*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843003-Time-For-A-Change
by Vstone
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Educational · #1843003
Essay covering the word change, it's power and its vagueness
Time For A Change

“We ought not think about change as an insignificant amount of coins, but rather see it as the power that a little bit of change can have on society and the world around us” ~ anonymous ~

Though the absolute origin of the word “change” is unknown, it is thought to be of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish camm, meaning crooked, bent, curved, or twisted. What we do know is that its first known use was in the thirteenth century and meant, to exchange. Its meaning went seemingly unchanged until its use as ”the financial sense of balance returned when something is paid for” was first recorded in the 1620’s.Today, we use the word change for anything that becomes different in some way, shape or form, as well as the exchange or replacement of an item with another and the balance of money returned when an amount given is more than what is due; therefore coins fall into this definition as well                                                                                          

The definition of the word, change, as anything that becomes different in some way, shape, or form leads the word to an endless variety of uses, showing you just how vague change can be.  In its simplest form it may be replacing the linens on your bed, or the clothes that you are wearing, it may be the altering of your hairstyle or even simply switching seats on a bus.  In another sense we can have a change of heart, we can change our pace, and we can even change our lifestyle and habits. We are able to change our views as well as the oil in our cars. These are all examples of change but not all change comes with a choice. The ever changing seasons throughout the year, the sunrise and the sunset, and the inevitable demise of life are just a few examples of things that we cannot change. You can see how change is so vague; it applies to everything and seems to be everywhere.
                                                                     
Not everyone looks at change the same way; to many it is a powerful word and to some it is a frightening word. Some may gladly accept change as others could oppose changes; some may even be willing to fight for change as others fight to keep change from taking place.  A big part of someone’s perception of change is usually based on the scenario.  One could be told to expect change and one’s reply maybe, When and how much?  Another may respond with, why? Another may be, what’s wrong with the way things are? Some people are even tired of hearing the word change spoken aloud, especially in politics. To some it has become an utterly empty word, meaningless, the worst of political rhetoric, and the worst of political bullshit. President Obama preached to the people about change all through his campaign for presidency, instilled in the voters’ minds that he was the representative for a positive change--the symbol for a better America. Whether changes have taken place or not, Obama’s repetitive use of the word had the ability to influence voters to believe that he was the candidate that could reconstruct our failing government and rescue our ever-growing, poor economy; ultimately change led our president Barack Obama to the White House.          
                             
Though change in one sense can be looked at as an insignificant amount of coins, sometimes referred to as “chump change,”  it can also be viewed as a force that even in small amounts, has the ability to make an enormous difference, whether in a positive way or a negative way. An increase in global temperature of only a few degrees has the ability to completely alter the climate. A small change in the make-up of our DNA can determine our race, sex, and our physical form. Replacing racism with acceptance can transform our culture and our standard of living. Even the want for change has the ability to bring people together that will stand up for what they believe in and together they can create a revolution.

The word change has progressed with time from a simple word with a direct meaning attached to it, to a word that if not referring to coins, has an endless amount of uses. Inevitably change is everywhere and will always happen, but without something to attach change to, it really has no meaning or direction, reiterating the vagueness of change.
© Copyright 2012 Vstone (vstoneinc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843003-Time-For-A-Change