*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841160-The-Worst-step-Chloe-ever-took
by Mafe
Rated: · Essay · Experience · #1841160
it's not all that glitters that is gold
It was a sunny day in the month of July. The sun took its rightful position very early. Chloe was excited as she was trying to prepare for a party which she was invited to by her best friend who was celebrating her twenty-first birthday. Melinda as her friend was usually called had gone to great length to ensure a hitch-free party; a party that would remain the talk of the town. Although it was not intended to be free for all, a lot had been done to stamp the occasion on the memories of many people long afterward and it did stamp a memory in Chloe’s life. On that fateful day, Chloe arrived at the party in a short chic gown. She went over to greet her friend Melinda and was then introduced to a young handsome guy who was standing beside her. That was how she met Jake. He was a young man of twenty four, getting to know him better, she found out that he was very wealthy and already had his own house, fleet of cars and a very fat bank account. As they got talking, he started making passes at her and towards the end of the party he asked her to be his lover. Coincidentally she was completely infatuated with him, but after thinking about all the advice she had received both from her parents and elders while growing up she did not give him a positive answer, instead, she told him that it was not the time for both of them to get into something like that. He agreed with her and promised to check up on her the following day. When he arrived the next day, she introduced him to her parents and used that opportunity to inquire about his family, his occupation and other important things. He told her about his business, that he buys clothes from Ghana and other nearby African countries and then sells them in Nigeria. At first, Chloe thought “buying and selling of clothes would not make one so rich as to be able to dash out $5 million”-which is exactly what he gave, Melinda as her birthday gift, but then she threw caution to the wind and readily agreed to join him in his business venture when he asked her without even checking him out. She came to find out that buying and selling of clothes did not bring as much money as she had earlier thought and she became suspicious of her boyfriend because that is what he became to her, but she put those suspicions out of her mind as she was blinded by infatuation and money. Her parents warned her that it wasn’t all that glittered that was gold, that she did not know the source of his wealth. This was because they did not approve of their relationship, but she turned deaf ears to all their advice. One day, when she arrived from her office where she usually sold the clothes, she found a police vehicle parked in front of her house. On getting to the scene she was arrested by the police men who didn’t disclose the reason for her arrest, she was then taken to the headquarters of the police station. On getting there, she fainted out of shock and once revived all she said was “I’m doomed”. Jake was chained to a post, half naked and brutally beaten; she was then told that she was arrested for being an accomplice to an armed robber, something she knew nothing of. As the saying goes “plenty days for the thief, but one day for the owner” law had finally caught up with Jake. He was a notorious criminal and did not only smuggle in stolen clothes to sell in Nigeria but also smuggled stolen hard drugs and sold it to some important persons in Nigeria, he also killed people for money so that was the source of his wealth. Every effort by her parents and friend to bail her out proved abortive. She deserved it because when the relationship started her parents were against it but left her to make her own decision since she was old enough to do that. While in her cell she thought about all the advice her parent had given her and the sentence that kept ringing in her ears was “all that glitters is not gold” something she kept to heart after her release three years later.

© Copyright 2012 Mafe (marvin_g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841160-The-Worst-step-Chloe-ever-took