*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839718-Welfare
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Adult · #1839718
My opinion on welfare.
Just because you are able to create children, doesn’t mean you should have children.  Just because you have a child, that doesn’t make you a mother.  There are many different characteristics that make you a mother.  Simply giving birth and having a child, those do not count.  A wolf can do that and then eat the offspring that are too weak to survive.

It just so happens that I live in a very high taxed state.  All taxes are high.  We are actually rated as one of the poorest states to live; we have one of the highest unemployment percentages, and the highest taxes. Go figure.

One of the highest tax levels we have is state taxes, especially the taxes that go to help the unemployed.  I have always worked, started working at about age 13.  I work my ass off and I can hardly survive.  Some weeks or months I don’t pay my bills (I work out payment plans).  I legally own nothing in my own name.  The closest I have is my car and the bank still owns that because I’m still paying for it.

Let me explain to you how easy it is to get state aid in this wonderful place I live.  When I turned 18 I lived in my own, cute, little, one bedroom apartment. I worked two or three (depending on the time of year) part-time jobs at a minimum wage hourly rate to support myself.  I was young, so I was not exactly a financial genius and I did tend to spend my money on useless, unnecessary things.  I was single and I did not have any children.  I walked into a state office, filled out all the required paper work and within a matter of a couple months the state paid for more than half my rent, half my electric bill and gave me (just me) $300 a month food stamps.  Pretty nice right?  This means all the money I made from my jobs that wasn’t going to bills (that the state was paying for) I was free to spend on whatever the hell I wanted.  When I turned 21 the state cut me off, I asked why.  Their response was; if you had children we would continue to give you benefits.  So, you are telling me if I went out and got knocked up I could continue to have you pay for all my bills? Hmmm….

I was young and dumb.  Looking back on that situation I kick myself in the ass for ever have taken advantage of state benefits.  Because, in reality, I didn’t REALLY need them and there are plenty of people who truly do need the help.  However, it was a lesson learned.

I love going into a store, seeing a young mother of five who is carrying a Coach purse, has her nails done, is obviously very tan (in a state that gets more snow than sun) and is wearing all brand new, name brand clothes.  Her children are all running around in clothes that look too big, too small, stained or have holes in them and they are acting like little animals because they are obviously getting no discipline, education or stability at home.  She buys a bunch of junk food, cigarettes, alcohol, beauty products and uses an EBT card to pay for what she can.  Really, these are the people that are getting my hard earned money?!?!?!?!
How about this, instead of me working my ass off and giving you money so you can spend it on crap and ignore your children and not be a mother.  Why don’t I stop giving you money and you can sign over your parental rights and I’ll raise your children for you, I bet they’ll have a much better life.  Hell, I guarantee they will!
© Copyright 2012 AverageAmericanChick (americanchick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839718-Welfare