*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1827096-Writers-Response-3
by Brandy
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1827096
The importance of listening to others ideas when working with a group.
Brandy Hendon

English 3310-01



Writer's Notebook 3 (44)



         After discussing and completing the “Writing Activity” in class with my group, I came to realize the importance of allowing each person to give their opinion and to take each of those opinions into consideration. By doing so, more ideas can be brought to the discussion and each person within the group is given the opportunity to have their ideas heard.

         Not everyone enjoys working in the group setting, but sometimes it can prove valuable when tackling a large project that cannot necessarily be completed by an individual. Aside from more ideas being brought to the table by working in a group, we are also learning to work within a team, as we will more than likely have to do after we graduate and go on to our careers. Working in the group provides us with the opportunity to get used to appreciating others viewpoints as well as practicing our communication skills—both of which will be valuable assets when we graduate.

         What we have learned by working in the groups can also be valuable in our other classes because there will be times when we will be expected to work in a group setting in those as well. Knowing how to listen, evaluate, and respect others opinions and suggestions is extremely important in general, but especially when you are asked to participate in a group assignment for a grade. If you cannot do this effectively, it is likely that you will not do well on the assignment and receive a good grade because your teammates could give you a poor evaluation, which may be a part of the overall grade of the assignment.

         Being able to work in a group or team is essential in learning effective communication skills that will become a valuable asset in college and beyond. Taking advantage of honing that skill now while we still have a chance to “practice” is something we should all embrace and take advantage of.
© Copyright 2011 Brandy (txbaseballmom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1827096-Writers-Response-3