*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842015-Kidnapping-on-Flight-579
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1842015
A woman discovers the child sitting next to her on Flight 579 is beng kidnapped.
         Miranda  James  looked  down  at  her  watch,  her  plane  would  be  taking  off  in  two  short  hours  and  she  would  be  on  her  way  to  Virginia  to  move  in  with  her  disabled  mother.  She  looked  at  the  long  line  of  people  ahead  of  herself  laying  their  luggage on  the  conveyor  belt  and  was  glad  it  seemed  to  be  taking  forever.  She  sighed  and  shifted  her  feet  hoping  her  knees  wouldn’t  give  out  from  standing  so  long.

Finally  it  was  her  turn  and  she  practically  threw  her  luggage  onto  the  conveyor  belt  and  rushed  over  to  the  TSA  agent  operating  the  metal  detector.

“In  a  hurry,  miss?”  he  asked  in  a  monotone.

She  shook  her  head,  “No,  sir,  my  legs  just  hurt  from  standing  so  long.”

“I  understand.  Walk  through  for  me  and  then  grab  your  bags.”

“Thank  you.  Have  a  nice  day,”  as  she  walked  away  she  thought  she  heard  him  chuckle.



The  terminal  was  full  and  she  was  lucky  to  find  a  seat  at  her  gate.  She  sat  down  quickly  and  pulled  out  her  Kindle,  she  was  reading  the  latest  Stephen  King  novel.  After  an  hour  it  was  time  to  board  and  she  found  herself  sitting  next  to  an  older  gentleman  and  a  little  girl  who  could  not  have  been  older  than  four.  She  smiled  politely  and  the  little  girl  grinned.



“Where  are  you  going?”  the  child  asked.



Miranda  smiled and  replied,  “Virginia.  How  about  you?”



She  shook  her  head,  “I  don’t  know,”  she  looked  around  and  whispered,  “I  know  I’m  supposed  to  keep  this  a  secret,  but  I  have  to  tell  someone,”  she  giggled.



“Maybe  you  shouldn’t.  Your  daddy  might  get  mad.”



She  giggled  again  and  her  blond  curls  bounced,  “That’s  not  my  daddy.  I  don’t  know  him  that  well.”

Miranda’s  blood  suddenly  ran  cold.  She  looked  around  to  see  if  anyone  had  overheard  and  of  course  no  one  had.  She  leaned  closer  to  the  girl,  “What’s  your  name,  honey?”



“Angel  Vance,  but  my  new  friend  says  my  new  name  is  Candy  Kane  and  I’m  going  to  be  in  movies.”



Miranda  was  horrified!  She  had  never  heard  of  real  movie  stars  using  names  like  Candy  Kane,  only  pornstars.  She  looked  at  the  man  and  was  shocked  to  realize  he  looked  completely  normal.  His  salt  and  pepper  hair  was  neatly  trimmed  and  styled  into  a  comb  over  and  he  was  wearing  a  very  nice  gray  suit.  Surely  this  child  was  lying,  but  how  would  a  five  year  old  make  up  such  a  tale?



“Excuse  me,  sir,”  Miranda  said.  The  man  turned  to  her  and  smiled  warmly,  “I  know  this  is  none  of  my  business,  but  where  are  you  two  headed?”



“To  my  movie  studio  in  California.  I’m  in  the  adult  film  industry.”



Miranda’s  jaw  dropped,  “And  you  hired  this  little  girl?”



“I’m  not  a  little  girl!”  Angel  exclaimed,  “I’m  nineteen  years  old!”



Her  face  turned  a  deep  shade  of  red  as  the  man  began  to  laugh  at  her,  “I  am  deeply  sorry,  you  look  like  you  should  be  in  kindergarten.  I  assumed  he  was  kidnapping  you  and  making  illegal  porn.”



Suddenly  going  home  to  her  disabled  mother  didn’t  seem  so  terrible.  The  man  was  still  laughing  and  Angel  was  still fuming  as  she  pulled  out  her  Kindle  and  began  to  read.  In  an  hour  she  would  switch  flights  in  Memphis  and  be  headed  in  that  direction.  She  hoped  she  had  the  row  to  herself.

© Copyright 2012 Elizabeth Duncan (alabamadawn84 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842015-Kidnapping-on-Flight-579