*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1834435-Jerry-The-Christmas-Elf
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1834435
This is a children's Christmas story.
It was a beautiful winter morning at the North Pole. Icicles hung perfectly from every rooftop. The air was cool and crisp and everyone was waking up, getting ready for another busy day.

In the big house, Santa and Mrs. Claus were just sitting down to a nice big breakfast of pancakes, sausage, eggs, and coffee (Santa doesn't always eat cookies and milk!). Santa was reading the Pole Post (the official Naughty & Nice Newspaper of the North Pole).

Across the way in one of the smaller elves' dwellings, Jerry the elf was getting dressed for work. He put on his green tights, green top with red Christmassy trim, cute little green shoes with pointed toes, and of course, his green elf hat, complete with the lucky jingle bell that Mrs. Claus had given him.

As Jerry trudged through the fresh, thick snow towards the workshop, he couldn't help but think back to the day he had gotten his lucky bell. It was one of his first days building toys and Jerry was nervous. He was afraid that Santa wouldn't like his work. On one of his breaks, Mrs. Claus happened to be walking by. She noticed that Jerry was not visiting with the other elves, but standing alone in a corner, shaking. Mrs. Claus, being the caring person she is, stopped and asked Jerry what was wrong. Jerry told Mrs. Claus the problem.

Mrs. Claus thought a moment, then reached into her pocket, and pulled out a jingle bell that had fallen off a decoration earlier that day. She then sewed it to the end of Jerry's hat and told him, "This is a lucky jingle bell. It will help you through tough times. As long as this bell is with you, you should not have any problems building toys as well as the others." Since that day, Jerry has not gone anywhere without his lucky bell.

Today is December 23rd, the night before Santa's big ride. The workshop was running behind this year. Everyone was working very hard to get their jobs done. During the course of the busy day, the elves managed to get caught up on their work and went home for the night.

While getting ready for bed that night, Jerry noticed that his lucky bell was missing from his hat. "Oh, no! I can't go to work tomorrow without my lucky bell!" exclaimed Jerry. He quickly phoned Mrs. Claus and told her of his problem.

"Retrace your steps from today and you should be able to find your bell." said Mrs. Claus. "In the meantime, I will tell Santa." Jerry was very grateful, and planned to do just that first thing the next morning.

The next morning (Christmas Eve) Jerry began his search. He walked back and forth between his house and the workshop until he could walk no more. It was already noon, and The Sleigh had to be loaded and ready to go by 6:00 that evening. "Oh, it's no use", whined Jerry, "I'll never find it."

Just then, Jerry looked up and saw Santa coming his way. Santa looked very troubled. "Jerry, I need you terribly. All of the elves have come down with Christmas Fever, and since you were out looking for your bell, you are the only one left to help me finish these toys." Christmas Fever is an elves version of Chicken Pox, red and green spots that only last until Christmas is over.

Jerry was frantic. "Santa, I couldn't possibly build toys without my lucky bell! Isn't there another way?"

"No, Jerry, please help me. I am in desperate need of help." replied Santa.

Not knowing how to say no, Jerry followed Santa, hesitantly, to the workshop. All the while, he was thinking to himself that he could not do it.

When they began building the remaining toys, Jerry began making mistakes. He made dolls with 3 eyes, a train with square wheels, and a teddy bear with no stuffing. This was a terrible day.

The clock struck 2:00 and Jerry realized there wasn't much time left. The more frantic to beat the clock he was, the better his toys began to look. Soon, it was 6:00. Time to load the toys. They made it!

"Because of your bravery and excellent skill, the children of the world will have a merry Christmas this year!" shouted Santa "I am so proud of you, and you will be a hero amongst your fellow elves!" With that, Santa bellowed a jolly "HO HO HO! Merry Christmas!" and was off to deliver the toys to all the good girls and boys of the world.

Jerry walked home that night feeling very satisfied with himself. He realized it wasn't the bell doing the work, it was him.

As Jerry walked in his door, ready for some hot chocolate and a good night's rest, he saw something twinkle just in the doorway on the floor. "My lucky bell! I won't be needing you anymore." and with a smile of pride, Jerry hung the bell on his Christmas tree.

Just like Jerry found out, all you have to do is believe in yourself and you can do anything! Merry Christmas!!!
© Copyright 2011 Crista Jackson (cdavis3936 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1834435-Jerry-The-Christmas-Elf