*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843213-No-Brakes
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1843213
Dialogue with husband and wife

  No Brakes          

“I told ya, don’t talk such rubbish,” Calvin looked up from reading his newspaper to glare at Glady, his wife of two years. “Miracle my ass, if there was such a thing as a miracle you’d have learned to cook something besides burned meatloaf.”
“You know what your problem is Calvin?” Glady stood in front of him, hands on her hips.
“I never knew I had one, but I’m sure you’ll come up with a couple new ones.”
“Your problem is you never see further then the end of your nose. You don’t believe in anything but yourself.”
“And just what is wrong in believing in myself and I can’t help if I got my granddaddies nose.”
“Well, I for one do believe in miracles, and I know it was the hand of God that stopped us from going over that cliff.”
“Glady, it was my bloody foot on the brake that stopped the truck, but don’t give me any credit. Oh no, give it all to your God and his miracle. Glady my girl, it’s you who can’t see for lookin”.
“Okay , Calvin. You’re such the smart one; explain how it is that just before we left the road you shouted, “Oh shit, we got no brakes.” Go ahead tell me how you stopped the truck with no brakes.”
Calvin hid for a moment behind his newspaper. He had forgotten or chose to not to remember that terrible feeling of no brakes. But, he knew Glady had a point.
“Cat got your tongue, my smart husband?”
“Okay, so I can’t explain it. But that don’t mean it’s a miracle. All that talk about miracles is what the preacher went on about when I was a kid. Turning water into wine. Now that was some miracle. Anyone that could do that would be a trillionaire today.”
“Go ahead, laugh it off, make light of the whole thing. Hide behind your paper. I don’t know why I even try, cause you will never be any different than what you are right now.” With those words Glady turned to leave him on his own.Calvin reached out and grabbed his wife’s hand, pulled her onto his knee.  “Look here, Glady. I might be all you say but I do know one thing. I don’t what you ever to give up on me. Cause if there is such a thing as miracles, it’s the day I met you. You’re all I’m not. And without you I’m not worth a pinch of shit.”
Glady wrapped her arms around Calvin’s neck. No need of words. She knew another miracle had just taken place. But, she’ll remind him of that another time.
© Copyright 2012 carol burgess romance (savanha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843213-No-Brakes