*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1832153-Random-Piece
by Sabin
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1832153
Just a bit of writing I have archived that I was/am working on. Idea stemmed from a dream.
I woke up with Greed resting her head on my neck. She gently nudged me and whispered in my ear.

"What do you want most in the world?"

I didn't know how to answer.

"I'm not sure".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walking up the cement stairs out of my apartment and feeling the moisture on my skin is always a welcome "Hello". Rain rarely hits the ground in this place. So damn hot all the time. It's no wonder I found a room almost underground. Much cooler in there. I don't even know why this is crossing my mind right now. I should be asking myself how the hell I woke up from what I can only assume was a dream, or at least something I created. The details are fading every second. All I can clearly remember is her face. How amazing she was. The people and the house. I can't recall what it all looked like. The conversations I had. It went all wrong though. Quickly.

I was headed to Mandolins for a coffee, which is something I usually do when I am thinking. Mandolins is a very calming place. A small coffee shop on the corner of my street. I sat down in one of the few chairs. They always have dangerously cute girls working here, who I always feebly attempt to flirt with, usually resulting in disappointment. Too much of artists these girls.

A few days carried on. I am supposed to be finding some sort of employment, although it is hardly necessary. I have enough money in my account to afford me, along with a few others, a long lifetime of care free living. I always find it unfair that I should be given so much opportunity. All based on chance. Typical story. Born to rich parents. They were killed in an unsolved homicide. When I say unsolved, in no way do I mean that their was ever much of an investigation. I still haven't found out what they did or why they seemed to be victims of such distaste by, well, everyone. I haven't really been all that curious even. Despite all that, the result was me growing up with a very indulgent lifestyle. Never really longing for anything, as almost anything I could think of was easily attainable. I can safely say I've experienced more of what is out there than mostly anyone my age. Which is 18, by the way. It isn't too hard to find time for travel when your name is pretty much paying for your honor roll.

I was walking home from downtown late last night, when I heard raised voices from a group of men one street over. I decided to take a detour in their direction. People fascinate me, and I usually take any opportunity I can to understand how we think the way we do. Just as I was approaching the dim street corner they were standing at, I heard a sobbing voice quietly trying to raise her voice back at the men. She sounded scared.
“Hello, gentlemen. Having a good evening?” I said calmly to the back of the first man.
Their were three of them. It sounded like a large group of them from where I was standing earlier.
“Things are starting to look up” One of them replied.
I could tell he was already grinning before he slowly turned his head around, locking eyes with me. The man on the right had what looked like a knife in his hand, but I wasn’t sure at the time. I got cautious. Just as I was about to ask them what they had intended to get from conversing with the girl, the man swung at me.
I broke his arm in 3 places and grabbed the knife as the other lunged at me. I stabbed them both. One in the femur and the other in the stomach. Just enough so they couldn’t walk.

“What the hell are you doing out here by yourself?” I asked the girl. I said it calmly. I didn’t wait for an answer and tossed the knife to the ground by her feet. I started back towards the street I was on. Still about 10 blocks from home. It was getting late. That's when I heard sirens. I sighed.


Now here I am.
I’m waiting for the damn officers to fill out paperwork and come get a statement from me. As far as they know I had assaulted the men without cause. The girl somehow managed to avoid running into the police. I dont blame her for avoiding them. She knows very well those men that were aggressively harassing her are not the only evils in the world. I know this too. After about 45 minutes I hear them finally coming back. I have been smoking cigarettes this whole time. Not that I am anxious, but these dull interrogation rooms bore me. The cops must have brought up the other men’s records. They all got handcuffed and brought to the cells, no doubt with some court orders being written up.

“Your free to leave” The officer said after opening the door. He didn't even step inside.

“Excuse me?”

“Have a good evening, sir” He said and closed the door

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her breath was cold on my neck. I was shivering as she placed her frozen fingers on the back of my spine, cutting deep into my skin with her nails. Everything was cold except the steady stream of blood between our chests, running down my waist and collecting on the floor. I always knew it would end this way. I fought so hard to avoid it but always knew it would come to this, just as it had all began. A beautiful girl, confused and betrayed. I know she didn't deserve this. Neither one if them did. They were self-less and caring. Thoughtful and intelligent.

I watched the focus fade from her eyes and saw her tears freezing to her cheek.
© Copyright 2011 Sabin (sabin2k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1832153-Random-Piece