*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840022-Dinner-For-Two
Rated: E · Short Story · History · #1840022
This was a project for a creative writing class in high school - may add more later.
As we walked up to the hut, Hayato raced ahead of me, and held the door back for me. Thanking him, I removed my kutsu and stepped inside, where I was greeted by the scent of freshly made beef stew. I had been cooking all day, and hoped it was all right. He followed suit, sitting down on the floor. The mats on the floor crunched under the weight, and he smiled at me. I dished out the meal, serving him first, as is custom. We sat in silence, enjoying our dinner, while outside the river whispered its secrets to us, and the villagers found their way home for the night, after a long day’s work. The last rays of the sun’s light streamed through the window, illuminating the room, making it come alive in the waning hours of the day. Once finished, he rested his hand against the hilt of his sword, sighing quietly and letting the food settle.

“That was delicious,” he finally said, making me slightly blush.

“Thank you,” I said, bowing my head towards him. Kneeling there, I couldn’t help but think what it would be like to come home to this every day, to see his smiling face, to watch him protect us from the attacking warriors of the other villages. We always seemed to be at battle, ever since the Satsuma and Choshu clans allied to overthrow Tokugawa. I really didn’t know much about the war, only the pieces I picked up from travelers or samurai wounded in the fighting. I was the one who saw to them, mending their wounds and tending to their needs. I saw so much suffering in the past few months, from the warriors themselves to their wives, weeping at the bedsides of fallen heroes. I stared out the window, watching the stars peek their heads out from their beds, waking to the blue black sky and greeting the moon. The moon tonight was a wondrous sight, full and beautiful, glowing through the darkness, a beacon of hope for all those involved in combat.

“Toki, is there something the matter?”

“Hayato, I know its not my place, but why do you have to go? Why is it your task to try to bring peace to the feuding clans?” I asked, finding myself almost in tears.

“Because, I am a samurai. I serve the daimyo, and he has sent me to fight for him.”

“But, do you have to obey his every command?”

“Yes. That is my duty. To serve my master without question. My loyalty is to him.”

“What about the loyalty you serve to your heart? How many times have I heard you say that you thought the revolution was useless? That too many men gave their lives for a worthless cause. Are you going to join them?” I asked. Only after the words flew from my mouth did I realize how outspoken I had become. I hung my head, folded my hands on my lap, and closed my eyes, waiting for him to reprimand me for my actions. Instead, he lifted my chin so that our eyes met, and smiled sweetly at me.

“Most men would have taken offense to a woman who would openly dispute governmental affairs with them. I find it attractive. Not many women would have come out and spoke from their spirit,” he said, making me feel a little better. Still, the thought of him on the battlefield, sword drawn and armor strapped to his chest, fighting for a cause he strongly opposed didn’t seem right. Then I thought back to the priestess and my work today. One soldier, just barely breathing was brought to us, covered in wounds. I saw Hayato laying there on the bedroll, injured, and my tears rolled down my face.

“Don’t go. I don’t want to see you get hurt. Please, in the name of Buddha, stay behind!” I begged, not ready to lose him just yet. He stood up, taking my hand, and led me outside. We stopped under the cherry tree, its blossoms perfuming the night air.

“See the tree’s sprouts? They bloom, thrive, and in a while, they will fall from the tree and die. They do this without question, without hesitation every season, because it is their purpose. My purpose is to protect the ones I love,” he whispered to me so as not to wake the sleeping townspeople as he took hold of my hand, “ to protect you from danger. If that means fighting for a worthless cause, I will gladly go to war, just as long as I know you’re safe.” A gentile wind blew through the town, rustling trees, and playing with the hem of my kimono. Something in the sky caught my eye, and I quickly looked up.

“A shooting star. Quick, make a wish,” I said, folding my hands and closing my eyes, “Please, let Hayato return from battle unharmed. Let him be safe.”
© Copyright 2012 Mina Wells (tessmerrin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840022-Dinner-For-Two