*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828377-Incurable-Insanity--Chap-2--Compromise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1828377
Shaan and Khanak reach a compromise.
INCURABLE INSANITY


Chapter 2: COMPROMISE









She had lain awake all night, quite unable to digest the shock. Was this really happening to her;..to Khanak Sharma, for whom receiving love notes from potential suitors had become as routine and sundry as brushing teeth. Could a man really reject her?

It was hard to absorb...



The next morning Shaan had found her sitting in the same position he had left her in the night before. He felt sorry for her and it prompted him to make an offer;

You can opt out right now, I expect you would want to do so. Don't worry, I will take care of everything.

She had turned to look at him, with an unusually serene expression in her tired eyes;

No that isn't an option. I can't be the cause of distress to my parents. I'm willing to carry on with this charade, that is if it's all right with you.

Shaan wasn't just disappointed, he was taken aback. He hadn't expected this. It meant for not just a little complication, rather it was going to turn all his plans awry.



He had clearly informed his father about his ongoing affair,...but Shiv Ahuja being who he was had dismissed it.

Ohh! Toh tera kisi gori mem ke saath chakkar chal raha hai..hota hai, hota hai..koi baat nahin beta! (So you are having an affair with a white woman, it happens my son, doesn't matter.)

But it matters to me Dad, I love her!

But does she love you?

I think so yes, I'm pretty sure about it
. ( doubtfully.)


So is she willing to marry you and be my bahu (Daughter in law)?

Shaan had looked down embarrassed; She can't, she's already married. It's, it's complicated.

Oh toh yeh mamla hai? (So that is the case.) Aur mein yahaansoch sochkar apne dimaag par zor laga raha tha ke hamaare ladle bete se ab tak koi ladki kyun pati nahin? (And here I was straining my brains wondering why our son hadn't hooked up with a girl yet?)

It goes without saying that the youngest Ahuja was by no means lacking in looks. He was unusually handsome, of good build and above average height, who liked to maintain an athletic physique with regular exercise But despite being inundated with innumerable suitable matches each willing to part with unbelievable amounts in dowry, he had steadfastly refused, in fact he had even refused to pay a visit to his home town until now. His hand had finally been forced by the news of his Dadaji's (Grandfather's) terminal illness whose final wish was to see his youngest grandson married and settled in life.


But what Shaan lacked in moral makeup, he made up for by his integrity;

I don't want to live under false pretenses, I do not want to be instrumental in ruining an innocent life!

Then are you willing to let Papaji (father) go to his deathbed with his final wish unfulfilled? Do you want the shadow of his regret to cloud the rest of our family's future?

Shaan wasn't very pleased but his father had left him with no real options.


Just get married to this nice girl, bid farewell to Papaji, then you can do whatever you wish. Get a divorce or if you are a real man, carryon at both ends, neither party need know! Shiv had winked conspiratorially as he thumped him on his back.


His son wasn't surprised, for a long time he had suspected that Shiv ran more than one household and his long suffering mother probably knew about it but was too tired to fight.


He went through with the farce, and no one raised a finger.

Fortunately for Shaan, it appeared that Dadaji( Grandfather) had only been holding on to his last breath for this particular event before he gave up and was declared free from this world.



Therefore undoubtedly the extent of his alarm was immeasurable, when Khanak refused his offer of an amicable separation. He was flummoxed!

Why did he have to carry on living a pained existence with this girl till she made up her mind to let him go free?



She was being unreasonable...

But, but I can't...


Carry out the duties of a normal husband?
She asked without hesitation.


Shaan looked at her in utter surprise...


Yes...


I don't expect you to, especially after what you told me last night. But can we maybe give us a chance?
A clear and desperate note of plea in her voice.


Shaan was not enjoying this exchange..he looked away..

No, that's impossible! I was forced into this farce! It came out sounding brutal, but he couldn't take it back.


But I wasn't! What about me? What is my fault in all this?!


(Why was he being made to feel guilty?)


Well that was the reason for my offer today. We can end this and you will be free to start a new life again!



He looked at her eagerly, this was the proper time to get his way.


She laughed...;

It's easy to say for you! You are a man! But in this society a woman rejected after marriage is like a pariah! All the men who used to flock around me would not even consider looking at me again! She smiled wryly and continued.

And what about my parents? What about their dreams? And what for all that my father went through to get the best possible match for his only daughter?


Shaan closed his eyes; he hadn't realised; but it was much more complicated than he had thought.


Then she said in a much calmer voice;

I request you to think it over, because this doesn't only affect the two of us, it does a lot of other people. People whom I love beyond myself. Perhaps if we give it a month or two...? We could develop differences. I could tell my father that I can't stay with you anymore and he'd understand. That won't be as harsh and you can be free to do as you please.


He looked at her in wonder; did she really mean what she said?

It's just a request...




To be continued....



.



Links:

Prologue: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825959-Incurable-Insanity

Chap 1: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1826010-Incurable-Insanity-Chapter...

© Copyright 2011 keyfling (snoopy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828377-Incurable-Insanity--Chap-2--Compromise