*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830190-Downfall-of-a-Civilization
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1830190
My submission for the writers cramp 3/12/11. About the downfall of the human race.
November 17th, 2163

This will be the last entry I ever write. So I’ll start from the beginning.

After the 2122 nuclear crisis in Moscow and the world saw how fast the radiation was spreading, everyone panicked. It wasn’t long before the global coalition began focusing their efforts to terraform mars. It only took 3 years before an area the size of japan was habitable. Another 3 before the first colony landed. By then almost all of Russia was consumed in radiation and it was spreading even further. By 2134 the settlement was 2,400,000 strong and growing. Construction had been underway for some time and a city was thriving. The population seemed to double every year from then on. By 2147 the entire western hemisphere was uninhabitable. Earth seemed to have fallen by the wayside with the ever expanding Martian civilization. They still kept in contact, but they were not coming back. Eventually I was able to pay my way onto a shuttle and was assigned a job and a place to live. Life was good, for the first time in what seemed like an eternity. I had met a girl and we had a boy on the way. Then we received the transmission. Apparently S.E.T.I was still operating after 150 odd years. As it turns out, we had been being monitored for several hundred years. They told us they had been waiting for us to prove ourselves. We didn’t know what for, but our proof came in the form of being able to transport life from one planet to another, and then sustain it. They said to prepare the world leaders and they would arrive in a Martian week which, as it turns out, isn’t much different from a week on earth. A week passed and something amazing happened. Everything went dark, everywhere. It was like someone had turned out the sun. You could turn lights on, but they wouldn’t shine. It only lasted about a minute. But there was no ignoring it happened. When everything came back up, there was a live feed on every screen in sight. It showed the world leaders in a conference room and they were accompanied by the most beautiful creatures I had ever seen. I can’t really put into words what I saw, because it was a feeling more than anything. An overwhelming sense of infatuation. It wasn’t just me, it was everyone; Men, Woman and children. The conference lasted about an hour before they shut off the streams. They told us they were going to share their technology with us. They told us they were regarded as the most advanced civilization in the universe and that they were going to reward us for our intelligence. The next day it was announced that 5 of the world leaders were to accompany the visitors back to their world, They also said they were going to keep contact. So they went. And sure enough after two days, they contacted us. It was the world leaders. But they were different. It was still them, but they seemed distant. Something about them had changed. There was hardly any emotion when they spoke. And they evoked a much lesser feeling if infatuation. They described this new world. They said it wasn’t the same to everyone, it looked like whatever you wanted it to look like. Eventually the women started to replace the world leaders to usher in a new world. At first it wasn’t that bad, We started working slightly longer hours and our quarters got slightly smaller. But after we stopped hearing from the world leaders things began to change. The feeling of infatuation wore off and these women stopped being so beautiful, in fact you could even say they looked unpleasant. Their form changed, from what you saw now you would hardly believe they ever resembled something human. Before we knew it, we hardly had any control anymore. Everything was run on a strict schedule and to stop any rebellion they had shown us pictures of what had happened to the world leaders. They were all locked in separate cells. No doors or windows. And they all looked brittle and broken. Starving. Dying. We became slaves. We had to complete the terraforming process. We weren’t told what would happen when we had finished; we were barely told anything at all. My pregnant girlfriend had been taken from me. I never found out what happened, and I don’t like to think about it. It wasn’t long before people started dying. Everywhere people were dropping. They weren’t given funerals of any kind, their corpses were vaporized. I stopped talking to people; it became too hard to lose people you’ve grown to know. The pain wasn’t worth it anymore. I prayed for death. Every day. But it never came. These women, these creatures; they were devoid of any morality, they would have been classed as psychopaths by any human psychologist. Maybe that’s how they advanced so far. This callous disregard for life. A few years passed. My mind was aging but my body wasn’t. As the human race had dwindled; it seemed as though these monsters had started taking better care, trying to preserve us and make use of us for a little longer. After a few more long hard years. We had finally finished the terraforming. Mars was now a thriving ecosystem. The monsters congratulated us and told us our reward was to live out our final years in peace. And then they left.

Now as I sit here writing this, I sit here alone, everyone I know has passed on. It’s just me, by myself, in a world I created, with no one to share it with. I can feel my life slipping away so I’ll end this here. This brief history of the downfall of the human race.

Yours sincerely,
The last known survivor of the human race.
© Copyright 2011 Mancandle (mancandle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830190-Downfall-of-a-Civilization