*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1832927-Updating-The-List
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1832927
Somebody needs a cookie break.

"Nick, when are you going to turn that thing off and come to bed?" asked my wife.

"I'm just updating the List Hon," I answered.

"You always are," she snapped.

108 years of marriage had taught me that no response was needed or wanted.

Using a computer to keep track of things was supposed to save time.  Not!

I'm feeling trapped.  When it's easier to count and track things, you jump right in.  Not because the numbers and records are going to make your customers any happier.  The kids who get the toys won't enjoy them any more.

And that's what this business should be about.  That's what my Dad tried to teach me before I took over.  I was skeptical of his "Ho, Ho, Ho" approach, but he's sure having the last laugh.

That sugary sweet Tooth Fairy brags about the wonders of her system.  But come on.  She picks up a lousy tooth and drops off a pittance.  How complex is that?

Me, on the other hand!  Seems like every kid wants something different.  Or the opposite, every one of them wants the same thing.  Either way, the logistics will kill you.

So here I am, December 14th, and I'm stuck doing data entry to update the Naughty and Nice List.  I ask you, is that a job for the head man?

The elves were working to automate updating the List from emails sent in by my deputies who interview the kids in the malls and department stores.  Then one of the emails was infected with a virus.  What a mess.  Took two days to recover.

I need a cookie and milk break.  Yeah!  Give me a boost, get me in the spirit, remind me of what the big night will have to offer an old cookie monster.
© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1832927-Updating-The-List