*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843772-Unamed-story
Rated: · Other · Other · #1843772
A woman and her child is being hunted by a pack of ruthless officers.
She awoke with a start, shaking and covered in sweat and tears. Outside, a storm raged in all its fury. Lightening flashed across the sky as another crack of thunder resounded through out the night. "My baby!" She scrambled from the bed to the small cradle in the corner of the room. Laying in blissful slumber, was a small child. Her blonde curls tossled and a thumb in her mouth, oblivious to the fury or fear outside of her tiny closed eye lids. The sky rumbled but the babe did not move. Slowly the woman reached down and lightly brushed the child's face, feeling the life pulsing beneath the perfect skin."My love, my little princess, how perfect you are."

The small child sighed and smiled around her thumb. She turned away and hurried to the door on the other side of the room. Putting her ear to it she listened for any sign of movement. A slight creak signaled to her that the occupant in the room was indeed awake and moving about. She straightened herself and lightly tapped on the door.

"Yes Milly" a kind voice answered. Milly slightly opened the door and peaked around it, to see her beloved nurse standing in the middle of the room.

"Alice, I am sorry to intrude, the storm woke me."

"Nonsense child! Don't apologize for intruding." Alice smiled "Matter of fact, I was on my way in there to intrude on you. You was making an awful commotion a little while ago." She said looking a little worried

"Was I? But I just woke up."

"Oh yes ma'am. I was worried someone was in there hurting you."

"O my. I must have been dreaming. I am so sorry Alice. I really didn't mean to give you a fright. It must be this storm. There is something sinister about it, even foreboding."

"Now love, everything is just fine. don't you worry your pretty little head about a thing. It will spend itself out by morning, I am sure. No need in making life any harder than it has already been for you and the little angle. Now hurry up, back to bed with you. You need all the strength you have if your going to make it through the next few weeks."

"Your right Alice. How would I ever get along without you?"

"You wouldn't, If I may say so myself!" there was a twinkle in the older woman's eyes as she took Milly's arm. "Now you just be a good little girl and climb up in that bed and let ol' Alice tuck you in, nice and warm."

Milly chuckled and did as she was told. Checking on the sleeping child before letting the older woman have her way. "You know Alice, I am no longer a child"

Alice looked up at Milly, as serious as can be and said "Aye, but you'll always be a child in these eyes. You cant expect an old woman to let her ward grow up! What nonsense is that, I ask you?"

"Complete and utter nonsense it is. I apologize." Milly answered grinning.

"Exactly. Now off to sleep and not another word."

"Yes ma'am"

When Milly next awoke it was in the predawn hours. Everything was silent. The storm, just a vague memory. She climbed out of bed, careful not to make a noise for fear of waking the sleeping child or the woman in the next room. Something just didn't feel right. It was too quiet, unnaturally so. She crept over to the cradle to make sure the child was sleeping. Before Milly could make another move, the door to Alice's room swung open. Alice rushed in in a panic and fully clothed, grabbing Milly and talking in a hushed whisper that was hard to understand, but the urgency in her face was clear enough. They had come.

"Hurry child, grab what you need and the child and lets go. The ship was spotted in the cove. They have found what they were looking for and we are no longer safe. We have to go and now!" Alice said as she rushed to the wardrobe and started pulling out Milly and the baby's things.

Milly froze. "How did they know?"

Alice stopped what she was doing and walked to her ward and embraced her. "Milly! It doesn't matter anymore how they know, all that matters now is the safety of you and the child! Now, stop standing there frozen by fear, and help me gather what we need. You still have the trunk packed and ready, correct?"

"Yes of course."

"I will have Harry get it. Now bundle up yourself and the baby. We have a long journey ahead, I don't need either of you catching your deaths." With that said Alice turned and walked out of the room, leaving Milly to finish gathering her belongings and her thoughts. As she packed, taking care not to wake the sleeping child, her mind couldn't help but wonder how they knew? How did they know she was here? Out of all the places in the world, how did they know to look here? She had been so careful, so cautious. Nobody knew who she was here or what her story was. She made sure that there was no reason to suspect. So how did they find her? Her thoughts were interrupted by Harry as he rushed in.

"Ma'am, Miss Alice said to hurry. Everything is packed and ready to go. We are just waiting on you"

"Thank you Harry. Would you be so kind as to carry these things here to the wagon? I can"t manage them and the baby."

Harry scooped up the bags and lumbered for the door as Milly put on her cloak. She turned to the cradle, gently picked the sleeping child up and wrapped her in a woolen blanket. As she turned to leave she remembered something she forgot. she ran to the wardrobe opening it and pushed a small panel at the bottom. A drawer popped out and she reached inside to find what she was looking for still safe in its velvet bag. She took one last glance around the familiar room, her eyes watering with un-shed tears and turned and walked out for the last time.



"Where are they? There is no use in trying to deny that you know who we seek. We have already talked to your contact. He has told us everything." The officer slammed his fist down on the table in front of him. He knew the old man was hiding something.

The man in chains visibly shook. "I swear sir, I really have no idea who your talking about. There is only one woman that I know of that fits the description you are giving but she don't have no baby. Honest!"

"Who is this woman?" the man in uniform asked raising his eyebrow.

"Lady Milly sir. She lives in Briar Grove, The estate was her Grandfathers." the man grimaced in pain as he said the words.

"Lady Milly you say? I have never heard of this woman." He knew the old man knew more than he was telling. He was going to find her and what she stole and he had a felling this old man was going to be his key to her downfall. But first he had to make sure that what the old man was saying was true. "Why have I not heard of her before? Who is she exactly?"

"She is the Granddaughter of Charles Briar. His daughters child, I do believe. She has been here for some time now. But Like I said, she dont have no baby. Its just her and that glorious Alice. Now there is a real woman."

"Enough!" The officer said. "This Miss Milly. She is here now? If I go to Briar Grove, she will welcome me? Let me look around, ask her some questions?"

"O Miss Milly is a saint. I am sure she would welcome you in her home. I'm not real sure if she is there at the house now. She tends to come and go."

"Well, I would like to meet this Miss Milly then." The officer said with a charming smile. The old man didn't buy it for a minute. He knew there was more going on than what the officer wanted to share and he played this game before. If the officer wanted information so bad then what could it hurt to tell a little lie? Let that show the pompous ass.

"And she lives in Briar Grove?"

The old man steadied his gaze at the officer and repeated his words so there was no mistaken what he said, "Yes Briar Grove. She has been there for some time."

"Thank you old man, Release him and turn him out. We got all we need from him."

The old man studied the officer in front of him. His black hair was greasy, unkempt and in need of a cut. His uniform, made of the finest material, fit him poorly and was threadbare in places, attesting to the lack of funds this man had. He was probably a second or third son, trying to make a name and a place for himself. The old man thought about the questions the officer asked. His manner when speaking was refined and controlled. His voice and smile at times were charming but held something more sinister underneath. He was educated and desperate. The old man didn't trust him and he was sure he meant Miss Milly harm.

When they finally released the old man, a small boy was brought into the tent. He was dressed in a shirt that was two sizes to big and pants three sizes to small. His feet were bare and the first signs of frostbite visible on the tops of his feet. When the child looked up there was pain in his eyes. Not the pain of the frostbite but a deeper pain. It took the old mans breath at what he saw in that small boys eyes, and it was then he knew something bigger was going on. The boy sat at the old mans feet and started to dress the wounds that the officers had inflicted upon him. They were minor and the old man had forgotten about them till the boy lightly rubbed the rag across the cut over his eye. Neither said a word as the boy cleaned the blood off the old mans face. He began tearing strips from his shirt and wrapping them around the old mans head, being careful not to put to much pressure. When he finished he sat back and examined his handy work.

"They mean to kill you." he said. "I heard them talking about it before they sent me here. They are getting ready to head up to Briar Grove. They want that lady bad sir. They mean her harm."

"I figured as much lad. I done all I can for them. There is nothing else I can give them."

"I don't think that you will die tonight sir. I have a feeling all will work out for you but the lady I am not so sure."

The old man studied the boys face. He was fine looking child, a little young in age. George guessed the child was around eight or so. He had brown hair that was cropped close to his head to ward off lice. His eyes were green, and older beyond his years. A little under fed, but he could become stronger were he feed right and took care of. How did this kid end up here? where was his parents? was he an orphan? Where did he come from. George could only imagine the answer to these questions and cringed.

"What's your name child?"

"Gregory sir"

"Well Gregory, my name is George. Fancy that they both start with a G." The boy smiled for a second and George knew what he had to do.

"Gregory, how would you like to get out of here?"

"That would b grand sir, but I am afraid that I can't."

"Why boy? Why can't you leave?"

"I have to stay till they find that lady sir."

"Whatever for?"

The boy looked down at the floor. "I...I...I..." He couldn't finish what he was saying for the sobs escaping his small bird like chest. George dropped to his knees and took the child into his arms. The boys body shook with convulsions as he let his tears flow and the wails tare from his body. He continued like that for a good ten minutes before finally calming down. George looked at him and felt his heart break for this small child in his arms. What was it that he needed from the woman and why was it so important that the child would suffer the treatment he received at the hands of these drunken officers just so he could see her?

"Well Gregory that settles it, your coming with me. We are getting out of here and we are going to find that lady for you. You have freedom to walk about right? Go out there and see where all of them are. when it is clear come back here and we will leave."

"Sir, what if they catch us? We will both die then."

"Is you finding the lady worth death?"

"O yes sir!"

"Then death it shall be. We shall be brave in the face of death because our quest is a noble one. Are you in Gregory?"

"Yes sir. I will be back as soon as I know they have all left. They think I am simple and don't understand what they say but I am smarter than I look. They don't plan on leaving anyone here to watch you. They think your scared of them."

"Then that looks like the perfect time to make the perfect getaway! Are you sure your just a kid?" George said poking at Gregory's chest and ruffling his hair. Gregory smiled as he gathered up his supplies and made his way to the opening of the tent.

"Yea I am just a kid, but who said a kid can't be smart?" and he turned and walked out.



By the time the officers were finally organized enough to make the trip to Briar Grove, the sun had done been up for a good thirty minutes. They set off in the hazy light heading in what they hoped was the right direction. They wasn't sure that any of the villagers where being honest with them and almost expected this trip to be a goose chase. This whole venture had been one false lead after another. The company of men had become use to disappointment. They had searched for 7 months for this woman.There was no way that this could possibly be the end of it all. It just wasn't their luck.

After walking the distance from their camp to the gate of Briar Grove, the officers were soggy and in ill temper. They already knew what was in store if the woman wasn't here. It be back to the ship and a blistering set down from the client. No one wanted to see him get angry. The last time that happened they were scrubbing brains off the deck for days. That's not a fun job when the sea gulls are swooping in making a bigger mess and putting up a fight for what food they can find. It was an awful, stinking mess and no one wanted to see a repeat.

"Hey Roger, do you think this Milly is who we are searching for? I really don't want to think that we have come all this way for nothing." A young blonde officer asked the leader. "I know that you said the old man gave you the information and that you are sure he is telling the truth, but what if its a trap? Or maybe a decoy to have us go one way while the woman goes the other?"

"Don't be ridiculous. The people in this back water place don't have the brains between them all to come up with an even plausible let alone good lie. Have you looked at what we are surrounded by? They are as simple as the little boy you begged me not to kill, Anson, so please entertain me some more." Roger turned a haughty stare at the blonde man beside him. A flash of something dark in his eyes told Anson he overstepped his line.

"I am sorry Roger, I didn't mean to insult. You are right, the people in this area are a little slow."

"Its fine Anson, just remember your place next time."

Roger strode off in the direction of the front door only to be greeted on the steps by a stately gentleman in his fifties. He was dressed in all black and had a haughty tilt to his chin. His eyes where hard a stone as he looked Roger first up, then down, then back up again, a faint hint of disgust on his face.

"And who might you be, sir?" The older gentleman asked. "I am sure I have never seen you at this house before and I am very sure that you was not invited here, so again I ask you, who are you?"

Roger stepped back in surprise that this old man would dare talk to him this way. "I am a Kings man, come on the Kings business. Is this the home of Miss Milly."

"I am sorry, did you just say the kings man, on the Kings business? Ha, that's a good one." The gentleman burst into abrupt laughter.He doubled completely over, a feat that's not easy for very many men his age. When he finally straightened himself and was done laughing, he looked squarely at Roger, wiped the tears from his eyes and doubled over again. This time laughing so uncontrollably hard that Roger was out raged. Who was this man laughing at him? What did he find so funny?

"Thank you for that sir, I needed it. Now, really, who are you, why are you here, and what do you want with Miss Milly?"

"My name is Roger Thurston. I am a private commanding officer for a client that I am not at liberty to disclose. I am here because the person i am looking for was said to be in these parts. My business with Miss Milly Is, I would like to ask her some questions. Miss Milly fits the description of the person we are searching for. I just need to verify that she is not."

"Well Mr. Thurston, the only thing I can tell you is you will have to wait. Miss Milly was called away two weeks ago to be with her aunt Lucy. She is not due back for at least three more days."

"And where is her aunt Lucy's residence?"

"At least a days journey one way."

"Will you give me permission to search the house and grounds so I can be sure you are not hiding her somewhere?"

"I am sorry, I can not do that."

"Then we shall wait."

Roger was furious. He was so close he could almost smell her. He knew they had her, it was just a matter of waiting. And when she came home he would be here waiting on her. She wont have a chance to run, not this time. He wasn't going to lose her again. She would be his this time and he didn't care how. Even if it meant locking her up so he knew she wouldn't run, he would go to whatever lengths to secure her in his life, home, and bed. Its what the little slut deserves, he kept telling himself. He had to stop thinking about her before he lost his temper.

"Anson, you and Wade head back to the camp and pack up. Dispose of the prisoner and lose that little sniveling brat on the way please, I am tired of looking at the lad. Report back hear as soon as you are done."

"Yes sir." Anson replied trying to hold back his disgust. Glad that he at least was leaving this hellish atmosphere was a plus. So was going with Wade. Wade was a good man. Anson couldn't understand how Wade got caught up with the likes of Roger and his crew. Ason always wondered if Wade was a slave like him. He had a Noble bearing but his spirit was broken. Anson knew what a broken spirit looked like. After serving three whole years with Roger, he had seen that look before. A man in complete fear for his life.

"So do you really think this is a waste of time?" Wade asked him as the slowly made there way to the camp.

"I think its whatever Roger wants to think it is. He is the one that runs the show." Anson sneered.

"Yes, but do you not feel his tactics are a little barbaric? Like the old man, why kill him? what threat does he pose Rogers quest for this woman? And why is roger the only one that is aware of her crimes? Have you been told why she is so dangerous?"

"Those are brave thoughts. Are you sure you can trust me enough not to run back and tell Roger of you mutinous thoughts? One less man means more coin for me."

"Anson, you may have fooled Roger and the rest of them but I saw how concerned you was when you spoke earlier. Your just as curious as I at the reason for this man hunt, or should I say woman hunt? At least it's not a witch hunt!"

"Lord, don't say such things. This trip has already went from bad to ugly to just plain evil, I don't need anything more hanging on my mind. This could very easily turn into a witch hunt with the darkness I see behind Rogers eyes."

"You see it too? i thought I was the only one."

Anson stopped in his tracks. He knew that he saw something dark in Rogers eyes. Had Wade saw that glimpse of it too? Something about this whole situation was wrong and Anson didn't want any part of it. But how to get away? How did he manage to leave and not have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life? Roger was an evil man filled with hate. He wasn't just going to stop at finding this woman and Anson knew it.

"Where is the boy?" Wade asked when they reached the camp. "Gregory, its only me and Anson, you don't have to hide."

"Maybe he is asleep. Roger does work him pretty hard. He is only seven."

"Go check on the prisoner and i will look in on the boy."

Anson walked to the tent where they had left the old man. It didn't take him long to realize the old man was gone. Roger, so eager to catch his quarry, had forgot to come back and chain the old man up. Then the boy flashed through his head. What if the old man had taken the boy and hurt him? Dozens of images ran through Anson's head. Visions of the old man doing horrible things to the child. Unspeakable things that only Roger would find pleasure in.

"Anson, the boy is gone but I found this tucked in his bedroll." wade handed Anson a small piece of paper with even smaller handwriting. It was a note to Anson.

Anson,
Please don't be upset with me, but I had to go. I have to do what I can to make things right. Thank you for saving my life and I know that you love me in your own way and I don't want you to worry about me. I am sorry that it came to this. Should you decide to leave Roger, contact the owner of the Shipmates Inn. He will be able to direct you to my location.

Thank you again,
Gregory


"There is no way a seven year old wrote that." Anson stated.

"I agree. What do you want to do? Should we set out and look for him or wait and see if he comes back?"

"I think we need to pack up the camp and do as we was ordered. After we return to Roger, we will inform him that the prisoner has been disposed of and that the child was gone when we got back to camp. Probably scared we was going to kill him next. Do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly. I knew I liked you for some reason." Wade chuckled as he walked away. He knew that Anson was worried about the boy and didn't want to leave him behind. This made it all the better. At least he didn't have to watch Anson break the child's heart. Wade was there when Anson saved him. Since then anywhere you saw Anson, the boy was not far behind. Gregory looked at Anson with a sort of hero worship that all boy should have for their dads. His stomached lurched at that thought. His dad was no hero. He was a spineless, no good excuse for a man.

Wade ignored the path of his thought's and started focusing more on his work. Its a good thing he did too or he would have missed the other note that was slid deep into the folds of a jacket that belonged to a fellow officer. This one was bigger and folded into neat squares. He slowly opened it and began to read it aloud.

"Dear Sir....It is with great reluctance that we inform you that there is a spy within your ranks. We believe him to be one Anson Turner, a slave that you procured three years ago. All actions must be taken to secure our position and insure that no information makes its way to the enemy.....Is it true Anson?"

"Yes. Are you going to turn me over to Roger?"

"No. I see no reason to let him know anything if he isn't aware of it already. But I will ask, Are you a fool man? Do you have a death wish or something?"

Anson laughed. "No Wade. I have a duty to my country to do the right thing and this is what i feel is the right thing. I can't tell you anything that you don't already know, but I can tell you this, I will not go down without a fight."

"I wouldn't expect less. So we still return to Roger?"

"No, you return to Roger. This has changed everything. You return to Roger and tell him that the prisoner put up a fight."
© Copyright 2012 M.L. Holtz (dimpleslee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843772-Unamed-story