*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839695-Extra
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1839695
First day as a real actor.
This was Jean’s big break. Months auditioning for commercials, off-Broadway shows, and one awkward meeting she walked out on that was probably for a low budget porno. She had no offers, no jobs. No way to make money, except for the one awkward meeting, and she wasn’t that desperate... yet.

But now, her worries were over. She was a real working New York actor. She had two days of work on the set of a famous TV show. She had told her parents she was going to be a “Featured Guest”. The reality was a little different.

Just three feet away, the stars were doing their second take on a scene. Jean couldn’t help but stare into the camera. She was sitting in a booth in the restaurant set, and just over the lead actor’s shoulder was a bright red light and a deep black lens. It put her in a sort of trance. She imaged her face being captured by the machine, broadcast across the nation, and appearing in homes everywhere. In a few weeks, she would be famous. That beautiful young actress who was sitting behind the main characters in that one scene in the restaurant. It was the start of a wonderful career.

“CUT!”

The director stormed over to the table where Jean and the other extras were sitting.

“We have to make a change. You, blonde girl, big eyes.”

Jean’s heart was racing. This was it. She was being discovered!

“Your character is blind now. Close your damn eyes and stop looking at the camera. Amateur.”
© Copyright 2012 ProseAndConst (proseandconst at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839695-Extra