*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1833910-Comedy-of-Errors
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1833910
A short story of how a robbery went wrong
How could this have gone wrong? That was the first question that Philip asked Benny when they were left in their cell. Every step of their plan worked perfectly, including the getaway taxi, and yet somehow, they never got to it. Where was Stephen and Robby, Benny thought in his silence. And now, at the age of 18, one mistake had decided his future; the law will ensure that he got a minimum of 15 years for being caught as an armed robber in broad day light.

Philip was the leader of the gang; he had everything planned out. Earlier on, he had spotted a nice boutique shop in the vicinity of their high school. Considering the calm nature of the area, he knew that nothing would go wrong with the heist. He gathered his pals, a gang of four, Benny, Stephen, and Robby, and explained his plan to them. Philip's dad was in the army, so he offered the use of a pistol from his dads’ collection. Benny will be stealing two of the cutlasses from their high school, Stephen’s uncle had a taxi at home, and since Robby knows how to drive, he will be their driver for the day.

The day was set for a Thursday. The gang skipped the walls of their high school and went straight for the taxi at Stephen’s place. They never reported for classes that day. With their backpacks, Philip and Benny entered the shop and waited until all the customers had left. Then they approached the nice lady at the counter. Benny started by asking for some advice on the best options she has for young guys. Then, just as she began showing him around, Philip sprang up with the gun in hand. Earning a meager monthly wage, the lady didn’t even try shouting because she valued her life. Benny then pulled from his backpack three sacks and a cutlass. And while Philip ordered the lady into the changing room, Benny began ransacking the shop. He grabbed shoes, suits, jewelry, perfumes and even some stuff for ladies. While this was going on, Philip had tied the lady up in the changing room. Stephen and Robby were waiting in the taxi for their pals. As they left the shop, they walked calmly, not wanting to draw attention to themselves.

Out of nowhere, they heard someone scream "thieves!" After that, everything happened very quickly. They saw their getaway taxi speed off, they felt the dirty blows passer-bys were giving them and they were cuffed by the police. Standing at the gate of the shop was the lady who should have been tied up and locked in the changing room. Stephen and Robby had sped off, but they wouldn't remain anonymous for long; people had noted down the registration number of the taxi. Also, since the gang didn't change out of their school uniforms, finding  them would be a simple matter. As the two friends in crime sat in the cell wondering what had possibly gone wrong with the plan , Robby, who was already in different attire, entered. And as he stood there staring at the master schemer, all that he could say was, “you should have told me you don’t know how to tie a knot.”

© Copyright 2011 dazkabans (danelifai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1833910-Comedy-of-Errors