*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842298-The-Eldest-Princesss-Plea
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1842298
The Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale, as told by the eldest, in a new light.
Good morning, father.

Yes, I have something I wish to ask. May I sit down? My feet are aching.

Last night? Last night was just like every other night.

He slept like a babe, just like the rest of them. He is old, after all. I do not even think I need to give him the potion in order to make him sleep tonight.

Are you sure I must give it to him still? We do not have an endless supply of the potion, and there might be many more foolish men who decide to try their luck.

Very well.

Oh, yes, my question. It is a small matter, father. May I speak frankly?

Thank you. It is concerning the men, actually. The potential suitors. I was wondering... if I may... must we really kill them all? Can we not just send them away if they fail?

Yes, I do know why it is necessary. I know it is a danger for you... I mean, us, if too many come to try their luck.

I realize that if the castle is swarmed with men sticking their noses in every corner sooner or later one of them will discover the truth. But why then did you have to offer such high a prize in return for success?

There is no need to insult me, father. I did not think that what the other lords and nobles thought was of any importance to a king such as yourself. I did not think it mattered if they suspected you or not.

Forgive me, father. I forgot my place. If you say they matter then you must be right. A great king is never wrong.

Father, I have another question, if I may.

I will try not to waste any more of your precious time.

At once. How many more nights must we dance?

Very well father.

Do I like it? It is likeable enough while we dance. The princes are all very handsome and they are all good dancers. But I am getting weary of it. I do not remember the last night I slept. Every night it is the same thing.

Yes, of course I understand. We must pay off your debt to the Underlords. May you remind me again why it is that you owe them?

I know you have told me, father, but as you said before, I am foolish.

My mother's fault, you say? Is that why you banished her?

If it is her fault, why must you hide it from the noblemen?

Very well, father. I will go. I have taken enough of your precious time already. Do not worry. I will not forget the potion. Goodbye, father.


---------------------------------------------------------------


Michel! I have been looking for you all over the place! Where have you been?

Yes, I was with him until a few moments ago. He said no. He wants to put off the swarm of men that may come to try their luck. Oh, Michel, can't you tell him today? I do not think I could take another night of that dancing. I am so weary.

Less suspicious? My youngest sister is suspicious now! I have to put all my efforts into making her believe there is nothing following us. You must be more careful. If my father finds out that I have anything to do with you discovering the secret, I do not know what he will do to me or to you.

I told you already, my sisters love going. They enjoy the dancing and they adore their princes. All of them secretly wish they could marry them, even though they know what they truly are. They think this is all terribly romantic. They are all under their spell.

I too wonder sometimes how it is that I hate it while they all do not.

Love my prince? Never. I love you. I have always loved you, Michel, ever since I was a little girl and I saw you going off to that war. I was scared I would never see you again.

No. My father doesn't recognize you. He has no idea that you are the tutor he brought in for me all those years ago. All he sees is an old and wounded solider.

I see the man that will save me from this fate. If only my father had been more careful. He blames it on my mother. He claims it is her fault we are in debt to the Underlords. But I can see through his lies. I heard them talking before he banished her, right before all the dancing started. She shouted at him that if not for his greed, we wouldn't have to pay. She was worried about what was going to happen. The same thing happened with her and her sisters. For a decade they danced until the Underlords were content. Her father had made the same mistake. She begged him to pay the price they demanded.

I am not sure. From their words, he could have paid them through gold and silver from the treasury. They warned him that if he did not, they would extract the price from his daughters. But he did not heed their words, obviously. I think he banished my mother when she tried to go around him and pay them herself. She tried to help us, Michel, and he banished her.

What did she look like? She looked old, much older then she really was. Ten years of dancing took their toll. Why do you ask?

She's trying to help us? Whatever do you mean?

And you think... this woman, the one that helped you... you think it might be my mother?

It is possible, I suppose. Oh, Michel, you must succeed. I cannot bear the thought of having to dance with them for a decade! I cannot loose you either. You must be more careful. If my father finds out you know something he will make it that you will not reach the third day alive. Make sure when you tell him, you have a wide audience to hear your testimony. Only that way you can be sure you will live and get your reward. Please be careful, Michel. If you die, I do not know what I will do. I am scared I will fall under their spell as well.

You will chose me, right, Michel? I know I am not the prettiest of my sisters.

And my heart has always been yours.

I must leave, before someone sees us.

We can meet tomorrow, at noon, under the tree. We must both be careful no one follows us.

Goodbye, Michel. Watch yourself tonight.
© Copyright 2012 Siareen (siareen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842298-The-Eldest-Princesss-Plea