*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829364-Because-Youre-You
Rated: · Short Story · Friendship · #1829364
James throws a suprise party for his best friend Brian and is forced to play truth or dare
Co-written with a friend on FictionPress, MattelUni

"Shh, everyone, Brian's coming." I heard someone whisper anxiously from somewhere in the spacious living room.

I listened for the unlocking of the door I'd come to be so familiar with. The creak of the door opening putting a smile on my face, I'd learned to associate that sound to my best friend coming home. And that should be enough to put a smile on anyone's face.

The lights flicked on suddenly and we all jumped out from our hiding places between couches and under tables.

"Suprise!" everyone yelled and by the look on my roommate's face, we did just that.

Once over the initial shock, he beamed at us. "Hey guys!" He said happily.

I, of course, rushed over and flung myself at him, wrapping my arms around his neck. He chuckled at my antics, wrapping an arm around my waist, pulling me into him.

"Happy birthday!" I said quickly as others pushed to give the birthday boy their congrats.
Brian took everyone in a stride, that's just the way he is, a people kind of person. I don't know whether that's cute about him, or just annoying.

While everyone was talking with my best friend, I went to the kitchen and grabbed the cake. I lit the candles and carried it out into the room. Setting it on the table, I didn't bother to have Brian blow out the mini-fires, as everyone immediately dug in. I laughed and walked over the Brian.

"Thought you hated to bake…" He said.

I just shook my head and leaned against him. He snorted as one of the guests shoved cake into another's face. I closed my eyes, leaning further into Brian.

I would have preferred to have done something quiet with my roommate, but I know how much he loves people, so I would grin and bear it until we could be alone again that night. Maybe if people went home ON TIME then I could make something nice for dinner…

"Come on Brian, you got to come play truth or dare with us!" And just like that I knew I would be getting no alone time with my adorable best friend.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm totally and completely in love with him. Have been since forever. So if I can't have him, then I'll be with him forever at least, even if only as a friend.

"Alright, I'll play, but only if James comes too." He said decisively. I sighed dramatically, rising from my spot against my crush's chest.

"Fine, but you all are a bunch of children." Brian giggled at me and ran his hand through my hair. God I love it when he does that. Wish he'd do it more often.

Everyone moved the furniture and sat down on the couches and rug. Some guy I barely knew went first, but I wasn't even listening. We went around for quite a while before I have the incentive to actually listen.

"Ok, Brian, truth or dare." Well this is intriguing. I try to show the same amount of interest to Brian as I have toward all the others, but I'm REALLY interested in what he's going to choose.

"Ok, dare." I grinned, that's just what Brian would do.

"Alright, Brian, I dare you to go to the fridge and get a big block of ice, and lick it!" My smile widened, knowing what would happen.

Brian, ever the dare devil, moved to the kitchen, I hear the fridge opening and closing, and he returns with a block the size of his head. He smirked at me and licked the ice block, his tongue getting stuck in the process.

"Alright, who's next?" He said around the ice stuck to his tongue. I sighed and walked to the kitchen. I came back with a cup of hot water, and poured it between his tongue and the ice, freeing him.

"Honestly," I sigh. Brian just smiled at me.

"Thanks James." I waved him off, but really, who wouldn't melt at that smile.
"Ok so it's my turn now…" He looked around the room, before turning to me. "James, truth or dare?"

I blush. "Seriously?" No one usually picks me, since I'm not cool like Brian. No one really cares about what happens to losers like me. No one except Brian I guess. "Umm, truth I guess."
Brian smirked again. "James, who do you like?"

And just like that, my world came to an end. What was I supposed to tell him? I couldn't just say no one because he could see my blush, and he can always tell when I'm lying.

"Uhh, umm, I-I, uhhhh…" I stuttered, all the while he was smiling at me reassuringly. I cringed. "Do I have to tell…?" I whispered. He laughed softly.

"Of course, I really want to know who you like!" He replied.

I took a deep breath to steady myself. "BrianILikeYou!" I answered too fast for anyone to make out. He grinned at me.

"Try again James, I couldn't hear you." He said. So I tried it again.

"Brian, the person I have a crush on, is you…" And then the room went silent. I heard some people make sounds of disgust, and others gasps of surprise.

Brian was silent, my head was bent down, staring at the floor. Great, I knew this was a bad idea, now Brian will probably go room with someone else and I'll be without him…

"Everyone out." He demanded.. No one moved. "I said OUT!!!!" He bellowed, pointing to the front door.

That got people moving. I heard skittering feet make their way out and soon enough the house was empty, save for me and Brian. I felt tears gathering at the corners of my eyes, but I brushed them away angrily.

"It's ok, you can kick me out. I'll be gone as soon as you want, just let me get my stuff..."

Brian ignored my comment and asked one simple question. "How long?" His expression was unreadable, and it made me uneasy. I've never not been able to look at him and tell what he was feeling.

"I-I don't know. As long as I can r-remember." I answered.

"Why?" Another simple question, but I didn't know what to say. There were so many amazing things about him that made me fall more and more in love with him every day.

"Well, b-because, I love it when you look at me. My heart jumps when you smile at me. I love the way I can look into those beautiful brown eyes of yours and know exactly how you're feeling. I love the way you smell, the way you talk, the way you walk. I love it when you run your hands through my hair." I took a deep breathe and glanced at Brian. His expression was still unreadable, but it looked like he was about to smile. That gave me the confidence I needed to keep going.

"I love the way your hair falls in your face, and how you flick it out of your eyes. I love that when it's raining outside we cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie. I love that your not afraid to hold my hand and hug me when other people are around. I love how even thogh I'm not popular like your other friends, you never let me feel left out. I love you because... I love you just because you're you, Brian."

And he kissed me.

How'd that happen? I looked up at him hopefully as he smiled gently at me.

"I love you too James."

And everything was perfect.

And look, I actually wrote a happy ending for once! Go me!
© Copyright 2011 muthafcknprincess (jennahbug at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829364-Because-Youre-You