*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828094-Tommys-Ninja-Adventure
by Tess
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1828094
One turkey was determined to make a difference.
Just as the sun started to break the horizon the brisk fall air was a sure sign that the season had arrived. Tommy hung around the hens as he did every morning but on this particular morning it was different he was thinking about the friends he had lost in the spring. Tommy was comfortable on the farm he always felt safe just then noticed a black cape on the clothes line, a costume one of the children wore on Halloween, he had an idea. He went over to the cape stretched his head high and was able to grab the edge of the cape with his beak. He pulled and as he did the clothes pin snapped and the cape floated down over his big round body and covered his tail feathers. He managed to get his feet in the little straps that were by his feet, it was a perfect fit but there was something missing.
He walked over to the barn to look around.
Then he saw it, a can of black paint had been left opened.
That’s it!, he thought.
He went over to the can, closed his eyes, held his breath and stuck his whole head in the paint can. Dripping with black paint that covered his colorful head he knew he was ready to get to work.

The sun was high, the hens were with their young so Tommy headed for the woods as he did so many times before. The paint was dry and he thought it was a good thing he couldn’t smell anyway as the paint had clogged up his nose. He made it to the Woods, he looked out over the open field known as the ’danger zone’. He slowed his pace as he heard the crackling leaves nearby. He spotted the camo then heard the calls, he wasn’t amused by their attempts. He had good eyes but the camo blended in and was hard to see. Just then he saw a hen placed by the tree as he had seen before but Ole’ Tommy knew their tricks. He heard more calls and then he jumped with excitement as he saw his friend Jake about 50 yards away. Jake was strutting back and forth, spitting, drumming and gobbling with every step. Tommy paced nervously, he couldn’t alert Jake about the decoy as it would blow his cover. Anxiously, he waited , then the camo moved he saw them take aim. The time had come.
Tommy ran with lightening speed  and just as he neared Jake he jumped, rolled and knocked Jake out of the way just in time to hear the blast of 10 rounds. He and Jake landed over in the brush, a little dazed they got to their feet and ran deep in the woods. They were safe.

As they walked to the farm together Jake would always remember the day Tommy saved him and Tommy would remember his day as a Ninja.

Tommy was comfortable on the farm and happy that he found a way to help save his friend Jake.
© Copyright 2011 Tess (cherubb2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828094-Tommys-Ninja-Adventure