*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839899-Flower
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1839899
John thought his life was over when the holocaust began. Until he met Flower.
The truck ride was bumpy, and very uncomfortable. John sat at the back with his parents, a flood of thoughts rushing through his head. One of them is if he is ever going to forget the day he was taken from his home. They came like thieves in the night. Taking him, his parents, and anything necessary. The horror he experienced all at the age of fourteen. The trucks were almost dead, if it weren't for the sounds of the trucks, and the silhouettes of the others, Including his parents. No one dared speak for fear of the guard might beat them. Finally the truck stopped. The entire place was filled with the noise of parents letting go of their children, getting beaten, or babies crying. John stuck with his parents. But it wasn't long before a guard was standing in front of the line they were in. "Women, and children," he made a gesture with his arm and pointed to his right,"This way, men," he points in the opposite direction, "That way." There was noise all through the line. Women were crying, babies screaming, children holding on to there fathers legs with tears going down there cheeks. "Son," his father now kneeling down to him, "I want you to take good care of your mother now. You might not see me for a while." He acted as if he were a child. Now tears were streaming down both of there cheeks as John nodded. His father hugged him and then it was just him and his mom, and the other women and children. They came to two different houses, and the guard told them that women go to the house on the right, children in the left. They did so with as much difficulty. As John walked into the house, he noticed many other children either sick, crying silently, or minding there own business. John found an empty bed, and set his things down on it. That was about the time when he noticed the girl on the bed next to him. They both were staring into each others eyes. He felt different. He had never felt this way before about someone. She was beautiful. Her blond hair, her eyes, it looked like the holocaust hadn't affected her, then finally, she spoke up. "You're new here?" That was a really obvious question. John answered her all the same. "Yes, how about you?" He didn't know how to speak with her since this is the first time he had loved someone. She just smiled, and answered. "I've been here for three days." John now felt a bit of sorrow for her. Things were already bad enough by the war. Then she said, "What's your name?" Then he said, "John." He didn't think to ask her name, so in his head, he called her Flower. Because of the way she stood out in all the tragedy. The next day, they walked together around the fence, talked, and for the first time in a wile, John had a merry time. The next day, John and Flower did what they did the day before. This time one of the boys came and hit him in the head. John sat on the ground holding his head, and the boy circled him with a wooden stick. Two other boys held Flower and kept her from running. Then, as John was getting up, the boy struck him again, but in the gut this time. John was on the ground again, holding his stomach, and just as the boy was about to deliver the blow that would send John into a comma for days, a guard took the boys stick and knocked the boy on all fours. The other two ran off, while John was getting nearer to Flower. The guard was now picking up the boy, and scolding him as he took him to the medics. Then, John spoke to Flower. "What was that about?" Then Flower told him that that boys name was George, and that he had a crush on her ever sense she got there. After she finished her story, they both set back to the cabin. Sense then, they never left each others site. A few months later, It was Johns birthday, and Flower was there to wake him. They both went outside, and ate there breakfast. They spent the day together, and just before bed, he took her to his bed, and underneath was a hole he had been hiding for the past month, now accessible for travel. "We can escape now." said John looking at Flower. Who was now looking kind of sad. John held her shoulders and said "We can be free, we can live together, and leave this gloom behind and start from scratch. Doesn't that excite you?" Flower pondered this and then spoke. "John, this isn't right, what of your family? Will you just abandon them while they suffer here? And my little sister is turning eight this year. I can't just leave her, and my parents and just live free." John is now covering up the hole. "I've already thought that out, when we've escaped, we'll come back and bring all of them out, and get our revenge on the guards." Flower now is looking kind of scared. "It's like I don't even know you anymore, you're talking about murder, you're talking about taking lives-" John cuts her out. "Guilty lives that should make there judgement now." Then Flower says, "You're not the man I fell in love with. You've become a man that I don't want to know anymore." Then, Flower left. John sat on his bed feeling angry, sad, and heart broken. Then it came time for bed, and John had decided to apologize about what had happened. But she never came. he waited 20, 30 minutes, and no Flower. He realized that something was wrong. So he got up quietly, and looked for her. he reached every corner of the place, and didn't find her. He rested against a wall of a building for a little while, and then noticed that there was a hole under the building. He went down the whole not waiting for daylight. As he got further down, he heard the voice of a boy talking to a few other boys. "Maybe he won't come." said one voice. "He will come, he loves her to much to not. He came further down the hole and heard them leave. As soon as he noticed they were gone, he reached a secret tunnel that stretched up to 15 feet big. As he wandered around, he found Flowers unconscious body. He tried to wake her, but then heard the noises of someone entering. He quickly hid, and noticed it was George. who came and hid Flower down there. Johns rage got the better of him and he rammed his head into Georges gut. Then while George was stunned, John got on top of him, and started hitting him, then the two boys came and grabbed John, and held him in front of George. George then asked "Where is your secret tunnel?" John then replied, "Why do you want to know?" Then George said, "The same reason everyone would want to know. To spring free of this hell hold. To get life back. So where is it?" There was a small pause, then after, George punched him in the gut. "Where is it?" He repeated. When he didn't answer, he punched him twice. Then he pulled out a knife and asked again. When John didn't answer, George sliced his cheek. He asked again. When he was about to kill him, Flower hit him on the head with a rock. The other two dropped John, and ran. John then ran up to Flower and held her tightly. "You came." said Flower. "of course I would. Why wouldn't I?" said John. Flower then said "I thought you would be angry with me." Then John smiled and said "No one can stay angry at a flower." Then they hugged and brought Georges unconscious body back to the surface. Then the went back to the cabin. Two days later, the girls were sent home, while Flower was packing, John caught her. He had been crying that's obvious. And Flower was tearing up. "I came to tell you bye." "There is never a good bye in love, there is simply hello." Flower was now crying. "Oh John, I fear that we will never see each other again." They were now in each others arms crying. "If not, I want to tell you, I love you." said John, and as they reached for each other, they kissed. This was a very emotional kiss that would stay with them, even long after they had parted.

THE
END
© Copyright 2012 fiction reader/writer (irishman1415gm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839899-Flower