*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1838873-Chapter-2---Time-Stent
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1838873
This is Chapter 2 of Time Stent
Chapter 2 - Time Stent





Three Years Earlier



“Dr. Grant, that’s quite an incredible accusation,” said Jackson Clarke. This moment represented the rare exception when Clarke, the newly sworn-in President, had been at a loss for words. Out of character, he loosened his red and blue striped tie and unbuttoned the top button of his starched white shirt.

The hastily convened closed-door meeting had been called by the President at the urging of Dr. Grant, the President’s newly appointed Senior Science Advisor and a member of the President’s transition team to the Federal Budget Office. Grant, sitting on the President’s left, grinned with the smug expression of one who had just exposed a dirty little political secret. Grant, a former University Science Department head, Capitol ‘outsider,’ and political virgin, reveled in the new found attention.

Four high-level executive space program administrators flanked three stoic and stone-faced Generals in neatly pressed dark blue formal dress uniforms. Three senior-ranking Legislators sat on the other side of the Generals. All, but the Generals, sat with mouths agape, equally stunned.

“Dr. Grant you’re telling me that our Government just successfully completed a clandestine lunar mission?” the President fumed. “I suppose you have proof? Who authorized this mission? I just spent two terms in our Federal Legislature and I don’t recall a lunar mission ever being in the space budget, nor did I receive a briefing on this matter – and I believe I would have remembered a discussion about a new - and expensive – lunar mission! Why am I just learning about this today?”

The Chairman of the Generals, General Thomas McMaster, answered the President in a commanding voice and a partially raised hand. ““Mr. President, Dr. Grant does not have the proper security clearance to discuss this topic. Nor does he understand the full scope and context of the project. Few in this room do.

“I had planned to discuss and debrief this topic and other sensitive subjects during our scheduled formal debriefing sessions next week; but, Dr. Grant pressed this meeting prematurely for unknown reasons.” McMaster turned and stared unblinking into Grant’s eyes until Grant blinked first and quickly looked away. McMaster noted with a measure of satisfaction that Grant was now sweating and that his smug look had completely faded.

McMaster turned his attention back to the President. “Yesterday, you took the oath of office as our Civilian Commander-in-Chief. Today, you have a ‘need-to-know’ about this and other sensitive programs; and, a need-to-know about their implications to our Federal Security. Do you want to excuse Dr. Grant and any others before I review the classified materials now?  You optionally can grant them access by Executive Order.”

President Clarke’s mind raced. The meeting had taken an abrupt twist -again.

After a decision moment, Clarke answered. “Since Dr. Grant made me aware of this matter, I suppose it would only be fitting if he is kept in the loop. This could be a valuable learning lesson on how our government works,” Clarke said.

“Yes sir. As you wish.” McMaster nodded to the General sitting on his right who opened a manila folder with a red high-level security status tape rimming its edges. He extracted a piece of paper and slid it across the conference table to the President.

“This confidentiality agreement needs to be signed by everyone in this room and it will go into the program’s file as part of our documented security paper trail. This agreement affirms that the information I am about to reveal is classified at the absolute highest level and that any disclosure of this information is subject to harsh penalties as prescribed by the Federal Secrets Act. Further, your signature is your consent that the Federal Government has the continuing and full authority to use whatever means are necessary to keep these materials secret including sanctions, imprisonment, and even the threat of death, if deemed necessary.”

McMaster faced each man at the table individually. The color had drained from almost everyone’s face.

“General McMaster, this is highly unusual,” Clarke stated after he nervously cleared his throat. “I’ve received many high-level classified briefings and I’ve never been subjected to anything like this. And, I am now the President and I am cleared for everything.”

“No Sir, I’m sure you haven’t received this treatment before. Though you office and position may be cleared for nearly everything, there are exceptions and this is one of them. This project is a very special case and it requires very special treatment. I am aware of only four projects in the entire history of our Federation with this level of secret classification.

“This is rare, I agree. However, it is my sworn duty to enforce the Federal Secrets statues and their full consequences. If anyone has a problem with their name being included on this agreement, they should leave the room now. That includes you Mr. President.”

This was the first time Dr. Grant had never been threatened with possible death and he sat speechless. The cocky and sure demeanor when he had entered the President’s Executive Conference Room had been replaced with one of anxiety and uncertainty. He could not think of a graceful way to exit the room without forfeiting his new clout within the new Administration.

Grant watched as the President extracted an expensive fountain pen and signed his name to the agreement with a flourish. Clarke passed the agreement and pen to Dr. Grant and watched closely for signs of hesitation or weakness.

With a barely concealed sigh of resignation, Dr. Grant picked up the pen and signed his name. He then passed the pen and agreement across the table to the Space Administration executives as if it were a hot potato.

After everyone had signed, McMaster placed the fully executed agreement back into its manila folder and slid the fountain pen to the President.

The President took the proffered pen and returned it to his inside coat pocket. “I’m curious about the other four projects you referenced, General McMaster. Is this classification still in effect?”

“Two are no longer classified at this level due to passage of time, Mr. President. I can tell that you that those two date back to when the World was at War. I am allowed to say that the first project regarded the massive and secret preparations for a military invasion on another continent. The other regarded the creation of certain atomic weapons. As for the two remaining projects, let’s leave that conversation for another day Mr. President.”



* * *




McMaster paused gathering his thoughts. “Yes, I can confirm there was a lunar mission. However, this was not a Space Administration program mission. They are off the hook on this one. Both the Space Administration and the Federal Budget Office were kept out of the loop on this project from the beginning because of Federal Security concerns, which I can elaborate on later, if needed.

“Sir, this classified mission was led by the Air Force Space Wing Command. This mission was many years in the making and it has always had full support from our legislative branch of government and the Office of the President.”

McMaster paused again and studied the faces across the table making sure they understood the ramifications of his statement. “Sir, when you were a Legislator, you had been briefed that certain special-op projects engaged by the military were never listed as line items in the budget, correct?” Clarke nodded yes in response.

“This is one of those special-op projects. Members of both the Military and Technology Legislative Committees were confidentially briefed during the planning and funding stages. Every committee member validated their support in writing for this project. The military branches adhered to the full letter of our Federal oversight laws and we have supporting documentation.

“For reasons that will become apparent in a moment, most of the approving legislators are not with us today because they are either dead, or they long ago retired and left government service.

“This project began when you and I, Mr. President, were still in elementary school. This project was approved and was classified then as an ‘ultra-sensitive, eyes-only, need-to-know top-secret program.’ The fourth phase of this project’s planned multiple phases was finally concluded last week. It was forty years in the planning, construction, and execution. There are more phases yet to come,” McMaster said.

“Alright, let’s begin. Perhaps it would be simpler for everyone to understand if I showed the catalyst that started this project.” McMaster extracted a portable data device from a pocket and plugged it into a computer data port. He keyed a few password strokes to access the contents of the portable data drive. Moments later, iconic images, representing electronic file folders, were displayed like a menu on the large high definition screen mounted on a wall.

“The genesis of this program is traced to an April event 40 years ago. Do any of you remember anything significant that happened in April 40 years ago?” McMaster asked.

“I personally think I was playing T-ball in the first grade and I learned about its significance much later,” McMaster said.

One of the senior Space Administration program administrators, Dr. James Randall, leaned forward in his chair. “Well, I remember that month as one of our finest hours. We brought one of our ill-fated Apollo lunar missions home successfully.”

McMaster nodded in satisfaction. “I’m not surprised you remembered that fact about your agency, Dr. Randall. Anyone else?” he paused, looking from face to face.

“Actually, Dr. Randall is right on the money.” McMaster stood and gestured to the screen. “This represents a collection of photo images captured by one of the Apollo mission crew forty years ago.

“You may recall from your high school history class that this Apollo mission experienced an oxygen tank explosion while in route. Unable to fire rockets to return to earth, the Apollo command module used lunar gravity to slingshot back to earth on a free-return trajectory. They made a historic safe landing.

“At that time, publically everyone expressed severe disappointment that the crew of that Apollo mission was not able to complete their lunar mission as planned. History has written their lunar mission was a failure. Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.

“Here’s the set-up. There have been over 100 lunar missions in the past 40-years. Every mission has always looked down studying the lunar surface and has never looked out – away from the surface. And would they? The lunar surface was the primary focus.

“The damaged Apollo command module was not able to control its flight orientation and it was constantly in a slow roll on one axis, sort of like a cement mixer turning, only turning very slowly.  On the far lunar side, for part of the transit voyage, their view was not looking down at the far side of the lunar surface; but, instead was looking out, away from the surface. This is the irony of the mission. If the craft had not been damaged and oriented accidentally in this direction, then we still might be in the dark.”

McMaster opened the first electronic file. The screen faded from black to a field of dazzling starlight.

“This is an image taken looking out and away from the far lunar side. Nothing too exciting at first glance is there? Let me direct your attention to the small flare of light on the right of the screen that resembles an elongated diamond. The Apollo crew later testified in a confidential debriefing statement that at first they thought the flare of light was an optical distortion caused by the camera lens. Sometimes light refracts in camera lenses and produces odd-looking flare patterns.” McMaster clicked a key and a second image appeared.

“In this image, the command module has now traveled hundreds of miles in just a few moments time. They captured the small flare of light again. This time, the image of the flair was larger – here on the right side of the photo. The crew commander stated that he realized then that the flare must have been the result of light reflecting off of something in nearby space. He wrote that his first instinct was that it must be a damaged piece of the command module flying in tandem with them. He wanted to document what the errant piece might be; so, he zoomed his camera lens in for a closer look. This is what he found and this is what started this entire project.”

Gasps erupted from the Space administrators. They immediately knew the object in the image could not be space debris from an Apollo command module. It was far too large.

President Clarke stood up and walked to the wall-mounted screen to get a closer look. The object had a curved, half-round shape on one side and a flat side on the other. Against the stark black of space, the object had a dull and tarnished bronze-tinted patina which resembled a full slice of a ruby-red grapefruit that had been cut in half. The surface of the object seemed worn smooth of any definitive features.

“What is that?” asked Clarke.

“That is the question that we’ve grappled with for over forty years Mr. President. This is not debris from an Apollo command module or any other mission to the Moon by any country. We didn’t have any answers until last week when it was retrieved.”

The President’s head snapped around as if he had been slapped. “The mission was to bring this thing to earth?”

“Yes sir,” McMaster answered.

“The Apollo command module flew in range of that object only once before it traveled back to Earth. This was the crew’s last image. However, as part of this program’s special mandate, we’ve piggy-backed some of its secret mission profile onto other lunar missions since the Apollo flights. For example, do you recall when the Space Administration deliberately crashed a lunar satellite probe, and, from that experiment, determined water was present?”

“I don’t remember the specifics of the mission; but, I do remember that water has been detected,” Clarke replied nodding.

“Accompanying the satellite probe that crashed into the lunar surface is the LRO, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. This satellite has many sophisticated instruments that measured the plume of debris churned up by the probe’s impact, which is how the Space Administration confirmed water was present.

“From time to time, the Air Force Space Wing Command has ‘borrowed’ use of the LRO’s camera and reoriented the craft’s instruments to look up instead of down. Here is one of the more recent images that the LRO captured.”

The next photo showed a far sharper view of the star field and a thin crescent sliver of the lunar surface at the bottom of the frame. The optical resolution was better focused and much clearer than the Apollo images. The President searched the image intently; but, nothing jumped out immediately to his untrained eye.

“I’m sorry, I don’t see anything,” Clarke stated.

McMaster pointed to the center of the screen and made the motion of a circle with his finger indicating an area of interest. “Focus on this area. Does that help?”

The President leaned in and studied the image. He could see nothing out of the ordinary to his untrained eye. He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. “Nothing,” he said.

McMaster gestured for the next image and while the next image was of the same orientation, something was different. “This is the same view taken with an ultraviolet light filter which captures reflective heat signatures better.”

The President looked again and did a double-take. There was not just one detectable half-moon shaped object. There were four identical objects almost symmetrically spaced apart.

“Based on this orientation, we believe there may have originally been six objects that were equally spaced about half a mile apart in a hex-shaped pattern.” McMaster motioned again and a six-sided image of a hexagon, with red lines connecting the hex points, was superimposed over the remaining four objects. The objects were almost perfectly aligned. “Two of the objects are missing from the suggested formation. They may have drifted off or they may have been knocked away at some point by an asteroid or some other event; but, we’re speculating on that point.”

Dr. James Randall, the senior Space administrator, joined the two men unasked at the high resolution monitor and asked the key questions on everyone’s mind. “Who put those there and when?”

McMaster folded his arms and faced the two men. “Our file said those were almost exactly the same words that the President used forty years ago; and, those words, gentlemen, is what set this entire project in motion – to find the answers.”

McMasters ticked off a series of questions in rapid fire. “Who placed these objects in orbit? When were they placed there? Why were they placed there? What is their purpose? Until last week we didn’t have any answers. Now, we have a few answers; but, we also have more questions.”

“Alright, what do you know?” asked the President.

“Sir, I think most of what we know will become self-evident in a moment,” said General McMaster as he returned to this seat and took control of the computer.

“First, let me tell you about the recovery process. We’re pretty proud of it. The Air Force Space Wing Command operations center at Vandenberg Air Force Base launched a Black Star shuttle from a mobile launch platform ship in the middle of the Pacific three weeks ago. This new shuttle features our latest generation of stealth technology.”

“Pardon me, General,” Dr. Grant interrupted in a condescending tone that mirrored his attitude. “Why does the Air Force Space Wing Command operate and need stealth shuttles? I thought space shuttles were a thing of the past because of their enormous expense.”

“The primary mission of the Black Star shuttle is to service our many reconnaissance satellites. This capability has allowed us to refurbish and upgrade our satellites rather than letting them fail and fall back to earth. Actually it has proven to be a tremendous way to save money, which I’m sure you can appreciate Dr. Grant.

“This capability improves and lengthens the life of our surveillance assets. We used Space Administration shuttles for decades for this purpose until we built our own shuttles after the Space Administration shuttle program concluded. Being able to do this refurbishment task without anyone watching has been a significant tactical advantage. Our private shuttle project had been approved by previous administrations with no reservations.”

         “To continue, the mission crew and shuttle craft performed flawlessly. The operational aspect of the lunar voyage was outstanding. Our first mission surprise came when we closely approached the first object. Not only did the targets have familiar-looking grappling holds for our shuttle’s robotic capture arm; but, the target objects fit perfectly in the cargo bay holding area, almost as if they had been made to custom fit there by design. Fortunately, this made securing the objects much easier than expected for the return flight.”

“Once the shuttle returned to earth, we transported the recovered objects to a safe and secure location for inspection and quarantine.” McMaster noted. “In our first preliminary examination of the object, we encountered a second surprise.”

The next image showed a magnified view of the object’s surface, which appeared to have been buffed and worn nearly smooth with occasional pits and scaring as if it had been subjected to a tremendous erosive force that had sanded and erased all significant details away. If the surface had been painted at one time, it was impossible to tell.

“Look at this area here. See this faint groove? Beside this groove is what looks like a dimple-like impression on the left. We have ascertained this is a fastener used during construction. And, that fastener, gentlemen, we believe is a MIL601.”

Legislator Willis spoke up befuddled. “MIL601? What’s that?”

“An MIL601 is a standard military-grade pan head machine screw. It is the common fastener we use in constructing satellites and building our military aircraft today,” McMaster stated.

The President opened his mouth as if to say something; but, he changed his mind before he started and closed his mouth instead. After a moment more he finally asked. “Ok, General, there must be a twist to this story. Things must not be as they first seem. So, how long has this object been in a lunar orbit?”

McMaster actually grinned. “That is an excellent question, Mr. President. We can’t pinpoint the exact length of time to the day; but, we have deduced a reasonable estimate.

“Let me tell you what we found. We performed a metal analysis and found an aluminum-alloy casing that was mostly void inside except for a thick, rock-hard crusted layer on the side closest to the lunar surface. We carefully cut open the object and we performed multiple tests on that crust layer. We found sophisticated chemical compounds and trace mineral elements, including chlorine, silicon, and gold.”

“And, then gentlemen, we found the solid evidence we needed for dating the object. We found beryllium-10 and boron isotopes, which can be accurately dated by radioactive half-life technology. The Beryllium-10 isotope has a known measurable half-life of 1.36 million years. Using standard half-life dating calculations, we reasonably think the beryllium we found has been in space about 65 million years, give or take a millennium.”

The President shook his head as if trying to focus his thinking. “Let me see if I understand you correctly. On one hand, you say that little dimple on the screen maybe a military fastener commonly used today; and, on the other hand, you say the beryllium inside the object may have been there for 65 million years? How can that be possible? This technology didn’t exist 65 million years ago!”

Dr. Randall, the Space Administration administrator, spoke up as he shrugged his shoulders. “The only logical answer is that at some point in our future, we will develop the capability to go backwards in time. Mankind placed those objects in lunar orbit.”

Dr. Grant couldn’t contain himself. “You can’t be serious! That’s ridiculous! Time travel isn’t possible! That’s science fiction stuff! There must be a mistake or some other logical explanation.”

“Actually, we can’t think of any other plausible explanation, Dr. Grant,” McMaster noted.

“Space is an interesting place to store things. There is nothing but cosmic dust and cosmic wind to disturb an object in geosynchronous orbit on the lunar far side. The objects were even shielded from the pull of earth’s gravity. Objects in lunar orbit heat up when in sunlight to over 200 degrees and cool down to -455 in the sun’s shadow. We theorize that the prolonged heating and cooling over millennia caused the interior component ‘guts’ to become brittle and eventually crack or flake apart. Combined with a weak lunar gravity field over millions of years, we believe the materials gradually broke down until eventually they reverted back into mostly elementary components. Over time these materials slowly congealed inside the object’s frame to form a rock-like crust on the side closest to a lunar surface. This rock-like material acted like a type of hardened cement holding the object’s original exterior shape intact. As for why there is beryllium in the mix, we can only speculate that it may have been harnessed to provide power. We commonly use it today to power communication satellites.

“Let me direct your attention to another view from the interior. When we subjected this dusty square found in the void part of the object to closer observation by an electron microscope, it revealed an even more critical clue,” McMaster stated.

         Legislator Willis spoke up. “What did you find?”

         “Sir, we found a maker’s mark. This was the manufacturer’s fabrication information plate, which had been engraved and stamped with construction information and dates. Under microscopic examination, this plate revealed that construction of this object will be completed by a company called Network & Space Systems eighteen years into our future,” McMaster said.

         McMaster sat down and turned off the computer and returned the portable data device to his pocket. “Mr. President, this is all we know so far. The insides of all four recovered objects reveal the same pertinent data. However, we have no idea what these objects were constructed to do or why.

“As of today, no known private or public company exists with the name Network & Space Systems. No military branch has programs that resemble these objects in development, nor does the Space Administration have lunar mission profiles in development.

“This is one of those incredibly rare moments when we know empirically both what will happen in the future and what did happen in the past - to the same physical object. But, there is still much we don’t know.”

Dr. Grant leaned forward in confusion. “I don’t understand. What does this all mean?”

Willis answered. “Why, no one can say what it means for certain Dr. Grant. Not yet, anyway. But, I’ll enlighten you with what it means to me from a seasoned political perspective. There are lots of intelligent inferences that can be made counting backwards from a future construction date eighteen years into our future.

“The physical design, construction and testing of a custom-made satellite probably takes ten to twelve years to get through budget cycles. Lab development and prototypes probably take five to six years.

“Add up that time! This means that out there,” he gestured out the window, “possibly even today, someone may be first envisioning and designing these very objects to perform a yet unknown purpose,” Willis said.

The President nodded gravely. “We can’t wait years to find out. We need to proactively find that person now. This has become a top priority for this administration.”



* * *




                   The noise levels inside the University Student Union food court were always loudest around lunch time as students and faculty members busily and loudly chatted while they took a break between classes.

         Dr. Kevin Bates, Professor of Aerospace Engineering, navigated the maze of tables holding a cafeteria tray loaded with a grilled chicken salad and a cold drink. He scanned the crowd looking for his graduate assistant, Flynn Davidson. Dr. Bates spotted him sitting by a wall of tall glass windows typing furiously into his portable pad computer. An empty bowl of rice and beans, and, several empty cracker wrappers sat beside the bowl.

         “How’s the dissertation coming today?” Dr. Bates asked as he sat down.

         Flynn looked up and laid the computer pad on the table, making sure to hit the save key. “It’s going well. I’ve incorporated my latest research and added your new suggestions into this new draft version. This dissertation seems to have taken a life all its own. It is consuming all my time! I can’t even afford to sleep! I have so much to do; and, graduation is at the end of the semester. I’m starting to panic!”

         Dr. Bates laughed loudly. “I’ve been in your position! So much to do, and so little time!! Don’t worry, Flynn! You’re right on track. All doctoral candidates feel the pressure their last semester. I won’t let you be my first graduate assistant to miss graduation.”

         Flynn sighed. “Good. I need your encouragement!” Flynn reached for his coffee cup, took a sip and made a sour face. Flynn had neglected the nearly full cup of coffee and the liquid had grown very cold. “Blah! I hate cold coffee. Excuse me while I heat this up. Here, you can review my changes.”

         “Ok,” Bates said as he took a bite of salad and turned the pad around to view the screen correctly. He scanned several pages quickly until he came to a newly written section. He was still reading when Flynn returned.

         “Well?” questioned Flynn impatiently, eager to know his advisor’s impression.

         “Tell me about this. Why a lunar orbit?” Bates asked.

         “I been thinking about how to resolve the issues you raised last week. First, you’re right. There is a tremendous amount of space junk in low Earth orbit. Theoretically, there is a strong possibility any probe or satellite craft going backwards in time within the past fifty years, or so, might collide with something – either some errant junk object or something placed on purpose. The odds of accurately charting every known orbiting object to avoid a collision at a specific moment in time seems incalculably high.

“Then, there is the problem of the probe or satellite’s possible detection by both visual observation and electronic means. Even if I can beat the odds and avoid running into something, I think the appearance of an unidentified flying object might cause someone to notice and take inappropriate actions.

“And finally, the time portal device itself might be large enough to attract ground-based observations and I think there might be a brilliant energy pool of light when the portal is engaged. The time portal device could be even harder to hide than an actual probe satellite and that could raise questions.

“So, with all this in mind, I decided to relocate the time portal device from geosynchronous orbit around the Earth to a geosynchronous lunar orbit; specifically, a geosynchronous orbit around a far side. Many problems are solved with this approach. There is hardly anything in a geosynchronous lunar orbit so the chances of a collision with man-made space objects are almost nil. And, a natural lunar object will act as a visual and electronic shield for the time portal by blocking all movements, energy bursts, or emissions the portal might make. No one would know about it,” Flynn explained.

“Wow, Flynn. This is inspired! I really like the logic of this new section. What are the downsides to this approach?”

“Transportation cost and delivery vehicles are the only two I immediately came up with. Different types of space ships may be needed to transport the portal and probe satellites than I first imagined. I considered using retired space shuttles; but, I don’t see how you could keep that under wraps since they are mostly in museums and their rocket boosters don’t exist any more. Plus, shuttle launches were very public displays that would be impossible to hide. Additionally, shuttles were limited to an altitude of a few hundred kilometers and certainly they have never make a lunar voyage. So we need some new type of delivery cargo vehicle.

“And, then there will be additional human costs involved with erecting, supporting, and operating the time portal. Constructing the necessary control station will be an ambitious task. And, there will be increased operational risks, as this has never been done; and, rescue options, if needed, are dramatically riskier on a lunar far side.”

“The only immediate thing I can add is to address a communications issue. There are no direct line-of-sight communication options back to earth from a geosynchronous orbit on the far side. A lunar object, as you pointed out, blocks both ways,” Dr. Bates said taking another bite of salad.

“That’s an excellent point. I could solve that by using a simple geosynchronous communications satellite in a lunar orbit to relay data and instructions from earth,” Flynn said. “A polar position would allow a flexible relay option.”

“Yes, it would. OK, then. I like this new section. Theoretically, I think your plan now makes complete operational sense. Polish the language in this new section and I think your dissertation will just about be done; and, we can begin work preparing to defend your dissertation to the Committee.”

Flynn sighed heavily in relief. “Thank you, Dr. Bates! I feel like a cloud is parting giving way to bursts of sunshine! Of course, once I publish the theoretical time travel possibilities in my dissertation, the real-work will be just starting. The harder part will be taking my theory and making it a reality.”

Dr. Bates wiped his mouth with his napkin before replying. “Sure it is. It will also be the most fun you’ll ever have. Speaking of that, have you seriously considered the Dean’s offer of taking an associate professorship position and continuing your research work here at the University? We have available space we can devote to your project; and, we have lots of commercial resources in our area that might help fund such a project.”

“Honestly, I’ve not decided yet. I have to consider my fiancĂ©e, Linda, too. She has been weighing offers for graduate assistantships at schools with top-notch archaeological programs,” Flynn said.

“Yes, you’ve mentioned that before. I started checked around for you. There is a pretty good program at an area university about 20-miles away.”

“We checked that one out already. They don’t have any graduate assistant openings next semester. And, she has been approached by a Midwestern university and she seems pretty impressed by their offer.”

“Before she accepts an offer, let me make a few more calls, on her behalf. I’d hate to see either of you land somewhere in the Midwest.”

“Ok. I’d hate to land somewhere else, too.”

“Flynn, I realize this is an odd question after working so long with you on your thesis, but, I’ve been wondering where your interest in time came from.”

“Oh, that. I come from a family of horologists. I grew up around time,” Flynn replied.

“Horologists? I don’t know that profession.”

“Horologists are commonly known as watchmakers. My grandfather and my father repair old clocks and make a pretty good living at it, too! I’ve helped around their shop fixing time pieces since I was a little boy.”

“Really? How interesting! I imagine that must be difficult work.”

“Well, I suppose it is more exacting work than difficult. Either a time piece works correctly or it doesn’t work at all. There is no room for error if a time piece is to keep time accurately. Once you understand how a clock functions, then it is simply a matter of making sure the mechanical components work together smoothly and in harmony. It can be a very meticulous procedure to get all the pieces to fit together just right.”

“That profession would take more patience than I can manage,” Dr. Bates laughed.

“Me too, actually. That’s why I’m not pursuing a professional career as a horologist. I really got interested in understanding ‘how’ time works after talking to my grandfather once when I was a small boy. He’s a great story teller. He’s the one that clued me into the realization that time is relative and that time is not always constant. He taught me that time naturally slows or speeds up depending on what one is observing and where one is located. He also taught me that clocks are simply artificial devices used to measure and track the passage of time from the present. And, that the present is always fleeing into the past as soon as it happens. He also said that calendars and clocks can be used to predict, but not guarantee, a future point of common reference – and that’s all they can do. Heady stuff for a young boy to grasp! I wanted to learn more.”

“Your grandfather must be a bit of a philosopher, too.”

“Perhaps. He’s one of the smartest men I know and he never went to university! So, that’s when it all started for me. I was at my grandfather’s knee learning about how clocks and time works. I’ve been hooked ever since.

“I can share one other practical thing he taught me.”

“Oh? What’s that?” Bates asked.

“Avoid sneezes. I once had to search for an hour to find a missing watch gear that I blew off the work bench after a good sneeze. Any idea how tiny those gears can be?” Flynn held up one hand and indicated by the space between his thumb and his finger that the gears could be incredibly small.



* * *
© Copyright 2012 alphadogkc (alphadogkc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1838873-Chapter-2---Time-Stent