*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1831321-Gerriks-War-Journal-2nd-Entry-Revised
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1831321
An account of a young man caught in a do or die revolution against his former country
***Special Note to Readers*** I am writing this particular piece to be extra material to go along with my published Novel: The Adventures of D'artello: Love and War. This account stands alone by itself, but the main character, Gerrik, is the father of the hero in the novel. My intent is to publish this on my book's website: http://www.dartelloadventures.blogspot.com. The journal will contain several entries and I will post them in this community piece by piece so that reading the account is not daunting. Please visit my portfolio for all available entries. Any feedback is greatly appreciated and once I build up a little, I will award more GP.

Thanks to all returning readers for the feedback by the way. It was helpful in creating this revision.

Harpa 7 1031

         It’s been almost a week since King Rames’s passing. Eduard took the throne just five days ago and all is much the same here in the west.

         I work all day, spend evenings at the pub, and stay up late exploring with Maria and friends. Last night it was just the two of us and we wandered into the woods. Well I wandered and she led the way. She has been living out here for almost two years since her mother up and decided Vashti had nothing left to offer. I agreed.

         Under the lantern light, amongst the crickets I confessed my business prospects and Erickson’s offer. I guess I was showing off, but I really do know my trade and I can work better than most of the builders older than me. Maria tells me it is sweet that I want to take care of my parents. I feel like she really listens to me and we can talk about anything.

         Norman comes in and out of town bringing news, mostly of mourn, parties, and gifts for the new King. He has been so busy that he has grown a thick auburn and gray beard. Poor man, he looked so tired today when he rode in with a platoon. There were 6 soldiers, 3 knights, and one lieutenant from the King’s army. Norman did not bring with him an announcement of any kind as to why they are here.

         Erickson and I talked about it over dinner. I hate it when he tells me I am too young for politics, but he explained that Eduard is new to the throne and the west is unsettled. The country is in a poor state and the western sites like us bring in money as well as relieve Vashti of over crowdedness. Eduard is merely extending his reach to protect the kingdom’s investments. So in short, the knights and soldiers are here to protect us from bandits.

         I’ve always heard other men talk about bandits but I’ve never actually seen any. Well, maybe I have, but it probably isn’t something you find out until it is too late.

         John and Beck cornered me on the way out of the pub tonight. They love politics and instead of teaching me like Erickson, they would rather pounce on me like fresh meat. When I explained Erickson’s theory they scoffed. They explained that the last war had left the kingdom short on good swords. These men were no exception. Certainly no better than the bandits they were here to protect us from.

         I spied on them in the bar. They ate, drank, and conversed only amongst themselves, even as everyone else danced and sang merrily. It was like they were plotting something. I have this feeling there is something we are not being told.

-Gerrik of Vashti

See previous entry "Gerrik's War Journal 1st Entry (Revised)
See next entry "Gerrik's War Journal 3rd Entry (Revised)
More entries coming soon!
© Copyright 2011 Donald Previe (dprevie611 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1831321-Gerriks-War-Journal-2nd-Entry-Revised