*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829181-A-little-problem-that-changed
by Pavi
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1829181
A work experience that happened when I was traveling. Funny story maybe?
         I rarely had opportunities to do business travels, since I was just a young IT specialist in a small outsourcing company. When our supervisor nominated me to travel to USA as part of group to not only train us, but make us the part of our parent company in California, I could barely contain myself with joy. Well, actually joy is not quite. Mixed feelings of happiness, sadness and of course - fear.

         Exactly one month later, the exact time it takes for US Visa to be issued, I was in California. During the 4 month stay, although most of my time was spent in my room behind a computer, I had numerous small adventures including; Almost getting crushed by a silver sports car. Couldn't see the make of the car, but I think it was along the line of NISSAN 350Z; An unfortunate and a fortunate discovery of a 5$ pepperoni pizza. Unfortunate being that I only discovered it one week prior of my leaving USA where I have been buying pizza at 15$. Fortunate being the exact same reason. My weight was not a part I was proud of by then even without the cheap pizza.

         Among these trivial adventures, there was one that did change how I perceive problems. One of many duties I had in US was IT support for over 500 employees. Demanding and tedious, yet I liked the part where I could solve problems others are having problems with.
         I was setting up emails for all the staff and I did this mostly on the phone. The staff were spread out around California, so I couldn't just do it in person.
         This particular day I was having a tremendously difficult problem with a young lady on the phone over a tremendously basic setup. After 2 hours, otherwise a utter failure at setting her email, I decided I should be there to solve it. Took my car, drove 30 minutes to her location, entered the facility and I was out in 2 minutes going back to the office. 50 seconds to go in, 50 seconds to go out, the rest to solve the problem. It appeared that she was writing her ampersat as "at" - most of you know this as the @ sign. I couldn't really blame her. On the phone, when I say 'so&so' "AT" 'so&so'.com, she would write it as "so&so'AT'so&so.com".

         The reader may be incredulous at this story, but I think I can safely say, I was the one most surprised at this. Again not really surprised, more of inspired me to change the way I look at problems. Something obvious to me could easily be a mystery to another and vice versa. After this singular event, my mind pushed me to look deeper at the choice of words individuals use to convey their thoughts. I know it complicates the matter to an alarming levels, but just because an object looks like a box from one angle, doesn't necessarily makes it a box. Our natural instincts demand us to make quick judgments based upon first impressions. However, how much we have lost and gained on this instinct?
© Copyright 2011 Pavi (tulgakhudulmur at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829181-A-little-problem-that-changed