*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1836686-Runaway
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1836686
A young girl struggles to reunite her disjointed family and revenge a lost sibling.
         The one thing you can be certain of, when you're at Brooke Home is that you're never leaving. Few are adopted, I'm not saying no one is. But never anyone over the age of three, and that's rare. The thing is, most times your sold as a slave and more often than not, a sex slave. And, if by some slim chance, you're still there and you turn sixteen ... I'd rather not.
         What happens when you turn sixteen doesn't matter because I don't plan to be at Brooke when I become an adult. If I can help it, and I can, I'm never going back to Verlum. Luckily for me, neither is anyone in my group.

         Confused? Feeling like you deserve an explanation? Don't worry, I'll attempt to provide one.
         My name is Summer, and i know for a fact (even before I ran away) that my parents gave that name to me because whoever dumped me at Brooke (curse them) left a note which i found the night of my escape.

Whomever it concerns
         Please, take care of this child. I no one nowhere else to place her. I would leave her with the church but I doubt her father will thank em for raising a Child for the Gods; the same Gods who have continued to abandon him. I have heard terrible things about this place but I do not have time to hunt for another. Her name is Summer, last name Wa. She is six months and her date of birth be July, forth.

         I was shaking with rage by the time I'd finished reading the letter. i didn't know who'd left me. It wasn't my father, whoever the bastard be. Perhaps my mother? I hoped the whore was enjoying her time with my father, without a child. So he thought the Gods had cursed a child upon him? I couldn't wait to find them. I could only see all the babies who came through here. If they didn't die of some illness, if they weren't adopted, they would most likely end up as some rich noble's plaything. I wondered if they'd had more children and dumped them here.
         Caspian says it's perfectly sane for someone to forget what they did for a bit when they get mad enough. Such as, after remember watching a childhood friend get sold to some palace councilman, i "blanked out". One moment I was clutching the letter in Mistress Hunter's office. The next thing I remember I was sitting on a fountain, no idea of my location or what I would do next. i didn't seem to be covered with blood, but that didn't mean i hadn't killed someone.
         I jumped as a clock began to chime. I looked up at the church steeple to me left, surprised to find I had missed two hours. Abandoning any thoughts of the possible murder(s) I'd committed I began to really wonder where i was. I closed my eyes, letting my mental map of ten years on these streets fill my mind.
         Unless I was mistaken I was at Fellow's Square, halfway across town! My only clue was the statue of a noble, commoner, and slave above the fountain.

         "hey girl!" I half jumped and glared at the drunken males staggering into the square.
         "What do you want?" i spat.
         "We jus' wanna make you nic' an' warm, tonight, sweetheart." I snarled, remembering that it was a stupid idea to come out alone, no matter the time.
         "I've already a date. he's just stepped into the church." I lied. I should have known to just make for the church myself.
         "Aw come on! He ain't got six dick's 'as he?" I was surprised the fool could count.
         "No, but I'm not a whore. If you want a fun girl, I hear the bordel is running a deal for drunks tonight."
         "We wan' a bitch with a tight ass." A voice snarled, from behind me. Again, too late, i remembered why I'd have run for the church. Drunk fools following a girl always cover the exists.
         "My ass won't be tight by the time you get to it," i snarled as he pulled me to my feet.
         "You wanna bet, bitch?" He grabbed it and I hissed. I should have known i'd be a plaything eventually. Hopefully by the time I started my monthlies.
         
© Copyright 2011 Violet White (blood15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1836686-Runaway