits the ground. Something slithers over his back. The boy doesn't move. He doesn't make a noise. After what seems for forever he stands back up. Eyes still closed.
He keeps walking. Stumbling forward. There's a loud growling noise. And the boy stops. Something rams into him. His eyes snap open. He sees a dark figure. With long nails. And dark green eyes. The figures mouth brushes the boys ear. "Run along now, boy. Tell your elders that Lord Oma is awake. And he is ready for war."
"Never! You will never make it out of this cave!" The boy pulls out his golden lance. He whips it at his side.
"I've been sleeping for ages. Slowly, building strength." Lord Oma says. "Do you think you can defeat me?"
The boys steps back. "I will defeat you."
Lord Oma laughs. Its a low, eerie noise. "With that silly toy?"
The boy steps closer now. "This is not a toy."
Lord Oma raises his hands. "I have no time for this." His hands start to glow. The boy suddenly feels tired. His eyes start to droop.
"STOP!" The boy shouts. "You don't remember me...this 'toy' at my side. Do you not remember what it did to you!"
Lord Omas green eyes widen. "No...you are suppose to be dead!"
The boy steps forward. Just inches from Lord Omas pale face. "I am Peter Straub. I have awaited this moment for centuries. The elders granted me the gift of immortality. I am the only one who can defeat you."
Lord Omas eyes shine. "The only one who can defeat me?" His hands start to glow again. A deep musty color. "Then I will just have to make sure you never wake up." His hands grip Peters shoulders. Instantly Peter starts to feel sleeply. He can't remember why he is in this cave.
"Stop..." Peter mummbles. He raises his lance. "S-" But he is already fast asleep. Never to wake up, unless Lord Oma releases his control over him.

The elders stand outside the cave entrance. They have their eyes closed. Trying to reach Peters thoughts. Wake, Peter, wake. They urge. But it is no use. Peter Straub is lost. The elders hold their hands up. Ready to make the cave collapse. Peter has failed, there is only one way to prevent Lord Oma from escaping.
"No!" It's a girls voice. "Please, stop! You'll kill him!"
The four elders turn slowly to face the girl. "Peter is already dead. He will never feel a thing."
"No, he is not dead! He is just sleeping. We have to save him!"
"Lord Oma awakes. He is coming for war. We cannot allow it."
The pretty girl starts to cry. She rubs the back of her hand on her face. "Let me try."
"We have no time for th-"
"LET ME TRY!" She shouts. Her voice echos through the town. She starts running into the cave. Using all her strength, she keeps her eyes wide open. Unlike Peter, she is not afraid. She runs further and further into the cave. That's when the cave walls start rumble. "No, the elders would not collapse the cave while I'm in here." But deep inside she knows they would. She runs faster. She needs to find Peter. She needs to protect him.
She runs into a dark figure. Lord Oma.
The girl pulls out her weapon. A small silver dagger. "Where is Peter?"
Lord Oma reaches out to the girl. His hands are still his nature pale color. He is not trying to hurt her. "Please, Elaine."
"Don't call me that, Oma."
"Won't you call me father?" Lord Oma says sadly. "You know I love you, Elaine."
"Stop!" The girls doubles over. Clutching her head. Her father, her father, her father. He is evil. He hurt Peter. He hurt mother. He hurt her friends. "I am not your little girl anymore."
"I gave you immortality, Elaine."
"I never wanted it!" She shouts. Rocks start to fall from the ceiling. "Where is Peter!?"
"He is far behind me, now." Lord Oma reaches out to Elaine again. She slaps his hand away. "Come with me, Elaine. Together we will defeat the elders."
Elaine shoves her dagger into Omas chest. She screams out in pain. Her own chest bleeding. Her hands reach up to her chest. They come away bloodly.
"We are one." Lord Oma says. He brushes by his dying daughter.
Elaine falls to the ground. Struggling to breathe. She knows she cannot die. She is immortal. She urges herself forward. She doesn't look back. She knows her father is making his way to entrance. The elders will use all their strength to make sure he doesn't make it.
She stands up, with great diffucuilty. She's moving. Slowly. But moving.
"Peter," She cries. "Peter!"
She finds him, laying on the dirty floor. She kneels by him. Her hand strokes his blond hair back. "Peter, wake up."
He doesn't move.
The cave collapses.
Being Omas daughter. Elaine has a few powers, too. She makes a force field around Peter and herself. Then she feels her head bleeding. She reaches up and touches her head. It is bleeding.
Her father. He must've been crushed. Which means...
Elaine screams. Her arm breaking. She doubles over. Crying. Her tear drip onto Peters face. He doesn't move.
She clutches her stomach, she feels like theres a ton of bricks on it. She sucks in air. She can't breathe. She can't move.
Maybe...She thinks....I will die.

300 hundred years later...
Hikari Fou is a pretty teenager. She lives in Camelot. Shes popular. She has a normal life. But, she has a secret no one knows. She has powers. She hasn't figured them all out, yet. But they scare her.
Once, in the fifth grade. She was mad at one of her classmates. For getting the golden sticker she wanted. She thought: I wish he would brake his wrist. Then, he wouldn't have won the dancing competion.
And suddenly, the boy was writhing in pain. Holding is wrist. Screamings.
Then, once, in eight grade, Hikari was having a sleep over with her friends. When her dad called her. He was going to bring her home. Her grades were bad, she didn't deserve to be at a friends.
So Hikari wished that her dad wouldn't make it to the house.
Then, she got a another phone call....her dad had gotten into a car accident. He hadn't made it.
So, now, Hikari makes sure to never wish for anythings. But that's not all of her powers. Super speed, teleporting, invisibilty. She doesn't understand why she has these powers. She doesn't want them, either.

Hikari walks down the dirt path leadint into the forest. She hums a sad tune to herself. Her hands in her pocket. Her curly blond hair brushed back into a tight bun. She puts her hoody up. It's freezing!
She meets up with her friend, Shinu, in the forest clearing. He's sitting on the grass. Eyes closed.
"Shinu." Hikari whispers. "Hey, Shinu!"
"I think," Shinu says. "That we should go to old cave."
"And," Hikari sits down. "How did you come up with this?"
"I dont know. I just feel like we need to go over there."
"It's forbidden." Hikari says. "We'll get caught."
"No we won't. You can turn invisble, and I'm very good at sneaking."
So, maybe, she did tell Shinu her secret.
"You know I don't like to use my powers."
"I feel like we're going to find something at the cave, Hikari, please, trust me."
Hikari sighs. "Fine, but we're doing it right now. I have homework to do."

Hikari and Shinu lay hidden under a bush. They watch as the guards march around the ruined cave. Hikari closes her eyes. She focuses on being invisible. She looks down at her hand. She can't see it. It worked! She turned invisible.
"I'll distract them." She whispers to Shinu. "Then we can spend all the time we want getting into the cave."
Shinu nodds. He doesn't look at her. He knows he won't be able to see her.

After throwing rocks into the east side of the forest to distract the soliders, Hikari let herself be visible again. She waved Shinu over and together they plowed through the rocks. They threw the rocks behind themselves. Further and further they went into the cave. It was too dark to see anything. You had to squint to make out your hand right in front of you.
Hikari was picking up a large rock when she heard Shinu scream.
"Shinu!"
"I tripped on something."
"What?"
"I don't know. I can't see it."
Hikari stuck her hands out and felt for Shinu. "Where are you?"
"On the floor, I tripped."
"I know, but where on the floor?"
She found Shinus outstretched hand and bent down next to him. She felt the floor. There was a large bump. "You probably just tripped on a rock."
"Probably."
Hikari moved her hands up and down the bump. That's when she realized what it was. She screamed and stumbled back.
"What?!" Shinu cried.
"A body!" Hikari said. "You tripped on a body!"
"What?" Shinu felt for the 'rock' he had tripped on. "Oh crap."
"How is that even possible?!" Hikari cried. "Shouldn't the body be, like, bones?"
Shinu moved his hands forward. Past the first body. He felt another one. A boy body. "There's one more."
"This is bad." Hikari said. "Really bad."
"We need to tell somebody."
"We can't. We're not even suppose to be here."
"We can't just leave the bodies here to rot."
"Yes, we can. We have to."
"Hikari," Shinu reaches for her hand. "We need to atleast get the bodies out of here."
"But the guards."
"Are distracted. They're in the woods. Trying to find out who threw those rocks."
Hikari sighed. "How? We can't even see."
"Use your powers."
"I can't make myself into a flashlight, Shinu."
"But you can teleport. Hold on to the bodies and teleport them outside."
"I don't even know if I can do that. I've never tried teleporting somebody else."
"Well, nows your chance."
Hikari reaches out for the first body. She flinches when she touches it. Okay, she thinks, I'm going to teleport a dead person out of a cave.
Then, she's outside in the woods. With a pretty girls body. Hikari takes a moment to examain the body.
The girl has long black hair. She's pale and covered in dust. One of her arms looks broken and her head is crusted with, what she thinks, is blood. The poor girl must've been buried alive, Hikari thinks.
"I'm sorry." She says, putting her hand on the girls forehead.

Elaine Grace woke up to a warm feeling. Her eyes snapped open.
"Ah!" A girl screamed, falling backwards. "You're alive!"
"Of course I'm alive." Elaine said, confused. She tried to sit up but her arm screamed out in pain. "What's wrong with my arm?"
"You're asking all the wrong questions." The girl said, edging closer. "It's broken."
"I remember now," Elaine said, "I was trying to save Peter and the cave collapsed. My father got crushed."
"Your father...I'm sorry." The girl seemed genuiely sorry. "Who's Peter?"
"Peter is my friend. He was put into a deep sleep."
"A deep sleep...?"
"My father..."
"I'm sorry. I can't--I don't understand."
"My father is still in the cave, his immortal. He'll come back."
"There's no such thing as immortality."
"I am immortal."
"You're--"
"That's why I'm still alive. What is the date?"
"It's november 5..."
"What year?"
"2258"
"I was alive back in 2011."
"Oh yeah," The girl crosses her slender arms. "What was it like back then?"
"I see," Elaine said. "That you do not believe me."
"Of course I don't believe you!"
Elaine narrowed her eyes. She stared straight at the girl. She had some strange powerful aura around her. "What is your name?"
"I'm Hikari Fou."
"I am Elaine Grace."
"Great, nice to meet you."
"Hikari Fou, who are your parents?"
"It doesn't matter. My parents are dead."
Hikari frowned and looked down at her feet.
"I am afraid, it does matter. You have a powerful aura around you. It is quite dangerous to have."
Hikaris golden eyes widend. She turned pale. "I don't know what you mean."
"You do." Elaine stood up and winced. "You are lying to me."
"No, I'm not. I don't have any powers."
"I never said you did."
Hikari opened her mouth. Nothing came out.
"Your eyes are very pretty." Elaine said. She changed the subject. She knew that she would get the truth out of Hikari Fou one way or another. But now, something new was bothering her. This girl looked like so much like Peter. Golden eyes. Blond hair. And the way she talked. It was similar to the way Peter talked.
"My eyes?"
"Yes, my friend Peter has eyes just like that."
"Shinu!" Hikari cried.
"Death? Why are you talking about--"
"My friend is waiting for me in that cave! I was suppose to teleport back!"
"Teleport. You do have powers."
But the girl was gone. One second she was there and the other gone.

Shinu sat waiting for Hikari to come back. She had been gone for to long now. Something was wrong.
He put his hand on the boys cold body. "What happened to you?" He asked.
He put his arm around the boys neck and started to lift him. He needed to find Hikari. But he couldn't leave the body here.
He walked back towards the entrance of the cave. Stumbling every few minutes. Once, he even dropped the body.
"I'm carrying a body out of a cave." He said to himself. Then:"Ooof!"
He tripped on something. "Please don't be another body."
"Oh no." He said when he realized it was.
He poked it. He nudged it with his foot. That's when a cold hand gripped his ankle. "Ah!"
The new found body on the floor used Shinus ankle to get up.
Shinu immeditaley felt something wrong. He stepped back.
"Do not be afraid." The man said. "I bring you no harm."
"Who are you?"
"I am Lord Oma."
Shinu made a noise. He'd heard the name before. Lord Oma. The one who declared war agasint the elders. He was the reason the cave collapsed.
"Oh." Shinu said.
"You seem worried, boy."
"Oh, no. I'm just...um, trying to get this body out of the cave."
Lord Omas eyes narrowed onto the floor. Where the body of Peter Straub lay.
"Hurry along then, boy."
"Um, yeah." Shinu picks the body up and starts stumbling out the cave entrance.
Lord Omas hand grips his shoulder. "What is your name, boy?"
"Shinu."
"Death?"
"I guess."
"Well,then,death. Why do you not come with me?"
Shinus warning goes off in his head. He doesn't know what to say. "Where?"
"I am going to the elders."
Shinu wasn't one to always agree with the elders. Some of their motives really bothered him, but he knew if Lord Oma was going to the elders. It would mean war.
Growing up in the orpahnage with only Hikari as his only friend, Shinu learned to see the truth from lies. He knew that Lord Oma was going to use him as bait. And...for some reason, Shinu was tempted to go with him.
"I need to get this body outside."
"Do not fear for him. He can not wake with out me releasing him."
Shinu saw his opening. He could help Lord Oma and when he is seen with him, he can say he did it to help bring the boy back. "Release the boy and I'll go with you."
Lord Oma did not hesitate. He waved his now glowing hand over Peters body.
Peter stirred. He grunted.
"Now, Death." Lord Oma said, reaching out his hand to Shinu. "We go to the elders."
Shinu grinned, and took Lord Omas pasty hand.

Hikari Fou teleported back into the cave. She didn't know where exactly she was. She could be near the entrance or deeper into the cave. She had no idea. Her best chance was to wait outside the cave. Shinu would be smart enough to come out after a while.
Hikari teleported back outside. She waited by the entrance. Pacing back and forth.
"There's a girl. She knows about my powers. She should be dead. She's not."
Hikari looked into the cave. She walked in. She couldn't wait.
She was running. "Shinu!"
She ran faster. She sensed something was wrong. "Shinu!"
She stopped. Super speed, she thinks.
And then everything is passing her. It's all a blur. She stopps, dead in her tracks, when she sees Shinu holding hands with a strange man.
"Shinu?" She asks, walking towards them.
Shinu shakes his head. "Sorry, Hikari."
Hikari is thrown back by some invisible force. Her head hits the cave wall and she lands next to the boy, which according to Elaine, is named Peter Struab.

Peter Struab woke next to a pretty girl. The girl was uncouncious. She had drool coming out the side of her mouth. She rolled over and faced away from Peter.
"Stange place to sleep." Peter mummbled.
Then he put his hand on his belt. Where his golden lance was hidden. He brought it out and the cave was illuminated by the lances' light. Peter put his hand on the girls back. "Hey!" He shook the girl. "Wake up."
The girl groaned. "Shinu."
"No, Peter."
The girl opened her eyes. Peter stumbled back. She had golden eyes. Just like him. "Who are you?"
The girl sat up. "Hikari Fou."
"I am-"
"Peter Straub."
"Yes, how did you know?"
"Your friend...Elaine, told me."
"Where is she now?"
"Outside, somewhere in the woods."
The girl seemed broken. Her voice cracked, once to many.
"Will you take me to her?" Peter asked gently.
"Give me your hand."

Elaine Grace stayed in the spot where Hikari had left her.
"She'll be back."
And then, she was. Except now Peter was with her.
"Peter!" Elaine cried. She jumped up and hugged him. She kissed his cheek and then kissed him once on the lips.
Peter blushed. "Hey."
The girl, Hikari, turned away. She seemed upset.
"I am sorry, Hikari Fou." Elaine said. "I should not have done that."
"I don't mind." She replied, forcing a smile.
"Where is the boy?" Elaine asked, holding Peters hand. "The one you went after?"
Then, she started crying. Tear spilled over her closed eyes. "He's gone." She cried. "He left me."
Elaine put her free hand on Hikaris shoulder. "Did he say why?"
"A man," She sobbed. "He left with a man."
Elaine glance at Peter. "Lord Oma?"
Hikari stopped crying. She turned to face Elaine. "Lord Oma? The one who collapsed the cave?"
"Yes, he is my father."
Hikari coughed. "This just keeps getting more and more intresting."

Hikari Fou listened intently as Elaine Grace told her story. Then she listened patiently as Peter Straub told his story. All the while Hikari was thinking about Shinu. Why had he left her? They were suppose to be in this together. They had always stuck with each other. Even when Shinu was caught for stealing, Hikari had stood by his side. Now, he had left her alone with these two strangers.
"Elaine and I have been alive for over two centuries." Peter says.
"So that means....That Lord Oma has been alive for even longer."
"True," Elaine says.
Hikari leans back agasint a tree trunk. "How long?"
Elaine hesitates. "A whole century longer than me."
"So, the elders are up agasint your three century year old dad?"
"I am sorry Hikari Fou. You want nothing to do with this?" Elaine asks.
"You're right. I don't want anything to do with this. But I do want Shinu back."
"Then," Peter says. "Come with us, and we'll help you get Shinu back."
"No," Hikari says. "I'm going to get him all on my own. I don't want help from you two."
"Why not, Hikari Fou?" Elaine asks. It's clear on her face that she's upset.
"I don't know you. I don't know if I can trust you. And it's your fault I'm in this mess, too."
Peter walks towards Hikari. "No, it is not our fault. It is yours. No one asked you to go into that cave. No one asked you to take us out of it. If you would have stayed away Lord Oma would still be in there! And your friend would still be here."
Hikari opens her mouth. Nothing comes out.
"See, you even know that I am right." Peter takes Elaines hand and starts to walk away.
"You're suppose to be a hero!" Hikari calls out to him. "What kind of hero lets this happen?"
Peter keeps walking. He doesn't even look back.
Elaine does. She smiles at Hikari. And something drops from her hand.

Shinu stands behind Lord Oma as he walks up the Elders castle.
The elders castle is a dark. Like a shadow is over it. The window pains are tainted red. There's always dark clouds looming over it. Even when the sun is out.
Shinu had always been afraid of it.
But now, walking up the steps, with Lord Oma by his side, he felt a sense of pride.
"What's the plan?"
"I march in and declare war."
"You?" Shinu asks. "What about me?"
"I know not what to do with you, yet."

Hikari bends down to pick up the item Elaine dropped. She turns it over, over, over, and over. Trying to make sense of the golden sphere in her hand.
"What are you?"
Hikari rubs her finger over the cool surface of the gold.
There's a latch on the side of the sphere. She tries to pop it open. But it doesn't budge.
"Open." She whispers.
The sphere snaps open.

Shinu watched as Lord Oma declared war agasint the elders. It was all happening to fast. He messed up. He shouldn't be here. The elders snapped their fingers and Shinu and Lord Oma were in dark cells.
"Lord Oma?"
"Hush, Death. I am trying to think."
"What happened?"
"The elders are stronger than I thought. They have trapped me."
"Us. I'm in here, too."
"I am stronger."
The cell wall rumbles and falls down. "Come boy."

"You did not have to be so mean." Elaine Grace says. Walking by Peter.
© Copyright 2011 Annabeth (wayfinder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825803-Golden-Lance