*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1831181-Selinas-tears
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Other · Fantasy · #1831181
Mansel (vampire) eavesdrops on Selina's private moment
The narrow hall was dark, except for the thin sliver of light coming from the tiny office. I could smell Selina’s perfume a mixture of roses and lavender with a hint of orange. I stepped quietly, not to startle her. As I approached the door left ajar, a sob escaped and then a sigh. Selina was lost in a dark soul with a broken heart, but I never took her as being an emotional wreck. Perhaps, this was solitude tears that would explain her aura and the dim glow she had some days.
Words spilled out in a litany of muffled mumbles and screams, it sounded like prayer. I peered through the door and saw her looking into the gold rimmed mirror. Selina’s knuckles were white as she grabbed the desk for support, and she stared into her own reflection. Her golden flecks in her eyes were gone, and her eyes were as black and flat as her raven hair, her face was sticky with tears and mascara that made gray stripes to her chin.
Selina’s mood drained my energy; it was hard to see her in this state. Her mumbled words were clearer as her sadness turned to anger. I could feel her spirits rising as she continued her monologue in the mirror.
“How? How can he say that to me? I’m not selfish, he’s selfish, bastard!”
I couldn’t help but feel a smile creep across my face. This definitely wasn’t a prayer, and I could feel her gumption building. It excited me to see that spark in her eyes again. I had seen that tall guy leave, and Selina ran back to her office. Surely, here ex husband would come here to ruin her Birthday party. I agreed with her silently, he was a bastard.
“Henry, I gave you everything. I gave you love, support and me, and what did I get? Nothing! Nothing!”
She kept repeating the word “nothing” and new tears brimmed in her eyes, and overflowed down her cheeks. My first reaction was to run in there and hold her, but I walked away. The sadness was creeping back, and my energy was getting low. I didn’t want to have to get blood tonight. I had just fueled up yesterday.
I walked away back down the hall into the room filled with people drinking and talking. Instantly, my energy boosted, and Paige, Selina’s friend, came and punched me in the arm.
“Hey, you and Selina, huh, in private?”
I looked down at her with her smile on her face, “Uh, no.”
“Well, where is Selina?” Paige’s face fell and she scanned the room.
“I don’t see her, I think she went outside.”
“Dammit! Is Henry here?”
Before I could say another word, Paige hurried to the porch her high heels clicking across Selina’s wood floor. I headed out the side door, and found myself in the alley. I slipped back through the street and headed home, the night air felt good on my skin even though humidity was rising.
I got the corner, and played back the image on Selina, crying alone, and I wanted t o run back there and hold her. I figured, it best to leave her alone, it seemed she did her crying in private. Otherwise, she had about six girlfriends there that could have huddled around her. Obviously, Selina cried alone. I felt stupid all of a sudden for fearing what I could do to her. I could rip her throat out, and devour every drop of her blood, but she was reduced to a blubbering hysteric by a human man.
Henry did not have the talents or strength I possess, but he destroyed her with his love. It amazed me the power that love had on humans. I had been destroyed by love, but it was the death of my love. In many ways, death seemed easier to lose a love than knowing they go on living without you.

© Copyright 2011 Fille deNuit (nolachic73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1831181-Selinas-tears