*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839844-Thing--Chapter-4
Rated: 13+ · Other · Teen · #1839844
Chapter 4- Crash
After a night of not much work, I lay down in the dark on Lucas's couch. His family had made me feel so welcome in their house and I even heard his mum and sister chatting in the kitchen earlier on about how much of a good impression I had made. I could hear Lucas in his room playing his guitar, he was probably writing some new material. His phone beeped every so ofter too, it was no doubt Max, his best friend and bandmate, they were rarely apart and if they were they were constaly texting each other. The sound coming from Lucas's guitar made me reflect back on the past few days.

I hoped Joe was alright after the whole situation with Gem. He used to be a bit of an idiot towards me but since he had gotten closer to Gem, he was closer to me too. He had turned out to be a decent guy, I felt like I could trust him a lot more. I couldn't believe he had managed to get rid of Gem, I was so hapy for him, he could've ended up in the exact same state as Lucas which wasn't a good one. Ge really had blown it, nobody would trust her sooner or later. I heard footsteps on the stairs and saw Lucas creep round the door. He looked worried.

I got worried instantly, the beeping on his phone had stopped about 5 minutes previously and there was a new awkward, quiet atmosphere filling the room. Lucas paced around the room for a while and finally settled at the end of the couch where my feet were. He stared at a spot on the wall and sat forward with his forearms resting on his legs; a position he sat in when he was deep in thought. The look on his face suggested he was happy but serious, he had never confused me this much. His breathing became heavier by the second, he was worried too.

"Lucas, whats wrong?" I couldn't let the silence go on any longer, we were both worried about someone, but it probably wasn't the same thing. I needed to know what was going on in his head.

"Gem." That one word summed up the awkward atmosphere, the worry, the deep thinking. I couldn't understand how much she she could've caused, though. Lucas had a happy gleam in his eye but all of his body language completely disagreed with it. He was in an emotional battle with himself.

"Well, what's she done? It can't be that bad, can it?" I started to feel anxious. What if it was that bad, what if he was hurting so much inside he physically couldn't tell me what she had done. She'd already caused enough pain, I found it difficult to believe she'd carry on.

"I'm with her, she just asked me out and I said yes. She's so cut up about Joe she needs support. You don't mind right?" The shock went through me as if I had just shoved my hand into a pylon. The tears flooded and stung at my eyes as they worked their way to the surface of my eyes. How could he have done this to me? Sure, I'm not the best, but I'm not that bad, I really didn't deserve it.

"Of course I mind! Who the hell do you think you are? You were telling me how much you hate her and how much pain she caused an hour ago, you need to sort yourself out!" I pulled on my shoes, pulled my coat over my pyjamas, grabbed my bag and stormed out the door. I broke down in his front garden, the wails must have woken his neighbours up at least but i didn't care. I called my mum to come and pick me up and as soon as she heard my sobs she told me she was on her way. I had never felt so ashamed or betrayed in my life.

Mum pulled up within minutes and I was soon back at home. I made myself a huge mug of hot chocolate and wandered off to my bedroom feeling completely numb, I guess the news hadn't sunk in yet. Well, it was that or I had just become an empty shell, both were a possibility. I pulled the covers over myself and settled down. The tears had finally stopped streaming down my cheeks and my nose was glowing red from a mixture of the cold and the crying. I couldn't get the words Luke said out of my head. They were spiralling round and round and they wouldn't stop. I attempted to sleep but it didn't work. I checked Facebook but all that I could see was Lucas and Gem talking to each other which made the heartbreak worse.

Just as the words had stopped working their way round and round I managed to drift off to sleep. However, I soon recieved a highly unwanted awakening. I stretched and sat up in my bed to the sound of my phone buzzing on my bed-side table.

1 new message
      Gem
© Copyright 2012 E.C.Ware (em_ware at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839844-Thing--Chapter-4