*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829572-The-Sleep-Over
by Angela
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1829572
Curious twins wish they had met the expectation to respect privacy
             Shawn and Hannah leaned their foreheads close together against the cool glass of Mrs. McHenry's picture window.  She usually stayed at their house while babysitting. This time, however, she told their parents that if they needed her for the entire weekend, the twins would have to stay at her house because she had important responsibilities that needed her attention.

         The two of them stood like that, shoulder to shoulder watching the taillights of their parent's sedan disappear into the distance, until they heard a sound behind them.  Simultaneously, they turned their heads to see Mrs. McHenry locking a door near the kitchen, and hung the key on a nearby hook.  In her other hand, she carried bloody rags that stained her apron red when they brushed past it as she turned away from the door.

         "Oh my!"  She startled back when she saw them staring at her from the front of her house.  "You're early.  I hadn't realized you were already here."  Her eyes swept across the room.  "Your parents aren't here?  They just dropped you off without even a word to me?"  Her tone gave away her distaste for the oversight.

         Shawn stepped forward, and held a sheet of paper in front of him.  "Hello, Mrs. McHenry.  They sent this note along, and their number's on it in case you have any questions."

         She clicked her tongue to express her disapproval.  "Well, no harm done, I suppose.  Just set that on the coffee table."

         "Has someone been hurt?"  Hannah asked, pointing at Mrs. McHenry's stained apron.

         "Excuse me?"  Then she followed Hannah's gaze.  "Not at all!  I was preparing a roast earlier."

         "Is that what we'll be having for dinner?"  Shawn smiled.  He loved her cooking.

         "No, I've ordered pepperoni pizzas."

         The twins shrugged, and sat next to each other on the couch.  She was peculiar, but still their favorite sitter.  While she was strict about most things, she loved to watch horror movies with them, unaffected by even the most gruesome scenes.

           She returned a few moments later in a long night gown and robe, and gave the locked door next to the kitchen three taps as she passed it on her way to join her guests. 

         "Come, let me give you a quick tour."  The children followed behind her as she walked, and pointed out the rooms they would use in her small house.  She concluded her tour by pointing out her bedroom so they could find her if they became frightened during the night.  "Because new houses have unfamiliar noises that might frighten you if you are left to interpret them using just your imagination."

         "You have a lovely home, Mrs. McHenry."

         "Thank you.  How kind of you to say so. Dinner will be here soon.  Would you dears set the table for me?"  She handed them the items to be placed on the dining room table and followed behind them with tall glasses of lemonade.

         "Do you have children of your own?"  Hannah asked as she worked.

         "I do.  Twins, just like you.  A boy and a girl.  That must be why I am so fond of you both."

         "Where do they live?"  Shawn asked when the doorbell chimed.

         "The pizza is here!"  Mrs. McHenry went to the door, and returned with the food.

         At 9pm, their sitter announced that she was going to bed, and instructed the children to turn off the television and lights when they were ready to go to sleep themselves.  She gave the door another three taps as she walked past it on her way to her room.

         "Mrs. McHenry?"  Shawn called after her.

         "Yes, dear?" 

         "Why do you tap on that door when you go past it?"

         "That is my private business, and I trust you have the good manners to respect that."  She smiled warmly at them, and then continued to bed.

         "Why do you think it's locked?"  Hannah whispered to her brother.

         He shrugged.  "Maybe there's something down there that she doesn't want stolen?"

         "Then why would she keep the key right next to the door?"  She rolled her eyes.

         "And why does she always tap the door when she goes past?"

         "Like it's some kind of signal."

         "Maybe someone's tied up down there?"

         "I dare you to look."

         "Not alone!" Shawn grinned, "but I'll go with you."  They clasped their hands together as he quietly pulled the key from the hook. Their hearts jumped at the sound of the turning lock.  For a moment they sat still, only their breathing could be heard.  When they were certain that they hadn't woken Mrs. McHenry, they carefully opened the door.

         "I heard whispering,"  Hannah gasped.  They paused, but heard only the hum of the furnace.  Hannah took a few steps into the basement followed closely by Shawn.  They heard a shuffling sound and paused again.

         Hannah screamed. Shawn felt her hand slip away from him before something hot and wet sprayed across his face.  His mind registered his horror for just a moment as he realized it was blood.  Something grabbed his ankle and pulled him from the steps into the darkness.

         Moments later, Mrs. McPherson heard three taps on her bedroom door.  She opened the door wide. Two hunched creatures picking at their sharp fangs stood in front of her.  An unearthly mewl spilled from the throat of one of them as they reached for her. She pulled them close.

         "Did those naughty children scare you?"  They shivered against her.  "Mommy will take care of everything."  They clamored closer, unconvinced. 

         "Their parents arrived early, never saw me.  As far as they know, I wasn't home at all.  Anything could have happened to them, right?"  She ushered her children back to the basement.  "We've avoided troubles before." 

         She kissed the tops of their rough heads, locked their door, then tapped out three beats for "I love you," before going back to bed.
© Copyright 2011 Angela (angimae22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829572-The-Sleep-Over