*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828660-The-Keys
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1828660
A short story of adventure and hope
The keys were not recognisable at first.  It was not until the light of clarity fell upon the group of hardcore avenging rebels that they began to realise they were not looking for ordinary keys as they had assumed but for something that was more spiritual or supernatural.

This gave a sense of adventure ahead for the group, whom desired for more than their everyday existence of life.  Anticipation was a factor that kept the juices flowing amongst the leader and his companions for he lived to stretch the very fathoms of existence and reach toward the unusual or extravagant and in some instances, the more dangerous.

It was this very sense that led the group to search for the Keys of Clara.  They had heard from the local publican of the legend of Lady Clara and a great treasure hidden in the hills of the great cliffside, Alamorn.

Now the group were gathered at the bottom of the hills after scouring every inch for the past three weeks and still they could not find this so called treasure or the keys that were supposed to direct to the treasure.  They had become disheartened by the unproductive journey they had just embarked on and had begun bickering amongst themselves blaming each other for their misdeeds and misgivings.

But then something happened, something that changed all their lives forever.
A light began to shine in from the hole in the wall, by the side of the tree to the west, and the hill to the right reflected the light and lit up the rock to the east.  Now the group were all stunned and amazed, kept still, in case their brash actions would desist.
And a miracle happened and the tree moved its roots, and the gold box was seen underneath.  And there they did see such glory there be, the treasure of Clara now free.  And the keys that were searched were seen to the south, on the wings of the eagle and dove.  And then they did know the keys they did search, were not keys, but were crystals instead.

The crystals all shone so bright as the sun, all the colours blended perfectly together.  And the more the group looked, the more they did shine, so the leader knew they were the ones.  She stood up so tall and turned to her group and bid them to continue the the search.  They all looked at her and were empowered again, and with resolve set out to uncover the first clue.  The crystal of white, began to glow so bright when they came to the waterfall of hope.  One of the group, Alamein the great, stepped forward and searched it all out.  When he returned he was holding a cloth, when he unfolded it the diamond so perfect was seen. 

And so it was, with each crystal they had, they would glow, the color brighter than ever before.  The crystal of green like an emerald would shine and lead them to the emerald of peace.  The crystal of blue revealed the sapphire of hope and the crystal of yellow revealed the chest full of gold.  The crystal of pink lead the group to a cave and there they found the cloak of justice. The last of the crystals all colors within led the group over mountains and hills.  They travelled for days walking miles and miles till they came to the bridge of the forlorn. 

When they arrived, they rested a while, their leader, Tiara and another searched for food.  The rest of the group, tired from their journey set up camp at the bottom of the ridge.  When Tiara and Colin returned to the group, they had fruits and berries to eat.  The group were content to rest on this day, but another, Marlon, did not.  He felt uncomfortable and in his restlessness left, walking around the bottom of the ridge.  He looked up at the bridge of the forlorn and saw why he was restless, there were creatures almost invisible hiding in wait for anyone to cross.

Marlon returned to the group and told what he saw, warning of the trouble ahead.  Now the second in command, a stocky lad named Cal, pondered the situation then said.
"Of all the crystals we have in our midst, only one led to treasure galore.  Maybe this treasure, the chest full of gold, is the payment we must make to cross?"
Now Sharane was the most material of all of the group, thought the idea was ridiculous for them to decide.  She reminded the group they were after the treasure, and well the chest full of gold was just that.  But Tiara could see what Cal meant to say, and so did the rest of the group.  So they laid out some gold on the first rung of the bridge and waited and waited again.

As the sun began to go down, the sky turned to red and the gold began to glow so extra bright.  And as the gold glowed, the creatures that were hid, revealed themselves and with the gold left them alone.  The group then crossed the bridge of the forlorn keeping their eyes on the front as the darkness began pitch black to see.  By the time they had crossed and were standing on the other side, not one of them could see their own hand.  So Tiara gave orders to build them a camp, and to stay close to each other this night.

In the morning they all woke, and saw the bridge was no more.  There was no way they could return the way they came.  Now the youngest of the group, Pistachio was her name, noticed all of the crystals began to glow.

"Tiara, look!  The crystals are bright. We must be near the treasure at last!"

Excited they were, and fearful as well, so far the journey was without hiccup or hitch.  But foreboding was felt amongst the group in their hearts, causing them all to be aware.  All that is except Sharane.  She did not really care for the group at all, she was more interested in gold.  So while the others weren't looking, she took of some gold and hid it inside her clothing.  As the group headed off towards a mountain so tall, the crystals did something unreal.  Not only did they shine far brighter than the sun, a musical symphony was heard from them too.  The group were amazed and surprised as well, they suddenly stopped and became fearful of the journey ahead.

But again it was Pistachio who eased the whole group, when she pointed to the rainbow ahead.

"I think that is where we are meant to go, under the rainbow ahead"

So the group took the gamble and headed towards the rainbow and soon they were standing underneath.  And before they could speak, the ground began to shake, and the crystals suddenly evaporated from sight.  Now the gems they had found became to hot to hold and the gold became to heavy in weight.  Tiara then urged the group to let go and see what would come, if it may.  They followed her direction and then sure enough, something so incredible came.  A tall crystal tower appeared in front, so beautiful it made the group bow, all that is except Sharane.  But no one had noticed, for they were all in awe it was not until too late that they knew.

In front of the group appeared a dwarf and an elf, followed by a parade of colorful fairies.  Glow worms and bumble bees came out to see while a unicorn so white came out of the tower. He bowed to the group and then asked for payment so the group could enter unharmed. They all looked around, not sure what to do, but again it was Pistachio who said,

"I think we should give all the gold we have left and the jewels we did find on the way."

Now Sharane was outraged and said so to all.  And indignantly tried to walk away.  But she could not move any further than one step.  The group was surrounded by cyclops and minotaurs armed with spears and swords.  Tiara looked at the group and pondered the scene, and then decided to do what Pistachio said.  But again it was Sharane who spoke up in protest.

"You've got to be kidding!  After all we've been through, to give up the treasure we sought.  There is no way, I will part with this lot, no way, no how, never!  If you's don't want it, that is just fine.  I'll take it all and get out!"

The group were astounded at Sharane and her words, but now they all knew her true motives.  And so did the elf, the fairies and dwarf, and the unicorn who had now turned pitch black.  The group became fearful and gave up the crystals, the jewels and the gold they did carry.  They scolded Sharane for the selfishness she portrayed and told her to back off or else.  As soon as the group gave all that they had, a beautiful princess appeared.

"I am the protector of the purest of things, of those whose hearts are so true.  For those who don't care about others but self, your doom will be swift as the wind.  But to all who do care for others I say, you have won of the treasure you seek."

Tiara was baffled by the words that were spoken and so too was the rest of the group.

"My name is Clara.  I am the Lady of the Tower.  The treasure you have sought belongs to me.  You have shown courage, and unity as well, with pure hearts you have sought in my name. So come follow me and watch of your step, remember the warning I gave"

The princess then turned and entered the tower, followed by the elf, dwarf and fairies.  The minotaurs and cyclops and glow worms and bumble bees remained behind the small group.  The unicorn bowed as each one walked by, each one except for Sharane.

"Your majesty, I bid.  There is a problem over here.  This one is dishonest and untrue.  A darkness surrounds that only I see, it is deep in the heart the darkness dwells."

Cal and Colin turned around to face Sharane and knew she had done something amiss.  But before they could say anything, the gold she had hid, fell out and she was enveloped in a grey cloudy mist.  When the mist disappeared so had Sharane and the group again fearful did stop.

"Please do not fear, all you who have passed.  Your hearts are as pure as the snow.  Only pure evil cannot enter the gates, but instead are swallowed up by their greed."

And so they did learn, the group of young teens, who went searching for the treasure so great.  The treasure they sought they soon learned that day, was in the heart of all men who were true.  And peace and hope and justice fell and the group were rewarded as well.  All did receive their true hearts desire and peace reigned on the land of all men.


© Copyright 2011 giftid3 (giftid3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828660-The-Keys