*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828675-Guilda-and-the-Dark
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1828675
The beginning of A Zombie Epic I wrote during french class in a notebook age 15.
BAM!! Boobo’s 12 gauge fired and an arm of his perusing zombie fell to pieces on the ground. Boobo Ran full as the zombie, now minus and arm continued the chase.

Hollywood got it all wrong. Boobo thought to himself while he reloaded. These damn things are fuckin FAST! He continued to run at full tilt, but the armless corpse was slowly gaining.

How the fuck am I going to lose this one? Panicking he placed his shot gun over his shoulder and fired a succession of shots behind him. He herd shriek of the zombie being filled with buck shot but didn’t dare slowdown to take a look. Atta boy big B! Live to fight another day. As the thought finished, he felt his feet tangle in a mess of wiring on the floor of the cluttered hallway and Boobo hit the floor hard and slid to a stop.

Turning on his back quickly he saw the armless corpse now missing a large part of its abdomen looking as if something had taken a large bit out of it, was seconds from leaping upon him lying defenseless on the ground.

“Nuts.” he mumbled and he pointed his now empty shotgun toward the zombie, bracing himself for what he knew would be a gruesome death.

As the zombie was only a couple steps away Boobo herd a succession of rapid gunfire. The neck of the zombie seemed to explode like a paper box full of fire crackers. It’s head fell behind as the lifeless body itself seemed to disintegrate.

Boobo still on his back, leaned his head back to see an inverted image of Newbo slowly lowering the tommy gun he affectionate called guilda, its barrel still smoking, to the ground. Newbo casually walked over to boobo but instead of helping him up, Newbo picked up the severed arm that boobo had blasted off his pursuer, and started to hit Boobo over the head with it.

“Never (WHAM) leave (WHAM) the compound (WHAM) alone (WHAM)!” Newbo screamed as Boobo tried to protect his head. “How many times are Guilda and I going to have to save your ass?!”

“Will you quit hitting me with that thing!?!” Boobo said as he grabbed the limb for Newbo and tossed it away. “Besides, I had it under control.”

“Are you shitting me?! He was about to convert you quicker than a Billy Graham special!” Newbo furiously retorted.

Boobo got to his feet and dusted himself off. While picking up his shotgun he answered, “Well, it coulda happened, but it didn’t happen, so who really gives a fuck?!”

Newbo tried to control his rage at Boobo’s irresponsibility. “Well Next maybe time I’ll just let one of those creeps munch your ass!” Newbo, trying to lower his voice said as he pointed at the head on the ground with guilda. “what the hell were you doing out in daylight anyway?”

“Its not daylight yet!” Boobo grunted, He smiled at Newbo. “I was getting some sun!”

“You cant do that!” Newbo, losing his demeanor, screamed.

“ Well what do you expect me to do?! I’m not going to sit in the dark all day!” Boobo walked on. “…besides I can take care of myself”

Just then, a female zombie ran full speed around the corner toward Boobo. Before Boobo could move a muscle, Newbo had already fired off a dozen rounds just over Boobo’s shoulder. The Zombie dropped to the ground but Boobo was now stiff as a board. He managed to turn his head back toward where the zombie lay. Looking back to Newbo he smiled and said,

“When was the last time I told you I loved you?”

“Don’t you start thinking your special. If I don’t bring you back, I get exiled. I don’t feel like getting rid of you is worth that… yet” Newbo walked past Boobo, throwing Guilda over his shoulder.

Boobo worked loose his muscles and grabbed his shotgun and ran to catch up.

“Oh come on! You fuckin ADORE me!”
¨¨

Newbo and Boobo ran through the empty streets. The Early morning sun was just peeking over the horizon. The masses that make up the undead population were just starting to move about.

Newbo with Boobo not far behind ran to the subway entrance, jumped the turnstiles, and entered the tunnel.

The silent darkness was broken by the crackling of glow-sticks. The sticks were bright enough to travel by but not so bright that they could attract any undead who might be so ballsy to try and follow.

Boobo always thought it ironic that, the undead, soldiers from the bowels of hell itself, were afraid if the dark. It worked well as a crutch in case you should find yourself in a situation similar to Boobo’s to be able to find darkness and know you wont be followed.

The compound was simply a Larger subway station whose entrances had been sealed off. It would take one Ballsy zombie to wander the black tunnel to the compound. It was a mile and a half from the nearest open station.

“How did you know I was out anyway?” Boobo asked trying to break the awkward silence.

“A little birdie told me” Newbo answered and smiled

“Im gonna kill him.”

“Hey! That little bridy saved you ass today!”

“True but now whose going to save his?

Boobo and Newbo entered the compound and walked through the maze of tents and cots to there office. They were lucky. They were some of the first people to take shelter in the station and therefore got the ticket office as there own.

When they arrived, Jaba was still sleeping on his bed. Jaba, Boobo’s little brother, ( I bet you thought Newbo was his brother huh!?) spent the night tallying the stations food while his older roommates went searching for other recourses. Boobo put his gun on the reclining chair he used as a bed and kicked the table Jaba was sleeping on.

“Thanks for being loyal little BIRD!”

“What? He broke me down!”

“Anyone can brake you down! Your like a cereal box!”

“Then you should’ve known not to trust me!” Jaba said as he yanked the blanket back over his head.

The office was lit by a kerosene lantern. It was in relatively good shape. They had a water cooler, some of the old prints still hung on the walls, Boobo slept on the chair, jaba the bed, and most people simply swear Newbo doesn’t sleep. Boobo though knew Newbo took naps on the chair or the table when He and Jaba were busy. They kept their food locked in a file cabinet. No such thing as trust when your hiding from the undead.

“Well mister, if your so wide awake, you can take inventory while we catch some sleep!” Newbo said while moving Boobo’s gun from the chair. Boobo shrugged. And walked over to a clipboard hanging on the wall and searched for a pen. “and don’t get it wrong this time” Newbo said before placing his tattered cap over his face.

Taking inventory meant walking to each “family” and taking inventory of what they had and what was needed from the city.
6 gallons of water
10 loafs of bread
10 boxes of crackers
5 cans of spam
3 gallons of kerosene

Each family was rationed ½ a gallon of water per person per day, a loaf of bread and a box of crackers each week, the occasional can of spam or fruit, depending on what was available. No one had any clue what day it was. They just knew it had been 14 days since they last left for supplies. They needed to prepare for the night.
¨¨

Chapter Two


Steady… steady… He thought to himself. Two little lines intersected on the nozzles of the propane tank. The flare was raging, illuminating the street in the night. It wasn’t ling before they started showing up. The bodies. Half decomposed creatures appeared from the shadows. Black eyes staring into the light like it be a savior. He felt the weight of the gun against his hand. His finger tickling the trigger. Wait for more He thought. More and more zombies appeared. Dozens of soulless bodies in a tight circle around the burning flare.

He looked up. Without the scope he could barely see the pinprick of light out in the blackness. He looked back into the scope, the crosshair still lay upon the nozzle of the tank.

The report echoed across the buildings an a millisecond later he was blinded by the flash. He turned away from the window and shielded his eyes. A fiery mushroom cloud rose slowly coiling into the night sky. The building was rocked by the shockwave and the roar of the explosion. He looked back through the scope. Where the propane tank once sat lay a crater in the concrete. The building around were all in flames. Remains lay scattered across the ground, burning in the night.

He sat back and exhaled slowly. Another night, another few dozen less sonsabitches he thought with a chuckle. He flipped down his night vision goggles and walked back into the glowing green world.


© Copyright 2011 Peter Higgins (stephengirig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828675-Guilda-and-the-Dark