*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829901-Reflective-Narrative-Essay
by Brandy
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1829901
Essay on my writing process.
Reflective Narrative Essay



         I have always considered myself to be a pretty decent writer. Luckily, for the most part, I enjoy writing. Although I prefer writing about things that I care about or actually like, I still manage to write a pretty good paper on the things that I “have” to write about for my classes at school. Unfortunately, those come a little harder and take me longer to think about what I want to write to reach the ultimate goal—a good grade on the assignment. I have found that when it comes to my writing, I don't have a “process” as many writers do—I just write.

         Looking back on my college writing experiences, I almost always go back to English Composition Two for my biggest issues. The instructor of that class was, without a doubt, the strictest instructor I've had when it comes to writing style, structure, and technicality. I'm thankful now for how hard she was because I believe it has made me a better all around writer and I pay much closer attention to not only what I write, but how I write it. The biggest thing that I learned about myself as a writer is that I am not a fan of going through all of the steps that some writers go through. In that class, we had to read a fiction novel from a pre-approved list that she provided and then write a research paper on the subject matter or one of the characters, and to me this was the most absurd thing I had ever heard in my life—or at least I thought it was until we were given all of the tedious instructions. The paper was to be twelve to fourteen pages long, but we also had to include a rough draft, all pre-writing, and we had to include a brainstorming sheet as well. Accomplishing this to me seemed like a total lie and a waste of time just to accomplish the “requirements” that the instructor had set forth. Because of the extra work that I was going to have to accomplish for this project on top of all of my regular class assignments, I chose a book that I had already read so that I would have plenty of time to get it all done. I hated having to do that, and I kind of felt like I wasn't being honest, but I also knew there was no way I would have the time with all of my other classes to read a 300 page novel, then do research using a minimum of seven secondary sources, and write a quality paper. As I went along in the process, I knew that this method was NOT for me. I found myself making things up for the pre-writing and brainstorming just so that I would have something to include with my final paper.

         So what my “process” has come to consist of is first deciding on a topic, which is much easier if it is something that I have an interest in. With my fiction research paper, the only thing that made it somewhat enjoyable was that it was a subject that I care about—domestic violence. Once I figure out what to write about I will usually sit in front of my laptop for a few minutes thinking about the topic and then I just type the opening sentence. More often than not, I complete the entire introduction before making any changes. Once I get the introduction together the rest of it usually just falls into place. Now that is not to say that I just sit and write continuously. Depending on what the subject is and if there is research involved, I will just write about an idea that pops into my head until I think I've said enough about it. Last fall I wrote a research paper on Condoleezza Rice for Dr. Matthews' “Women and Reform” class in which I conducted the research as I went along. I gathered all of my sources in the beginning and scanned through the books to see where I wanted to start, but other than that, I just picked bits and pieces of her life out of the books as I wrote. I think I like to do it like that because then I feel like I have stopping points along the way. If I find myself at a point where I get blocked or can't quite figure out which direction I want to go or what I want to say next, I can get up and walk away knowing that I am at a solid stopping point.

         Another time last spring, I had to write a term paper for Dr. Salih's “European Government” class on Italy's government and every time I would sit at the computer the thought of writing fourteen pages about the Italian government just made me feel exhausted. I procrastinated that paper for as long as I could and I hated ever moment of it. And my grade reflected that fact. After I write each paragraph, I read it and decide if there is anything I want to change or add at that point, and then I move on. Once I am done with the paper I will read it from the beginning and make more changes along the way if I feel something does not sound right. When I have read the whole paper, I email it to a friend who sort of acts like my editor and she makes suggestions and comments about things that I may have missed. Once she has read it and gives her approval, I make any necessary changes, then save it and print it to turn in.

         I think the biggest thing for me as a writer is finding something enjoyable about the assignment no matter what the subject matter is. Take this assignment for example: I kept thinking I didn't know what I was going to write about because I kept saying “I don't have a process,” but clearly I do. It may not be considered a conventional process to some and it may not be the best way for everyone, but it does work for me, and I guess in the end, that is all that matters. And a good grade.





© Copyright 2011 Brandy (txbaseballmom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829901-Reflective-Narrative-Essay