*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839417-Corruption-Too
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Sample · Fantasy · #1839417
The next chunk of Corruption for those who are interested.
Chapter 4

         New Toys





Even at night, the city thrived. The markets remained open, the shops continued to peddle their wares, and the citizens still milled about, talking, buying, selling, and all under the illumination of lights scattered throughout the city. When Blade examined one such light, suspended by a long metal pole angled so as to hang over the street, he saw that the light itself came from an odd little stone that glowed brightly, shining its light upon the people.

“Haven't you seen a sunstone before?” Hides asked. Blade, of course shook his head. Hides, getting beyond his initial shock, explained. “As odd as that sounds, I'm beginning to believe anything with you. A sunstone is just like any other rock, but it has magical qualities. The magic allows it to drink in the light of the sun all day, and then it glows with the same brightness at night. There are all sorts of stones like it, with magical qualities, but each does something different. You'll know 'em when you see 'em. They're kinda hard to miss.” Blade nodded his understanding and followed the two young orphans.

They wound their way through the streets, and Blade stopped to ask where they were going. “Our nature allows us to know who runs the best shops, the best equipment for the cheapest price.” Frost explained.

“Yup! That means you're gonna get a lot of new toys!” Hides put in.

“Will I really need them?” Blade asked.

“You never know, in a world like ours.” Frost began. “Beyond the city's walls are creatures of the nasty sort. I'm amazed you got into the city without a weapon. But, I guess you wouldn't need one. You look like fiends and demons alike wouldn't mess with you.”

“How do you figure that?” Blade asked, almost flattered.

“Well, you're so big!” Hides answered for her.

Frost smiled and walked away, the other two following behind. They walked into an archway with a sign in front reading “Sugumo's clothes!” They stepped into a humble shop, with a small host of people browsing the many piles of shirts, pants, vests, cloaks, coats, hats, sandals, shoes, and boots. It was modestly lit with a few sunstones spaced evenly along the walls and behind the counter, where there were yet more and higher piles and stacks of the merchandise sold here.

“First thing's first!” Hides declared, drawing the curious stares of those closest to him. “Pick out something you like!” Then Hides took a good look at Blade. “I would suggest something that covers you up. Your paleness is making me feel whiter by the second.”

“Hey!” Blade protested.

“On a more practical note,” Frost started. “You are pale to the point that too much more exposure to the sun outside would burn you... to a crisp... easily. I'm amazed you didn't burst into flames on the way here.”

Blade pondered a moment. “I suppose you've got a point. Out of curiosity, how much money do we have?”

“I'll worry about expenses.” Frost assured him. “And if we run out, Hides and I have ways of getting more.” Blade turned a suspicious glare at her. “Don't worry! It's legitimate!” Blade smiled and began to turn away. “Mostly.” Frost finished at his back as he looked through a pile of pants. He immediately froze, for but a moment, thinking about what Frost had just said, but decided to ignore it in the end, and return to his perusing.

Over the course of half an hour, Hides and Frost escorted Blade to a small cubby of mirrors. Three of them faced him at different angles, allowing him a full view of his body in each. He wore a black button-down shirt, buttons fastened to the collar, which was slightly elongated down the front, creating a sort angle in front of his neck. The sleeves went fully down to his wrists, framing his muscular arms almost perfectly. He wore loose black breeches, held up by a heavy leather belt at his powerful waist. His black boots clomped heavily against the wooden floor.

As he examined himself, he saw, for the first time, his face since this ordeal began. His jaw was strong and angular, with a single thin scar on his right side traveling almost to his throat. His eyes were not a deep blue, nor were they a sultry green, but an entrancing purple, a striking hue of violet that held his attention for a long while. His black eyebrows arced almost delicately, furrowing with intent at the center of his forehead. His black hair, cut short, barely topped his oddly pointed ears. The bangs of his hair hung low, somewhat, to stop just above his brow.

“I like it.” Hides said.

“It frames you quite nicely.” Frost commented. “But...” She stepped forward, and unbuttoned the top few fastenings on the shirt. When she stepped back, the top of Blade's muscled chest showed.

“So,” Hides began, a curious expression on his boyish face. “What exactly are you? Are you one of the Fey?”

“The Fey?” Blade asked, not quite understanding.

“Apparently not.” Hides muttered. “The Fey are a race of beings that usually avoid other species. Not much is known about them, but you kind of look like one. That's why I asked. I actually didn't expect you to remember anyway.”

“You're discouraging him!” Frost snapped.

“You two delinquents have come to spoil my wares yet again?” Came a voice from behind. Blade turned with Hides and Frost to see one of the catlike humanoids approaching. Like Blade's first attire, the creature wore no shirt, but unlike Blade's, this individual's pants were quite nice. Almost gaudy, actually. A light tan, bordering on gold, dominated the garment, framing his digitigrade legs near perfectly. From his waist flowed a more skirt-like garment, open at the front and nearly touching the ground.

“Can I not have a moment of peaceful transaction?” The stranger asked.

“Sugumo! Good to see you!” Hides shouted. “And I'm sorry, but no. But this time, it's not us that's wearing your merchandise badly; it's him!” Hides graciously indicated Blade with a grand flourish. “Blame this guy for any problems you have today.”

“I will judge whether he is deserving of my wrath myself.” The one called Sugumo stepped up to Blade, barely taller than the angular man. “Welcome to my shop, stranger. I am Sugumo, finest merchant in Madevasus! Welcome to my shop!”

“You said that twice.” Blade pointed out.

Hides elbowed him hard in the ribs and leaned over to whisper in his ear. “He knows that. Part of his act.”

Blade simply nodded.

Sugumo looked him up and down, appraising his choice of attire. “I don't know why this impetuous creature said you wore my wares badly. I especially like this little touch,” Sugumo reached out and indicated the unbuttoned portion of his shirt. Frost merely giggled behind Blade.

“I thank you for the compliment.”

“Are you new to Madevasus?” Sugumo asked.

“New to... well, this world it seems.”

“Oh?” Sugumo's eyebrow above one green, slit-pupiled eye rose. Blade simply shrugged, having no simple answer. “Very well. I would assume you are unfamiliar with the races, then?” Blade simply looked up at him, almost begging an explanation. “Very well, you may as well know what to call me.

“I am what is known as a catman.”

“Really?”

“No, just kidding. My real race is called the Lamadan, in your language.”

“Boy, that really rolls off the tongue.” Blade commented.

“Doesn't it?” Hides chimed loudly. Frost smacked him in the back of the head.

“Is there no such thing as stealth to you, boy?” Sugumo asked, smiling as much as his feline face would allow.

“Not really, no.” Hides replied, earning yet another smack from Frost.

“At least we can admire his honesty.” Blade commented, eliciting a hearty laugh from Sugumo that shook his powerful chest.

“I like you. Feel free to visit my shop anytime. And for your first outfit in this city, it is my treat.”

Frost's jaw immediately dropped.

Sugumo walked away, chuckling to himself as Hides and Frost stared at Blade in utter amazement. When Blade turned to the two, he was set back on his heels. Frost was the first to regain composure. “Sugumo's clothing, though cheaper than all others, has always been more expensive to us, and us alone. You got your outfit for free the first time you talked to that thing!”

“I heard that!” Came a shout from the back of the shop, where Sugumo was taking inventory.

“Well, shall we move on?” Hides and Frost immediately agreed.

Frost, almost angrily, led the way across the street. 'Mugulo's armors,' read the sign before the archway. “Step inside, and try not to please anybody too much.” Frost snapped.

Blade, giving her a prudently wide berth, stepped inside, where the shop's layout was much the same as the first, but much larger, and with far more sunstones illuminating the place. The light framed many fine suits of armor, gauntlets, greaves, breast plates, helms, and various other pieces that Blade could not identify.

“You two?” Came a shout from directly ahead in the nearly empty shop. “Get out! I lost three thousand gold last time you were here! Leave! Go bother my father!”

“Already did that, friend.” Hides called back. Another Lamadan strode up, this one in a fine armor that advertised his trade. A heavy breastplate accentuated his broad chest, and contrasted sharply with his deep blue fur. Bracers of a fine metal of a silvery finish adorned his wrists. A garment much like Sugumo's wrapped about his waist, but upon his legs were greaves designed to match his unique structure.

“Another tornado to wreck my shop?” Mugulo asked, indicating Blade, but the moment he glanced at the man, he paused. “What would be this tornado's name?” He asked, his expression softening.

“I am Blade, sir.” Blade said, the name rolling uncomfortably off his tongue.

“You look like you got your clothes from my father, Sugumo. I am Called Mugulo. I assume you are here for armor, and not to chat?” Blade nodded.

“Sugumo is your father?” Blade asked, his head cocked in curiosity.

“Aye, little one.” Mugulo declared, proudly. He looked at Blade, scrutinizing him, making him shift as he did under Frost's intense glare, and reminding him of that awkward time. “I think perhaps I have armor that might suit you.”

He lead the three to a stand holding up a suit of armor heavy enough to begin to bend the pole upon which it rested. The closer Blade got to the heavy suit, the more he resolved to avoid it at all costs. “I'm not so sure.” He said.

“Hmmm...” Mugulo began. “At least try it on.” Blade nodded, not wanting to argue the point too far.

Some time later, Blade emerged, slowly, from a fitting room near the back of the shop. Although Blade was incredibly powerful, he had to lift one leg at a time and nearly drag it forward. He could barely lift his arms high enough to wield any sort of weapon, and the visor of the helmet repeatedly fell over his eyes, blinding him until he managed his hands to put it back up.

“Nope.” Hides and Frost said in unison.

Later, free of the cumbersome death trap, Blade stood in front of a sort of belt of leather that protected his abdomen. The leather was soft and flexible, but strong and sturdy. It was broad and protected his whole stomach up to the bottom of his sternum. When he wrapped it about his waist, and fastened it into place, it allowed complete movement. He liked it, and the deep brown seemed to go with his black outfit rather well. “I like it,” he said.

“Agreed.” Mugulo began. “I imagine you'll want to see the rest of the set.” Mugulo began handing Blade several items. First came a pair of bracers made of a similar leather to the belt, but much stiffer, and conformed to Blade's forearms extremely well. Next came a leather breastplate, soft, like the belt, but strong. It, too, provided ease of movement when Blade put it on. Finally came a shoulder guard that extended slightly beyond Blade's broad shoulder and flared somewhat near the edges, stylishly protecting an area that Blade somehow figured he might use often.

“This armor will repel an arrow or two, turn a sword and even diffuse most magical energies aimed at you.” Mugulo explained. “It will not, however, compare to the protection a heavier set of armor could provide. This seems to be your style, though, and you wear it well, I think.”

Examining the bracers and the armor that seemed to mesh with him, Blade couldn't help but agree with the sentiment. “Thank you. What will this cost?”

“If you return to repair the armor, I will consider the debt paid in full.” Mugulo stated. He then turned to greet another customer, a burly Lamadan holding a plate helm and staring forlornly at a hole blasted in the forehead area.

Blade turned to Frost and Hides, a smile on his face. That smile was washed away when he beheld their almost identical glares, aimed straight at him.

“What?” Blade asked, almost insulted that the two would seem to despise him so.

“Let's just go to the weapon shop!” Frost snapped, throwing her hand up in disgust and storming out of the shop. Blade followed, flanked by an equally angry Hides.

They walked down the street a ways and entered “Lugumo's Arms and Armaments.” Within the store, they found two counters paralleling each other up the shop, walls that were once again illuminated by sunstones, and weapons on racks, resting on the counters, up on display, and mounted up high with trophies not far from the weapons that claimed them.

Shortly after entering, a great roar filled the space, and echoed in the shop. Blade had no idea where it was coming from. He heard struggling from behind, and turned. He was just in time to spot Hides and Frost, each pinned to the great chest of a massive Lamadan that dwarfed all the others that Blade had seen, its massive forearms as thick as Blade's neck wrapping about the two orphans' necks.

“Quick!” The Lamadan shouted. “While I have them occupied, run for help!” The Lamadan tossed the two aside and easily crossed the seven foot distance between him and Blade in one huge stride. “You need all the help you can get with those two.”

This humanoid chose to don a heavy shirt of chain mail, with similar gloves and leggings built to his frame. His massive eight foot frame. Upon the patches of fur that Blade could see through the armor, there were stripes upon his skin where fur did not grow. Blade quickly realized that they were not stripes, but scars! Numerous scars criss-crossing the creature's body!

“I am Lugumo, owner of this weapon shop and smithy. In the back is the forge, but I doubt you'll know your way around there. In here is likely where you want to be! Where the weapons are! Har, hah!” Lugumo gave a hearty clap upon Blade's back that nearly sent the much smaller human flying. Lugumo seemed not to notice.

“You look like a new face.” Lugumo started. “But you look like you know your way around weapons. Take your pick, and come to me if you have any questions. My shop is always open to you. Not those delinquents. You. Not them. You.” Lugumo walked away to showcase a decorative sword to a group of customers. It seemed to be an auction of some sort, because offers of money immediately began to rise for the beautifully jeweled blade.

Blade walked over to Hides – the pile of weapons that hid the boy. Blade dug him out of his steel tomb, bearing a few scratches from Lugumo's rough handling. They walked over to Frost who had somehow gotten caught by her collar on a hook high above the floor, dangling helplessly until they eased her down, an expression of nearly boiling rage seething behind her facade of cool stoicism.

“Well,” Hides began, attempting to diffuse Frost’s continually rising ire. “Shall we begin?” He walked away, leading Blade by the arm away from the volatile Frost.

Blade browsed through the stacks of weapons, Lugumo shifting to glance at them from time to time from the groups of customers that he entertained. Blade lifted one short sword, slightly shorter than his forearm. He swung it from left to right, slowly, getting a feel for it. Lugumo once again stepped up behind Blade. Blade turned to greet him, seeing the crowds of people disperse, the auction apparently played out.

“Now that that's over, I would like to assist you in any way I can in selecting your weapon.” Lugumo reached forward and grabbed a similar sword, somewhat longer than the one Blade held, and frowned. He placed back where it had been. “A weapon should be a part of the wielder, as the wielder should attune himself to the weapon. When you choose your first weapon, you will know which one fits you. It will twang on your heartstrings, and you will feel a yearning to wield it.

“But the feeling does not come easily.” Lugumo went on. “You must test many weapons to find the one that best fits you. Like I did, so long ago.” Lugumo looked up at the mountings above the counter, to the most lionized of the trophies. It was a great, black skull, the likes of which Blade could not place. The skull was wide, large and angular, with ridges above they narrow eyes, seemingly locked in a perpetual glare. Horns curved gently from the back of the skull, and the teeth were long, sharp, and numerous. Beneath the skull were two of the largest swords Blade knew existed; flambergs. Both were identical to the other, with hilts nearly as long as Blade's forearm, and crosspieces nearly as thick. The wavy blades extended to nearly as long as Blade was tall.

“Are those your blades?” Blade asked, turning to Lugumo.

“I call them Goliath and Earthbreaker. Yes, I wielded them. In my youth.”

“Both of them?” Blade asked, almost fearing the answer.

Lugumo chuckled and looked down. “Yes, I would wield one in each hand.” Blade almost couldn't stop his jaw from dropping. The strength Lugumo had to possess to wield such massive blades, and not be encumbered must have been enourmous! “You see, I was, and still am, a berserker.”

“A berserker?” Blade had heard the word before, around the city, and from some of the things said about them, he had a slight inkling as to what they were. He could not, however, be sure that such sayings were true.

Again, Lugumo chuckled, but said nothing as Blade looked at the sword he held, and then replaced it in its rightful area. Blade moved to a longer sword, this one's blade running the length of Blade's entire arm extended from the shoulder. Blade lifted it, and liked the weight of the weapon, though it was nearly perfectly balanced, and elegantly executed. Blade placed it back down, noting it for future consideration.

Blade lifted a broadsword next, a bleeder moving down the middle of the blade on both sides, the rut perfectly smooth, and again, elegantly executed. Blade knew well enough the purpose of such a rut: When one cut into an enemy, the bleeder would accumulate blood, seeming to bathe the wielder and all around him in the red fluid. It could make the wielder seem more frightening, or even send him into a bloodlust, a rage of homicidal violence, especially if the wielder was a berserker.

He put the broadsword down, wanting to avoid such a mess. He moved down the isles, inspecting axes, hammers, bows, maces, clubs, and various other, more exotic weaponry that Blade couldn't truly identify. At some point, Blade paused to consider his knowledge and skill in the art of combat. Again, as before, he was somewhat unnerved by such knowledge, and drew away from it. He quickly reasoned, though, that if he were to find any clues about his past, it would likely be necessary to exercise such an advantage.

If he needed such violent skill sets in his previous life, than in order to find it again, he would need to embrace those skills.

Each weapon he came to, he either liked, or strongly disapproved of. Never, though, did he feel that resonance that Lugumo had said he would feel. Never did he come across a weapon that twanged on his heartstrings.

Until he came to one in particular.

It was mounted upon the wall, well illuminated by sunstones. Blade reached up to touch to the scythe, its shaft perfectly straight and free of blemishes or burrs. The blade was, oddly, black, and its curvature was gentle as the tip of the blade extended to nearly two feet from where it met the shaft. He gripped the weapon, and gently lifted it from its stand. Almost immediately, he felt the weight of the scythe, but to one such as Blade, the weight was not cumbersome. In fact, he almost believed that such weight could be used to his advantage. As he gazed at the edge of the blade, seeing himself in the reflection, he was almost consumed by a desire to wield the thing.

Blade deftly twisted his wrists and the scythe went up in the air, jolted into a twirl by Blade's movement. As it came back down, Blade caught it, and to absorb the momentum of the thing's movement so it didn't drag him in some random direction, he spun it about first in one hand, then the other, deftly moving it as easily as his own fingers. He swung down, the blade barely brushing just above the wooden floor, and the scythe leaving his hand once again to be caught by the other. Another twirl and Blade shouldered the scythe, the shaft long enough to allow the blade to almost wrap about his opposite arm. Blade was now glad for the shoulder pad, for had it not been there, the scythe would be painfully digging into his collar bone and shoulder.

He turned to regard a very dumbfounded Lugumo, with similarly afflicted Hides and Frost flanking him on either side. “I think I found it.” Blade said, and truly, his statement rang with all honesty.

The three didn't doubt it.





*          *          *          *          *





“Half price.” Hides complained, pouting with his head bowed and staring at the ground aimlessly. Blade followed, and Frost came behind him, her expression just as forlorn as Hides'. “He gave the thing to you for half the original price! It was even the second cheapest weapon he had! And you got it for half its original price!”

Blade had his hands clasped behind his head, quite proud of himself. The scythe was clasped firmly by a device attached to a strap about Blade’s torso. “Reflex technology,” Lugumo had called it. Opened, the device resembled two halves of a pipe, laid out beside each other. When something was pressed into the area where they met, some material within the device snapped, and clamped the two ‘halves’ firmly upon whatever it was – in this case the scythe – and held it fast. Gravity and jolts from jumps and running alone wouldn’t dislodge the scythe. Blade had been able to test this. When Blade reached below, to the lower half of the shaft protruding below his left hip, and pulled upon it, the reflex device would snap back open and release the scythe.

They entered the magic shop, “Tyrassa’s tonics and whatnot.” It seemed the design layout for shops in this city was a staple, or some generic standard. It was little different from the other three shops, aside from the merchandise and the lighting method. Rather than sunstones, there were streams and streaks of light shooting this way and that, slowly, and lazily through the air about the inside of the shop. They gently illuminated the area, and their multicolored tails mesmerized Blade, though not Frost or Hides.

“Welcome to the best magic shop this side of the Crimson Mountains.” Hides muttered. “All sorts of bits, baubles and beakers can be found here, alongside your typical chants, incantations and conjurings.”

A pained, high-pitched wail pierced the air. Blade winced at the pain he now felt in his ear. As the wail died down, a Lamadan, somewhat smaller than the others that Blade had seen, stepped into view. Obviously a female, she wore long, flowing robes, white and long enough to brush the floor, hiding her catlike legs. While her features were considerably more delicate and beautiful than the other three Lamadan that Blade had met, all males, she exuded an air that was no less powerful or imposing.

Storming right up to Hides and Frost, she screeched, “What could you two possibly want in my shop? Do you remember last time?”

Hides shrugged, as if it didn't matter. “What's a few thousand gold between friends?” The female Lamadan narrowed her slit-pupilled eyes. “And you even admitted that you had a hell of a time turning those cats back into Lamadan.”

“That was sarcasm you jobless lout!” The Lamadan snapped, seemingly on the verge of hysteria.

“Hey!” Hides said, still smiling. “You didn't say 'homeless' this time!”

“Last time I said that, you made it perfectly clear that you have a home.”

“Right, and what did you learn from that ordeal?”

“That apparently, everywhere is your home.”

“Damn straight.”

“Except my shop!”

“Aw, damn.”

“Now who is this?” The Lamadan turned to Blade, suddenly curious and quiet. “Another lout to wreck my shop, or a prospective customer?”

Blade shrugged. “Perhaps a bit of both?” He said, eliciting a loud, harmonious laugh from the Lamadan, contrasting the shriek she had sounded earlier. Turning back to him, she smiled. It was a much more comforting smile than the one that Sugumo had given him. Behind the female Lamadan, though, Hides and Frost began to glare at him anew.

“I am Tyrassa. As long as you keep these two in line, you're welcome in my shop. If you require any help in any magical area, please, come to me. I will be glad to help you.”

Blade smiled in gratitude, and then frowned somewhat, thinking. “What is it?” Tyrassa asked.

“I'm actually not sure what magic is.” Blade replied, to which Tyrassa rocked back on her heels, if she could, as they were raised off the floor. Eyes wide, she regarded him curiously. “What's wrong? Don't you teach people about magic all the time?”

“Yes, but my audiences are typically small children. Most everyone knows the tales surrounding magic, but I will teach you, if you so desire.” Blade nodded. “Very well.

“The story of magic and how it came about was originally an epic, a poem that could span several hours to tell. I know the epic, word for word, although for the sake of time, I feel I should annotate it.”

Tyrassa whipped about, and flung her hand in a wide arch before her, throwing a small orb of light, sending it streaking to the middle of the shop where it hovered midway between the floor and the ceiling. After a few moments, it seemed to suddenly explode, engulfing Hides, Frost, Blade and Tyrassa in, not flames, but a vast moving image. It seemed to Blade as though he had been plunged into the life of yet another stranger when the image of a man appeared. He had fiery red hair and flared armor covering his muscled torso. The man stood before a vast temple, a fortress seemingly made of solid gold.

“Before the earth came about, there were the Gods, sitting upon their thrones in the Pantheon, their temple and fortress.” Tyrassa spoke as though she had rehearsed this, and she probably had, Blade realized. She likely told this story several times a day. “For centuries, all the Gods did was quarrel and war with each other. They had no central control, no leader and no direction. Each only served their own self-inflated needs.”

As Tyrassa spoke, the fiery-haired man began a battle with a female Lamadan that wore armor that appeared made from ice and frost. Then a flash of green light distracted them and another man entered. With long, dark hair, dark armor and a solid oak staff with a glowing emblem atop it, he moved down the stairs of the temple. He glared at them, and they bowed their heads in respect.

“At least until one God decided to say 'Enough!' Gaia stepped forth, and, wielding a power unlike any other, sublimated the other Gods into unity. Through him, they experienced peace for the first time, and set aside their differences, and settled petty grievances once and for all. Life was good for the Gods. The Gods, however, began to feel confined in their temple, large as it was, and convened. There were only twelve Gods, and they began to grow bored of their immortal existence. They agreed to use their power to create a solution.”

The Lamadan and the fiery-haired man looked to each other first with hatred, and then their expressions softened almost simultaneously. They looked to each other forlornly, apologetically. Blade saw them embrace, pull away and then bow to the man with the staff. The long-haired man smiled, and Blade assumed he was Gaia.

The image cut to one in which Gaia, the Lamadan, the fiery-haired man and nine others were arranged in a semi-circle in a great hall, all staring into the floor. At first the floor reflected the ceiling, and then it began to shift to a backdrop of stars. It was an image of the sky. As Blade watched, large stones floating in the cosmos were brought together and a massive spherical stone was created. At first it was fiery and molten, and then it cooled and solidified.

“And so the earth was born. From their good graces were the mountains forged and the rivers and oceans dug. From them came life, and continuation therein. The Gods were satisfied as they presided over the new world. Gaia ruled over it all, and his rule was kind and wise.”

The new world began to turn blue with the water filling the oceans, and then the landmasses turned green with forests. Blade could see lights appear upon the surface of the planet, and as he watched he realized they were cities. They grew in size to encompass the globe, utopias and havens all.

“However, ever ravenous were the Gods. They coveted Gaia's power, that force that he used to unite them, that force he used to rule over our world. They rose up against Gaia. While he fought valiantly, he was ultimately overtaken, and finally killed by the minions of the Gods. However, so great was the power he commanded, without him to contain it, it burst forth and destroyed the other Gods and their armies.”

The image once again showed the twelve in a semi-circle. The fiery-haired man looked first to Gaia with enmity, and then to the female Lamadan beside him with intrigue. They exchanged a knowing look, and then looked to Gaia in unison, both with sly looks on their faces. The other eleven began to advance on Gaia, and Gaia slowly backed off, and was cornered.

The image then showed a bloodied oak staff fall to the floor, the glow in its emblem doused. Next to the bloodied staff fell a similarly gore-drenched hand. From the area the hand fell from came a puddle of blood, slowly growing to take in even the staff. The staff's emblem began to glow so violently that Blade had to look away until the image cut once again to an image of pandemonium upon the earth.

“For years, the world that Gaia had striven so hard to protect and make perfect, fire rained from above and the seas heaved and the stones quaked. The mountains shuddered and storms raged. Forests grew angry and desserts became restless. Many civilizations that had arisen were destroyed by the chaos that engulfed the world. The survivors didn't expect to survive long, and yet prevail they did, and became the three dominant races today; the Humans, the Lamadan, and the Shri' Kan.”

Seeing Blade's puzzled expression at the sharp-sounding name, Tyrassa explained, “Those lizard-like humanoids you've no doubt seen.” Undisturbed, Tyrassa continued. “Eventually, the torrential apocalypse lost momentum, and died down. From the ashes arose yet new civilizations. And something else.”

The image shifted to a Shri’ Kan in flowing robes similar to Tyrassa’s, with glowing white energy flowing from his clawed hands to circle about him. “The power that Gaia wielded, now coursing through the lifeblood of the planet itself, can now be harnessed and utilized by those willing to seek it.

“This is magic, the power that allows the existence of sunstones, of these magical beakers, even the images I have just shown you. Magic is all around us, and we can use it. It answers to our call, and willingly bends to our will when used properly.”

The image died away, and the room was restored to its natural lighting. Tyrassa looked gravely to Blade. “But be warned. There are those who, instead of calling to the magic around us, forcefully take it from the earth. Their magic is unstable, and often awesomely powerful. In their attempts to take other things that they desire, they usually kill themselves in the process. Those that survive, though, become those scourges that can destroy nations if unopposed.

“And then there are manifestations of magic in areas where it is highly concentrated. Where magic rules the landscape, you can always find creatures, both of flesh and blood, and of wind or fire. Beware these beings, for they will do you harm. Now you know all that you need to for a magical basis.”

Blade paused to digest the story. Then, “Without the Gods, how does this world continue?” He asked.

Tyrassa smiled, enthralled by this human's curiosity. “The world was created by the Gods, and through Gaia's rule, vast cities arose. Even today, you can see their ruins and remains scattered throughout the surface of the planet. Even beneath the stones are there remnants of Gaia's legacy. But, without his guidance, the journey back to that level of development is a long one.

“The Gods were less integral than most believe. They merely presided over the world, and the world was more independent than the populace thinks. Ultimately, the Gods, from the very beginning, designed the earth to be self-perpetuating, and as eternal as the Gods themselves.”

Blade smiled. When the question entered his mind, he had become worried that perhaps any day the world could burst apart, absent of Gaia's presence. Now comforted by Tyrassa's answers, Blade asked, “Would you have anything for memory?”

“Memory?” Tyrassa asked.

“I do not know who I am.” Blade explained. “I awoke in the dessert, and met these two.”

“Oh, you poor soul.” Tyrassa lamented. “No individual deserves the punishment of meeting Hides and Frost.”

Blade and Tyrassa shared a chuckle at the two orphans' expense, earning the human and the Lamadan glares from them that were ultimately ignored.

“So do you have any spell or potion that might help me regain my memory?” Blade asked again.

Tyrassa frowned in thought, placed her elbow in her hand and tapped her teeth with her index claw.

Only now did Blade notice those claws. Unlike most cats, who could retract their claws within their paws, the claws of a Lamadan were mounted more like a human's fingernails.

“I don't think so.” She finally said. “I have a potion that will enable a photographic memory, but none to restore lost memory. I don't think I can help you in that respect.”

Blade nodded, somewhat disappointed, but no more daunted than he was before. “I intend to leave the city. What do you have that can help me out there?”

“Ooh... Lots of enemies outside the walls. Lucky for you, you came to me.” Tyrassa moved to one side of the shop, followed by Blade and the others. Tyrassa lifted a vial with purple liquid swirling within, opened it, lifted it to her nose, and took a quick sniff. She stoppered it once more, nodding, and turned back to Blade. “This will multiply your strength many times over, but only once and for a short time. Use it only in the most drastic of circumstances.”

Blade nodded and accepted the offered vial. “How much?” He asked.

“We'll worry about cost when you're ready to leave. There are other oddities that might be of interest to you.” Tyrassa moved swiftly away, and Blade and company followed. Tyrassa lifted a similar vial, but with a yellow liquid inside. “I have a few of these. If you smash them against the ground, they will release the power within: the power of lightning. Be careful, though. They can singe off a bit more than an eyebrow if you don't.”

She reached across the isle and snatched a larger vial of red fluid from the shelf. “Do not open this until you absolutely have to. The moment you do, a torrential inferno will be released. If you're not ready, you will die. Slowly. Painfully. Horribly. Got it?” Blade, with a slightly more pale face than before, nodded grimly as he grabbed the vial.

Tyrassa looked at the vials in Blade's hands, grabbed awkwardly and ready to drop. “This may help.” She reached high, higher than Blade could have, to a high shelf from which she took a small leather pouch. “This is powerfully enchanted. If you so desired, you could hide a corpse in here.”

“But it's just a small bag.” Blade protested.

“You underestimate the power of magic, my friend.” Tyrassa said, a sly look on her face. She handed him the bag, inside which Blade placed the vials. “At the moment, all my other potions help in domestic life. Love potions, potions that attract the opposite sex, potions that contain a building within them, indestructible brooches and the like. If you come back later, though, I will likely have something more for you.”

Blade smiled and nodded, belting the small pouch. “Thank you for your help. How much do you want for this?”

Tyrassa thought a moment. Then, “I'll take thirty gold.”

“Done.” Blade looked to Frost, who angrily removed the gold pieces. Blade handed them to Tyrassa who dropped them into a similar pouch she had given Blade. She looked up and smiled.

“Will that be all?” Tyrassa asked.

“I think so.” Blade replied. “By the way, how did you know you could fit a corpse in the bag?”

Tyrassa looked away, shyly. “I think that secret is better left concealed.” She looked back to Blade, and glared at the two orphans. “Now please get them out of my shop!”
© Copyright 2012 Cadence (cadence at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839417-Corruption-Too