*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835360-Not-far-enough-in-to-make-a-name-yet
Rated: E · Draft · Drama · #1835360
This is the draft for a book, if you may, that I am just not started to write. Blessings!
I was walking to my truck, and I heard something. It was Halloween time so you think I would know better. I easily forgot about those things when I got scared. I thought it would be some kind of animal, but once again, I was wrong. It was an animal, but not the vicious kind you find in the jungle or zoo. It was my stupid friend JT who popped out from the bushes next to my not-so-friendly-used red truck.
"Stop doing that!" I shouted at him.
"Haha, you're a scary cat!"
"It's scaredy cat, not scary cat, you moron."
It seemed like JT always got things like that wrong, but hey, what can you do when you drop out of high school at the age of sixteen? His parents were divorced when he was 11 and that kind of made his whole world go down in flames. Sometimes I worried about him, but he was usually a smart kid so I made a note to myself to not always act like I'm his mother.
"Hey Vicky, you wanna do something after you get out of school today?"
'Vicky' was the nickname people have always called me. I guess in Pre-K it was too hard for JT Humphries to say Victoria...so it kind of just stuck. I'm Victoria Nugeness. Long brown hair and nails as short as they can be, because I bite them when I'm nervous. JT then shook me out of my day-dreaming.
"Hey Vick, you listening to me?"
"Yeah, sorry, JT. What do you want to do after school that makes you so excited?"
"I want YOU to get a prom dress. It'll be fun. C'mon, please!?"
It was weird of him to be so excited about something stupid like prom, but he sounded sincere about going.
"Okay, fine." I reluctantly answered him. Shopping wasn't really my thing anymore. The whole girly-girl thing used to be fun in seventh grade to freshman year, but now I've kind of mellowed out.
"I better get going, don't want to be late for school."
"Yeah, I'll pick you up after, Vick!"
We exchanged our goodbyes and I headed up to school in my old cranky truck.

***


I didn't know a day could pass by so slowly. In Ohio, things are pretty gloomy and dull. Rain, snow, or just a cloudy day is pretty normal to everyone. That's why when I'm on a vacation and see a 'Come to Lake Erie to enjoy YOUR summer NOW!' commercial on TV, I say to myself, "No one will ever want to go there. They wouldn't even be able to enjoy the sun because it would be hidden behind a blanket of clouds!"
Finally the last bell rang. I headed out into the congested hallway that smelled of sweat and too much cologne and perfume, and  out into the jungle of a parking lot. JT's blue Volkswagen was waiting in the fire lane, as promised. I smiled to my self and headed out into the damp gloomy day.
I got in the car and shut the door. The first thing I noticed was his new air freshener that smelled like 'new car', but of course it didn't really smell like new car because he got it from one of those rip off car washes. The second thing I noticed was that he was dressed up. JT's usual look was blue jeans and a tee, but today he was wearing Khakis and a dress shirt. I stared at him, completely bewildered.
"Why are you looking at me like that?", JT asked.
I just kept staring. There was something different about him that made me want to reach up and touch his face, to kiss him. He broke the silence, once again, by saying,
"You know, Vicky, you are really weird...in a good way, of course." He flashed a smile that was so bright it was like someone just took a picture and the flash blinded me. 'This is weird,' I thought, 'why am I just realizing that he is gorgeous?'

© Copyright 2011 Natalie Theresa (indie4ever at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835360-Not-far-enough-in-to-make-a-name-yet