*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843692-The-Map
by Jeff P
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1843692
Flash Fiction Competition Entry
         I needed to get that map soon - the inn was beginning to empty and the Ambassador was going to leave. His nose and cheeks had gone the colour of a beetroot, a sure sign he was at the limit of his drink. My table was opposite the inn door, my target directly in between.
         During the hours I had waited, appearing to dine and read a book, His Excellency’s guards became less and less attentive. They got up to leave.
         This was the time I lived for. As they rose my heart hammered. Everything felt like it was going in slow motion as I rose from my chair and headed towards them, my timing on this had to be perfect. The guards opened the inn door - both of them to front in case of danger outside, the Ambassador at the rear, I was a pace away. Snow blew through the door in a flurry. A quick flick of my wrist brought my concealed dagger into my hand, second flick putting it into the wick of the single lamp above the front door, just as the snow and wind blew in. This part of the room plunged into deep gloom as if the lamp had just blown out.
         I stumbled into the Ambassador, pulling the map from his pocket as I jostled him heavily. The map disappeared into my tunic, and as the guards turned I lurched drunkenly and slurred an apology to them all. Staggering out into the snowy street and away from the inn I turned down the nearest side street and straightened up, running for my lodgings. Now I knew the location of the mind flayer’s lair in the city, getting the map had been the easy part....
© Copyright 2012 Jeff P (jp65175 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843692-The-Map