*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840003-Yaya-Toure-Can-Only-Get-Better
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by AMOUNT
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1840003
Feature on Ivorian soccer star Yaya Toure
Ivorian footballer Yaya Toure has been named the African footballer of the year 2011 and it proves ample testimony for the able manner with which he distinguished himself on the field throughout the calendar year.



The 28 year old won the highest number of votes in a poll decided by head coaches and/or technical directors of National Associations affiliated to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) the body which controls the game on the continent.



Toure finished ahead of Seydou Keita of Mali and Ghana’s Andre Ayew who finished second and third respectively.



The Ivorian plays his club football for English Premiership outfit Manchester City who currently sits on top of the league table and are looking good on winning their first premiership title.



The African footballer of the year award is the most prestigious individual honour in African football and in winning it; Toure becomes only the second Ivorian to claim that honour since its inception in 1992.



Didier Drogba, who also plays in England for Chelsea, was the first to win it when he was named as the continent’s best in 2007.



The award capped an amazing 2011 for Toure who helped Manchester City win the English FA Cup, and contributed greatly in helping the Sky Blues qualify for their first ever appearance in the European Champions League.



Toure scored the winning goal in the final against Stoke City at Wembley Stadium in London to ensure the first Cup success for Manchester City since 1969 – their fifth in all.



At international level, Toure helped his country qualify to the 2012 African Cup of Nations (AfCON) football tournament to be co-hosted by Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.



These are facts that cannot be denied and it speaks volumes for a player who has showed tremendous character, courage, determination and proven ability wherever he has played.



His football career began in 1996 when he joined the famous ASEC Academy in Abidjan the capital of his native Cote d’Ivoire as the first step towards honing his talent.



A call to Europe soon arrived and Toure moved to Belgium where he played for Beveren for two-and-a-half years before transferring to Ukrainian side Metalurh Donetsk where he stayed for a year and a half.



Some impressive displays in Eastern Europe soon caught the eyes of Greek side Olympiacos who signed him on in 2005. He played for a season for the Greek giants.



Cote d’Ivoire played at the FIFA World Cup for the first time in 2006 in Germany, a tournament in which Toure performed and it was not long before he was on the move again.



French Ligue one side AS Monaco and he played in the French Municipality for one season before being snapped up by FC Barcelona of Spain who paid €9 million for the midfielder on August 26, 2007.



His performances for FC Barca were not left unnoticed which prompted Manchester City to pay a reported £24 million to secure his services on August 14, 2010.



Aside the personal honour of Africa’s best footballer 2011, Toure has other club honours including winning the Spanish La Liga with Barcelona (2008 – 2009 and 2009 – 2010).



He also won the European Champions League with the Spanish giants in 2008 – 2009, the European Super Cup 2009 and the FIFA Club World Cup also in 2009.



Toure won the Copa del Rey (Spanish Cup) with Barca in 2008 – 2009 and the Supercopa de España (Spanish Super Cup) in 2009. He won the Greek League and Cup double with Olympiacos in 2005 – 2006.



At the upcoming AfCON in Gabon/Equatorial Guinea, Toure is expected to play a pivotal role for the Ivorians who are tagged among the favourites to win the competition.



Should the Ivorians win, Toure will go down in history as having won everything there is to win in football aside the FIFA World Cup and it pays great tribute to a player who at 28, can only improve his game.

© Copyright 2012 AMOUNT (okoto442 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840003-Yaya-Toure-Can-Only-Get-Better