*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840711-Entry-for-11512-Champagne
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1840711
298 words. My first entry on this site and for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
If Aaron hadn’t been preoccupied considering whether or not he would ever be suspected, he would have been thanking his lucky stars that he’d not yet seen a police car, or even heard a siren. Maybe he would have seen the black ice covering the road while he sped.



The night had panned out just as he’d hoped. He wore the shirt Mary had bought him for his birthday, which instantly elevated her mood, and when he handed her a single rose, he had her right where he wanted her. She gazed into his eyes like a lovesick teenager. To anyone who knew them both, Aaron appeared to be the model boyfriend.

It was safe to say that as Mary served the meal that must have taken hours of preparation, all to impress him, she hadn’t expected Aaron to lace her champagne with the lethal poison, Cyanide.

The plates were now on the table, and Aaron took two flutes to her side of the table, kneeling to kiss her, then handed her the tainted drink. She beamed as he simply said “To our future together.”

They both took a large mouthful of their champagnes. Mary squinted her eyes slightly, and gasped. “Does this wine taste strange to-” was all she was able to say, before gulping and gasping for air. Mary frantically wrapped her arms around her abdomen. The ordeal took less time than it took for Aaron to locate the large amount of cash that she had so foolishly told him about, too soon in their relationship.



Now distracted, and with almost two hundred thousand dollars in the truck, Aaron’s car slid across the ice on the road, locking the wheels and thrusting sideways into a tree, bursting into flames upon impact.
© Copyright 2012 Samantha Kate (skelt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840711-Entry-for-11512-Champagne