*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830596-BountyGrl---A-Sniper-Story-Chapter-12
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1830596
BG is a teen sniper working with her handler, Jaden, for a secret government organization.
BountyGrl – A Sniper Story

– by RaysALight - Jennifer Butler



Oo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOOo0oOo0o



Summary: Hiya! I love sniping (in video games heh), but ever wonder what would happen if I was a sniper in real life? BG, my alter ego, is a teen girl working for a secret government organization - the Division. With her enhanced body and senses, she, along with her handler, complete jobs around the world until one shocks her to the core.



Disclaimer: None. This story and the characters are mine alone.



Author’s Note: Reviews make me happy; flames make me sad; constructive criticism makes me embarrassed, but a better writer.



Oo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOo0oOOo0oOo0o



Chapter Twelve

Oo0oOo0oOo0oO



“This is it.”



Jaden parked the car in front of the hotel. I was underwhelmed. It wasn’t one of the towering brand name places, but a family-friendly oceanfront resort. It looked small, cramped, and deserted. It’s most impressive feature was its parking garage which swept around the entire front right side of the building. I frowned.



“You can’t be serious.”



My comment bought a snort from Jaden.



“We’ve been in worse places.”



I couldn’t argue with that. Compared to hiding in the middle of nowhere for hours under a hot camouflaged ghillie suit, this was heaven.



I popped open the glove compartment and after checking the magazine, handed Jaden a pistol. He holstered it and began rummaging around the backseat. I took the second gun, leaned forward and slipped it in the back of my jeans. I pulled my jacket down to cover it.



“Here.” He tossed me a denim purse. “Inside is your cover. We’re newlyweds, and we eloped. We like long walks on the beach and everything.”



I chuckled and checked my driver’s license. Jessica Carter, age 18.



“What did they name you?”



He pulled out his wallet and flipped it open.



“Landon.”



I had to laugh at that. Who the hell names their kid Landon?



“Well, let’s go, ‘honey,’” I said, my voice rippling with laughter, and we exited the car and approached the front doors, leaving our luggage behind.



Jaden held the door open for me. I entered the lobby and was once again disappointed. It looked cheap and the blue carpet and peach walls did nothing to add to the experience. Holding back a sigh, I put on my best smile and looped my arm in Jaden’s. We were newlyweds, after all.



At the front desk, a bored-looking woman with droopy eyes and a wrinkled vest checked us in. Jaden handed over a black credit card. It probably had no limit and was connected directly to Division through multiple back channels that were impossible to trace.



“Mr. and Mrs. Carter, here are your room keys. Have a nice stay. If there’s anything you need, don’t hesitate to ask.”



We thanked her and headed back to the car to retrieve our luggage. I could handle my bags easily, but Jaden insisted on wheeling out a bright gold cart. He popped the trunk and unloaded our suitcases. I pulled my rifle from the backseat; it was cleverly hidden in a durable keyboard case.



“Let me get that, ‘sweetheart,’ it’s heavy.” Jaden lifted the case out of my arms and placed it on the cart. I wanted to roll my eyes, but was satisfied with once again shutting the car door just hard enough to make him wince.



Luggage stacked securely on the cart, we headed for the elevator. I mashed the button and waited, arms slack at my sides, eyes scanning our surroundings. I could hear distant chatter in the restaurant, but other than that, the hotel seemed quiet.



The doors opened and Jaden and I stepped in the elevator. He pressed the button for the third floor. It didn’t light up, so he pressed it again. The doors closed and we started moving. He shrugged. I promised myself that the next time there was a ‘vacation’ op, it would be at a five-star hotel.



We found our room and Jaden swiped the key card. The door opened into a cramped hallway. To our right was the restroom and straight ahead was a single queen-sized bed. It took up the majority of the room and faced a television set mounted on a dresser. There was a sliding glass door on the far side of the room with two plastic chairs and a round table outside on the balcony. The room was small, but clean enough.



Like Jaden had said, we’d been in worse places. One particular operation sprang to mind. I was tasked with the nearly impossible objective of shooting the cable that connected a transport helicopter with the container it was rigged to pull. It was one of the more bizarre things I’d had to do, and under no condition was I allowed to take out the helo. I missed the first, second, and third time. With mental and physical corrections, I was able to hit the cable and split it enough so it snapped and the crate crashed to the ground.



I’d been curious and dumb enough to check inside.



It’d been packed with humans. Young men and women, who looked half-starved and had eyes like wild animals, snarled at me. Reinforcements charged the area, and the people who’d survived the crate’s fall were shot on sight. It was the kind of mission that leaves a sour taste in your mouth and makes you hold your questions. From what I heard, the helicopter ended up crashing and little intel was found.



“Hey,” Jaden spoke quietly. “Where’s your head at?”



“Just remembering something.” I turned to him, clearly annoyed. “So who are we here looking for anyway?


You said this was an easy-”



He grabbed my arm and forcefully dragged me into the bathroom. The momentum slammed me against the counter and he switched on the shower.



“Jeez,” I mumbled, rubbing my hip. “What is it with you and showers?”



He folded his arms and I could feel the anger radiating off him.



“The room hasn’t been swept for bugs,” he said over the running water. “You know better than to discuss an operation in a possibly compromised area.” I looked at the floor, thoroughly chastised. He was completely right. “I’ll ask you again. Just where is your head at?”



“An old op. You know I have trouble remember the where’s and when’s. Remember when I had to shoot down that cargo container?”



Jaden pondered this for a moment.



“Oh, that one.” He crossed his arms. “If I recall correctly, you missed quite a few times and let out a string of expletives that really surprised the CO.”



I punched his shoulder playfully.



“Well, at least I hit it eventually.” I paused and looked him in the eyes, banishing thoughts of broken and bloody bodies. “And about before… it won’t happen again.”



He nodded.



“I’ll make sure the room is clear. How about you return the cart and run a check of the perimeter.” He shut off the water.



“Yes, dear,” I answered and left to complete my task, pocketing a key card on the way out.



Oo0oOo0oOo0oO



About twenty minutes later, I returned and shut the door behind me with a soft click. I looked at Jaden, brows raised in a silent question.



“We’re good.”



I exhaled, tossed the key on the dresser and flopped backwards on the bed.



“There’s not much to this place. There’s a lobby, restaurant, game room, fitness center and pool. Oh, and of course, the beach. All the doors leading outside can only be opened with a keycard after dark. There are nine floors and the door to the roof is padlocked. And I’m sure you’ll be disappointed to know we just missed the international dance competition.”



“O…kay.”
I rolled over on my stomach, facing him. I watched as he pulled the curtains shut across a setting sun and moved away from the sliding glass doors. Snipers weren’t too comfortable with giant windows.



“Well,” he retorted. “You’ll be disappointed to know that our heater is broken. It’s stuck on air conditioning and I can’t get it to turn off.”



“I could shoot it,” I offered genuinely. He gave me a hard look. “Or we could call maintenance.”



“That would put us on the radar. The less anyone sees of us, the better.”



“Yeah, yeah,” I sighed. “I’m bored. What exactly are we doing here anyway?”



He bent down to zip open his suitcase and pulled out a duffle bag. He tossed it to me and I caught it one-handed in midair.



“Inside the bag there’s a camera and the case file. He’ll probably be using an alias, so memorize his picture. He’s a well known arms dealer in Mexico and is supposedly visiting family in the states.” Jaden sat on the bed beside me. “He’s most likely here to meet with a new client. He’s usually discreet, but there’s one thing he can’t resist.”



I looked up from the picture. “Crappy room-service?”



“A hot tub. He always takes a soak before he goes to bed. The pool closes at 2200, so you’ll be going in thirty minutes before.”



“So, I’ll be taking a dip and a few pictures?” I asked in a bored tone.



“Hey,” Jaden replied. “It’s not a trench in the Middle East with bullets zinging over your head, but it’s still a mission that Division needs accomplished.”



“For the good of Division,” I mumbled under my breath. I rolled off the bed and onto my feet. “We’ve got some time to kill then.”



Jaden nodded, wary of the gleam in my eye. I grinned. “Spar with me.” He raised his eyebrows. I continued. “You said if we fight and I win, I get to drive your car. He glanced around the room, the right side of his mouth fighting a smirk.



“Here? Now?”



“Why not? You said if I win, I can drive your car.” 



“And if you lose?”



“Don’t worry about it,” I huffed. “I don’t plan on losing.”



Jaden shook his head and smiled.



“Only on two conditions,” he answered, gesturing toward the TV. “First, there can be absolutely no damage to the room. And second, if I win, I get choose what we eat for dinner.”



“Whatever,” I replied. I was already crouching slightly into a fighting stance and we both kicked off our shoes. Jaden let his arms fall loosely to his sides.



“Fire when ready.”



I took that as my cue and inched forward around the bed. As soon as Jaden blinked I lunged forward and attempted to deliver a punch to his gut. He pushed aside my fist with his forearm. I let the momentum spin me around a bent low, sweeping a kick to his legs.



He stepped backward, effectively dodging the kick and putting himself out of my reach. I popped back up to my feet and tried to decrease the distance between us when he threw his arm, palm first, toward me. I leaned back and it stopped inched from my face.



I reached forward and secured his arm with both of my hands and began to lift my knee into a blow aimed for his groin. He jerked to the left, setting me momentarily off balance. My grip slid from his arm and I tottered on one foot. He connected with a blow to the right side of my torso and I was pushed toward the wall. I used my left arm to soften the collision, but I hit with enough force to make the lamp on the nearest table sway unnervingly.



Remembering rule number one, I caught the lamp with my free hand and steadied it. As soon as I let go, I saw Jaden’s fist approaching my ribcage. I dodged it and scattered away toward the sliding glass doors. Jaden closed the distance and we traded punches and blocks until we were right back where we’d started.



I took a step back as Jaden approached rapidly and suddenly his face was right in front of mine. I inhaled, my breath hitched, and my brain told me to knock him out of arm’s reach. Before I could react, he hooked his foot around mine, effectively entangling us and I tripped.



I clung to the front of his shirt and we toppled backward onto the bed. Jaden fell on top of me, his bent knee between my legs, and used his hand to prop him up so as not to crush me. His other forearm was pressed gently against my throat, not hard enough to stop my breathing but firm enough to end the match.



“Y-you win,” I whispered.
© Copyright 2011 BountyGrl (bountygrl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830596-BountyGrl---A-Sniper-Story-Chapter-12