*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837219-New-Years-Day
Rated: E · Prose · Drama · #1837219
A man finds peace when he gets lost on New Year's Day
I wanted to turn back.  If it was any other night I probably would have.  I wanted a second chance.  A chance to come in from the cold.  I pushed forward, searching for the marked trail everyone took to get there.  All of them said it'd be easy to find.  They probably just didn't expect me to go out on the darkest night to find it.  I heard a story once, about a man who found peace in not knowing the way.  They said a calm came over him and he was refreshed, or so the story would have you believe.  I found no peace in being lost in the cold.  Only a constant struggle to find the way home. 

I looked behind me and thought about why I searched for it.  Even if I found the way, I knew I wouldn't reach the end by morning.  The cold burned my lungs as I tried not to lose my footing.  I wanted to turn back.  But this wasn't the night for that nonsense.  It was just time to deal with the consequences.  What happens if I can't make it?  I don't know.  Don't need to know.  Right now I just need some warmth. 

Must be close to midnight by now.  Never knew how loud the night could be.  Should have brought my dreamcatcher with me.  Sure wish I knew what I was looking for.  Some say the night has no memory.  But I'll never forget.  I wanted to turn back.  If it wasn't past midnight I probably would have.  Then I saw it.  It looked like something out of a Robert Frost poem.  I couldn't stop laughing. 

I think I'll rest here for a bit.  Maybe even sleep until morning.  It's sure a lot warmer than it was yesterday and I never slept well in the cold.
© Copyright 2012 blueciviclx (blueciviclx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837219-New-Years-Day