*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837487-Bruised-Ego
by Alan G
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1837487
Merv is distracted from his wedding day when he wakes up with a black eye.
Merv woke from a cracking headache storming across his shameless brow. He staggered into the bathroom to wash away the stains from his blurred vision and scurried back from the sight of his reflection in the bathroom mirror.
“How did that get there?” He asked himself, running his fingers across the bruising beneath his right eye.
The memories of the previous evening were difficult to recall. A Kebab and chips followed by few beers in the Queens with the lads. It was supposed to be celebratory but light; after all he was getting married the next day. He scratched the corners of his memory but could not recall the events that led to the bruised eye.
Now as he stood peering into his reflection, he thought I can’t go out looking like this, Jayne will be furious. Nice photographs, shame about the eye.
He vigourously washed over the bruise, hoping it would merely be a mark. He then started to apply make up to the affected area. Nothing in Jayne’s cabinet worked. He quickly dressed and raced to the chemist.
“Please can you recommend something that will hide this mark?” He begged the shop assistant.
A camouflage make up was recommended. He purchased it without thought. It didn’t work, well not satisfactorily. He looked like a clown and, the way the day was heading, he was feeling like one too.
Finally he rang his best man, Joe and sought his assistance. Both Joe and Groomsman, Stav, arrived within minutes of being called.
Merv smelled a rat and despite the machinations of uncontrolled laughter, Joe and Stav managed to hold him down while they sprayed and then removed the false bruising. Joe laughed loudly.
“You’ll need to remove that make up, Merv.”

293 words

© Copyright 2012 Alan G (atgeake57 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837487-Bruised-Ego