*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828071-The-Moon
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1828071
Writing exercise: Tell story based on black and white picture of the moon and beach.
         Steve awoke face down in fine white sand. The last thing he remembered was driving down Lexington Avenue in his Porsche. Where in the world was he? Why didn’t he have any recollection of how he got here? Slowly, Steve pushed himself up trying to gain purchase on the shifting sand. A coughing fit raked his body and he ended up falling on his butt. After a minute or two, the coughing subsided. He felt as if he had gone four rounds with one of those professional UFC fighters.

         In the moon light, he looked on to an ocean of dark water. Silver-white waves crashed on jagged rock jutting from the surface like so many fingers. Steve looked around. Seeing nothing but seemingly endless coast the world around him began to dance. A sudden wave of nausea hit him; he leaned over dry heaving until he passed out.

         Steve regained consciousness and stood. He did not know how long he had been out. However, it could not have been long since it was still dark. A refreshing breeze blew gently, and although the air was thick with humidity, the temperature was pleasant enough. It even had a slightly sweet smell to it.

         Steve looked inland. All he could see was an impassable wall of trees and the peak of a far off mountain rising above them. Picking a direction, Steve began to walk. With only the steady crashing of the waves to break the still silence surrounding him, an elusive thought nagged at his brain. Every time he tried to grasp it, it evaporated. After what seemed like miles of walking, Steve decided further exploration should wait until the sun came up.

         Sitting down in the sand, Steve realized what had been bothering him. Other than the never tiring surf, there were no other sounds. Assuming he was on a large island, there should have been some other source of noise. Steve looked out over the water, at the largest moon he had ever seen. It was enchanting and beautiful. He was no astronomer, but something about it just seemed…off. Then again, everything was off just now. Steve felt tired and hungry he just had to think. He just had to focus. Lounging back on his elbows, he looked straight up.

“What the h-hell?” He said aloud, as he startled to his feet. He stared straight up, struggling to comprehend what his eyes where taking in.

“What the HELL!” He screamed, as the shock of seeing another planet hanging overhead caused a string of hysterical expletive phrases, to spew from his mouth.

“Mister Jennings, can you hear me?” A voice came from nowhere which caused Steve to cease his fit of hysterics.

“Who’s there?” He asked aloud.

“Wake up mister Jennings.”

“Who’s there?” Steve said with as much authority as his state of fear would permit.

“Wake up mister Jennings.” The voice repeated.

Steve looked around frantically, searching for the source of the voice. It was the moon! Steve walked to the edge of the water, the surf washing over his .

What was going on? The moon…it seemed to be growing closer, brighter. Yes, it is getting Bigger.

Everything else faded away until all that remained was the moon. In the blink of an eye, his surroundings changed. He was no longer looking at the moon. All he could see was a brilliant blur of light. Looking around he found he was laying in bed, someone stood next to him.

“Hello mister Jennings.”

Steve tried to speak, but all that came out was a weak croaking sound.

“Don’t try to speak mister Jennings, just take it easy. My name is Doctor Weaver; you are safe in the hospital. You need to take it slow OK?”

A tremendous thirst washed over Steve.

“Water,” he rasped.

Doctor Weaver put a plastic cup to Steve's lips, and he sipped its cool liquid. It hurt to swallow, but the coolness of the water was refreshing.

“OK, that’s enough for now.” Doctor Weaver removed the cup and placed it on the table at his bedside.

Steve’s mouth still felt dry, but his voice felt as if it would work now.

“Why am I here?” He asked.

The Doctor looked at a clipboard, which she removed from the end of his bed.

“You've a car accident, you have been in a coma.”

“The last thing I remember was driving. My wife, where is my wife? I think she was in the car with me. Is she alright?”

“Mister Jennings, this is a lot to take in at one time. Let’s just give you some time; we can talk more about this later. I really need to run some test on you now.”

“No, please just tell me how long I've been here.”

“You have been in a coma for seventeen years. It is a miracle you woke up.”

“Seventeen…y-years? You mean to tell me, that I've been asleep for seventeen years.” Steve paused in disbelief. “I’m fifty two?”

“Look mister Jennings, I can understand that this must all seem so over whelming, and-”

“Where is my wife?” Steve interrupted.

Doctor Weaver looked reluctant to tell him.

”Where is she!” Steve’s horse voice demanded.

“I’m afraid she did not survive the impact of the crash,” Weaver said with a detached voice. “She died quickly.”

Doctor Weaver continued to talk, but Steve could barely hear. The voice faded into the background. He heard a ringing in his ears. His face felt hot. Pain in his chest took hold of him, and blackness surrounded him.

“Code blue; get the crash cart in here!” He heard someone yelling.

He heard alarms going off and voices all around.

“Charge 300, Clear!”

Steve felt a violent jolt that traveled across his chest. He opened his eyes.

Steve looked around; he was back on the island. He looked back at the moon

“Hello, are you there? Is anyone there?”

This time there was no voice, it was no longer calling to him. Something stirred beside him; Steve looked and saw his wife. She smiled.

“You're dead…You’re not real.” Steve stated.

“No, I’m not.” his wife replied.

“Am I…dead?”

“No.”

Steve looked around again, heard the surf breaking on the rocks, and felt the cool breeze on his face. Reaching down he took hold of her hand.

“Am I dreaming?”

“No my love, you have fallen back into a coma.” His wife said as they stood shoulder to shoulder on the beach, staring at the moon.

“Are you going to leave me?” Steve asked.

“I’ll be here as long as you want me here. This is in your mind. It is your world; you can make it what you want.”

She turned and walked away. Steve watched her, as she walked towards a small house with a path lit by torches. She paused at the door. Beckoning him to join her, she smiled seductively as she entered.
© Copyright 2011 Karaoke writer (jray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828071-The-Moon