*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830100-The-Ice-Sculpture
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Arts · #1830100
A man tries to accomplish his dreams as an artist.
Andrew stood looking around him in awe. ‘So this New York?’ taking in a huge tower. Andrew was from a small town in Oklahoma but always dreamed of life in the big apple. After saving up enough money Andrew was one step closer to fulfilling his lifelong dream, becoming an artist. Andrew wondered down the streets hoping inspiration would come to him, when he saw it. A bright orange flyer fluttered wildly on a light post catching his eye.





‘Come one, come all to the 12th annual ice sculpting festival,’ the flyer read instantly catching his eye. ‘All entries are welcome and with a grand prize of $1,000 who would refuse?’ Not Andrew. He continued to read all the details then went home excitedly to prepare for the event that would occur on December 15th at six am.



After two weeks of ramen noodle meals, quick birdbaths, and lack of sleep Andrew was finally ready. He stepped out of his apartment with a basket full of sculpting tools and prepared to walk to Central Park. Andrew stepped impatiently through the crowded streets and released a sigh of relief when he reached his destination. Andrew set up for the daunting task ahead of him. He looked at the faces in the crowd, then the clock’s still numbers at twelve hours, and finally to the judges somber faces. Then the clock began to tick and Andrew began.



After working for the max time he was forced to stop. He stepped back to look at his masterpiece. He sculpted a mermaid to the tiniest detail. You could almost see every strand of her hair. The judges came and walked around and marveled at its beauty. They nodded then moved to the next sculpture. Then came the final moment…and Andrew wasn’t the winner.



© Copyright 2011 Winter_Nights (lindsay777 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830100-The-Ice-Sculpture