*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842555-Bonnies-Lament
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1842555
Education for a life of crime.

My education started early.  Grandfather used the "whap upside the head" method when he staggered home after stopping at his "social club" for a few with his buddies.  Dodging worked when his aim wasn't too good.

Mother was more subtle, but her sharp tongue cut deeper.  The witch wore a black hat with a feather in it.  Before my eighth birthday, I was already "the dirty little whore".  No amount of scrubbing with soap, water and a towel would cleanse my soul.  After a while, I didn't hear her anymore.

Not that everything should be blamed on my family.  My schooling was real good too.

At the town's Elementary school, learning to play sports during recess was more important then the lessons.

Then at the ripe old age of fourteen, I became what Mom accused me of, thanks to my math teacher.  He had me stay after school one day for some extra help.  He helped himself to me, and then gave me a passing grade.  I guess you could say I earned it.

Marrying Roy was my way out of town.

So I learned to dodge, I learned to tune out the cutting words, and I learned to run away.

Roy didn't work out, the loser.  So I had to get a new man.  Since then, I've learned to shoot straight, drink cheap whisky, and with Clyde's help, to rob banks.

Contrary to what you've probably read, I don't go for cigars.  Camels are my smoke.

Me and Clyde shot our way out of Joplin and Platte City.  The banks, stores and gas stations were no match for us and the gang.

Now we're gonna try Louisiana for a while.  Headed to Bienville Parish, to lie low.  We'll be back though, never worry about that.

© Copyright 2012 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1842555-Bonnies-Lament