*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1834917-The-Ring
by Talera
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1834917
Daily flash fiction entry, prompt is to use the words trail, nose and diamond.
“Crap, where is it?!?” Shelley swore to herself. Her long blonde hair fell about her face as she looked under her dresser.

“He’s going to kill me!” Her hands swept over the floor, the dust tickling her nose, eliciting a sneeze.

Craig would be here soon. He would want to see the diamond engagement ring he had bought her. Shelley had a job interview this morning and took the ring off before her shower. Not used to being engaged, it was left on her dresser as she ran out the door.

Now Shelley was home, looking for the ring after her probably failed interview, praying she would find it before Craig came to take her to his parent’s house so they could make the announcement. It’s going to be hard to make one without the ring.

Shelley stood; rubbing the trail on her knees from where they pressed into the floorboards. Racking her brain, her morning steps were retraced to no avail.

Flopping on the couch, Shelley put a pillow to her face, screaming into it. She surmised there was only about 15 minutes until the end of her relationship as a result of losing the ring so quickly.

Tiberius, her tortoiseshell tabby, brushed against her leg, curling his tail around her. Shelley told him of her woes, the cat simply staring and purring. Meowing at her softly, he wandered away slightly before looking at her again. Oh crap, I forgot to feed you.

At least I can fix that. Pulling his dry food from the cupboard, she went to his bowl. Tiberius nosed at something glinting in his dish, looking back at Shelley. The ring!

“I have no idea how it got there, but you saved my life!” Shelley told her cat as the doorbell rang.
© Copyright 2011 Talera (talera at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1834917-The-Ring