*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835477-Midnight
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1835477
Short, short story. Fantasy.
Alone in his doorway, he sits. Huddled in an old blanket and older clothes, their aroma barely masked by the cold.



Directly opposite, a damaged neon sign hums fitfully and flickers. He thinks the letters spell out “Salvation”, although he cannot be sure. Like his body, his eyes are not what they once were. Rheumy now with age, and unsure, they peer fitfully out into the night.



When the old bell tower creaks into life, and twelve sonorous beats fill the silent streets. The old man huddles further into his tiny space, both fearful and hopeful, even after all these years. And wonders whether, when he is gone, will anyone notice his passing? Especially all those he once knew, now long gone and far away?



He doubts it, and the realisation makes him sadder than usual. Unusual for him, as he has long abandoned hope, believing that it is a luxury only for the very young, or the very innocent.   



When into his solitude the sounds of footsteps intrude. Light but confident, sure of their destination. He cranes his neck and stares out into the gloomy street, strangely unafraid, for there is no menace in the sound, only a sense of vague promise. A long forgotten yearning.



After what seems like an eternity he becomes aware of two people before him. A male and a female, strangely, almost festively garbed, even for this city. For a while they stand and watch him when, as if a secret signal has been passed and received, the man produces several coloured balls and begins to juggle. The old man watches spellbound. Even his oldest memories somehow bound up in their glittering flight, each rise and fall a reminder that he was young once.



Behind the man the woman weaves her hands above her head and from her fingertips showers of silvery stars burst forth, soar briefly and drift gently back down. Like softly glowing snow. They settle on the old mans upturned eyes and he is amazed that there is no pain, only warmth. He smiles a gap toothed smile and watches in wonder.



And there, at the end of all things, he has the innocent eyes of a child once more.



If only for a while.
© Copyright 2011 stormwarden (stormwarden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835477-Midnight