*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840647-Winning-The-Jackpot
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1840647
The big prize on his favorite game show.
“Roger, you’ve got one question left. Are you ready to play Ten Million Dollar Trivia Jackpot!?” As the host said those last five words, the audience yelled them in unison.

The booth Roger was sitting in turned bright red. “Yes, I’m ready to play.”

The crowd erupted with applause. It was extremely loud, the room was getting hotter, and the microphone taped to Roger’s chest was starting to itch. It wasn’t lost on him that this show was being watched by millions of people. He was the biggest fan of Ten-Mill Jackpot, and now he was minutes away from the top prize.

The host read the question, but it was a blur. Roger heard the words, but they wouldn’t come together. He stared at the host, who stared back at him with his television smile.

“Roger, would you like to use a Helper? We’ll cut the jackpot in half, but it can help. You can Phone-Your-Mother or Look-In-The-Bucket.”

The audience swelled again, with shouts for every option “Don’t do it!” “Call your mom!” “The bucket! The bucket!”

Roger mumbled his answer.

“I’m sorry, Roger. What did you say?”

“I’d like to look in the bucket.”

“Alright, let’s bring out that bucket!”

Two men handed Roger a big red bucket. The audience hushed as Roger pulled out a portable television. It was set to Ten-Mill Jackpot, and there was a tiny Roger on the screen, holding the red bucket, sweating nervously and trying to smile.

“I don’t understand,” he said, holding up the miniature screen.

“The bucket brings everyone something different. Are you happy? Seeing yourself on your favorite show?”

Roger stared at the screen again. Now he was beaming, and the room didn’t seem too hot, and he knew exactly how to answer the jackpot question.

“Yes. I’m so happy!”
© Copyright 2012 ProseAndConst (proseandconst at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840647-Winning-The-Jackpot