*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839796-The-Patriot-and-the-Red-Coat-IV
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1839796
Technology and a treasure map are good, but no guarantee of success.

"Yes, a secret treasure map," Linda whispered.  "The French had a chest of gold coins that they didn't want to fall into British hands.  The chest was secretly buried on my family's farm."

"If I show it to you Bobby," she said, "you have to swear to keep it secret."

"Cross my heart and hope to die," quickly making the most serious commitment I knew of.

"OK," Linda said.  "It's good that you swore to that, but I still have to ask my Grammy.  It's really her map."

"It's getting late," she continued.  "I'll ask Grammy tonight, and we can meet back here tomorrow."

You can imagine how much I slept that night.  Soldiers marching through the forest where Nathan Hale grew up, French gold being hidden from the British, stuff right out of a book!

The next day was cooler, so I wore a light blue jacket.  No red for me.

Linda on the other hand obviously preferred red.  She had a red sweater on.  It actually looked good with her blond hair.  Not that I paid much attention to that stuff.

"Grammy knows your Aunt and Uncle, so said that I could show you the map," Linda said.  "Honestly, I don't think she believes we can find anything because she and every generation has tried with no success."

Linda opened her laptop, and brought up the image of a simple map.

"This is a scanned image of the paper map." she said.  "What Grammy forgets is something my laptop has that her generation didn't.  A built in GPS."

"Watch what it can tell us," Linda added.

It was amazing.  A flashing symbol showed where we were on the map.  The bad news was that there was no fence next to us as the map claimed.

© Copyright 2012 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839796-The-Patriot-and-the-Red-Coat-IV