*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843810-Lost
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1843810
Boy sees girl...falls in love and chases her.... **not done yet....**
The Meeting

The day I met him was like any other day I had had before. Nothing new, but there was something about his eyes. His smile. The way he looked at me. Not through me, but at me. Saw me, the real me. Not the owner of a small clothing store in the strip mall in town, but a woman. A woman with goals and dreams and a purpose in life.

When I met him, I was putting some new garments up that had just been delivered. You see, I own at a clothing store. I got up every morning excited to go to work. For the first time in my life I actually had a job that I enjoyed. But that neither here nor there. This is about when I met him.

As I was saying, we had received some new garments that I was getting ready to place out on the sales floor, when he walked in the door. Six foot four, dark hair and the face of a god. He was gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. He was wearing a pair of khakis that looked like they were made for him, a dark blue button up shirt that hugged his entire upper body in just the right spots. This guy was beautiful, and he was headed in my direction.

I smiled. “Good afternoon, sir. How are you?”

He stopped and looked at me. “I hate to be blunt, but has anyone told you today that you’re beautiful?”

I stared at him in shock. I could feel the heat rising up my neck to my ears and then my cheeks. “Excuse me?” I wanted to make sure I heard him right. Then I looked over his shoulder for a group of his buddies that had put him up to it.

“If you’re looking for what I think you’re looking for, they’re not there. No one put me up to it. I honestly think you’re beautiful.”

“You’re kiddin’ me right?” I swallowed.

“My name is Robert Evans.”

“I’m Becca. Becca Sanderson. Is there something I can help you find?”

“Yes, Becca, I would like to know if you would like to meet me for coffee after you leave work.”

Wow, he wasn’t going to let this go. What did have up his sleeve?

“Ok, Mr. Evans. I will meet you for coffee. You’re not like a serial killer or stalker are you?”

He laughed and it was the heartiest laugh that I’d heard in a long time. “No, no, no Becca, and please call me Robert.”

“Robert, what are your intentions?” I gave him a curious look.

“My intentions? My intentions are to get to know a beautiful woman over a cup of coffee. That is all. Maybe take you out to dinner sometime, if that’s ok with you.”

Hmmmmm…this guy just walks in my store, tells me I’m beautiful and then asks me out for coffee, and then dinner. What in the hell is going on?

“We’ll see about the dinner, Robert. Let’s just do coffee right now, ok?”

“Fine with me, Becca. What time do you get off work?”

“I leave here at five. Meet me at Sharon’s Café at five-thirty. Do you know where that is?”

“Over on Maple Street, right?” He looked at me.

“Yes, that’s right.”

“I’ll be there. I look forward to seeing you again.” He smiled and I felt the heat rush up my neck to my ears again.

“See you at five-thirty.”

He turned and walked out, but not before he took my hand and placed a delicate kiss on my knuckles.
Wow…that was the most romantic thing that has ever happened to me. I blushed. I know I did.

Then I was alone in the store. Just me. And I screamed. It was a happy, giddy, school girl scream.

Now, allow me to explain why I was so hesitant about Robert Evans and his compliment and wanting to take me out for coffee. I am not model thin and I don’t look like a Playboy Bunny. I never dated in high school. The guys in high school thought it was funny to pick on me. So, as you can imagine, I am exceedingly self conscience about myself. Never thought of myself as pretty or attractive, much less beautiful, so, to hear it out of a man that could be a freakin’ model for Pete’s sake was a little strange.

I didn’t know how to feel about this Mr. Robert Evans asking me out for coffee. I was a little shocked and excited at the same time. Too bad I didn't have an associate to share the news with.

As I was saying earlier, I was self conscience and I know this is discrimination but I didn’t want to hire really pretty women to work in my shop. Hello, I’m self-conscience! Don’t need to be shown up by some pretty little thing every day. It was my store. I could hire who I wanted to. So, I chose to work open to close five days a week as opposed to hiring an associate who didn’t know her ass from a hole in the ground who I had to train and then she still might mess up something. I have no patience when it comes to training new people. I’d just rather do it myself and get it over with.

The bell above the door chimed and my best friend from high school, Amy Rogers, walked in.

“AMMMYYYY!” I squealed. “I’m so happy to see you! You’ll never guess what just happened?”

“No. Never. Tell me.” She hugged me.

“A man, a gorgeous man, came in here and asked me to have coffee with him tonight when I close.”

“Are you going?” She asked, picking up a scarf and looking at it.

“Of course! He’s fiiiine, girl! Six foot four, body to die for.”

“Good girl. Maybe he won’t be a psycho stalker this time.”

“Yeah, maybe. Sheesh, I’d almost forgotten about him.”

My string of failed relationships was not a pretty one. It was almost like a train wreck of emotions the last few years. Every wrong guy I had dated. Even dated a guy that was married and had two kids, although at the time I didn’t know he was married. He’d lied to me and I felt like scum after I’d found out that he was married.

Then there was the guy that told me he loved me with in the first week of us dating. Can we say psycho? Um, yes, so my dating history wasn’t the best, and this beautiful man that came into my shop seemed normal enough, so I was looking forward to seeing him tonight.

“What’s his name?” Amy asked.

“Robert Evans.”

Amy’s eyes got wide. “Robert Evans? The Robert Evans?”

“What Robert Evans?” I asked, confused.

“Only the richest, handsomest man this side of the Mississippi! He is like the CEO of Evans Enterprises.”

“Are you SERIOUS?” I was about to faint.

“Yes, I’m serious. Why would I joke about something like that? You have to tell me what he looks like while I Google his picture.”
“Well, he’s tall. Six foot four. Dark hair, chiseled. Oh my God, this man is fine!”
         “Here, take a look at this and tell me if this is him, cause it matches the description that you gave me.”
I walked around the counter to look at the computer screen.
“Oh Mary, mother of Jesus! That’s him!” I started to hyperventilate.
“You gonna be ok?”
“Yeah, I think so. What the hell am I gonna wear?”
“Evidently he knows you don’t know who he is so I would go with something more than casual but less than business formal.” Amy walked around the store looking at the racks. “This! This is it!”
She had picked out a black knee-length pencil skirt and for a shirt she had chosen a charcoal gray cowl neck sweater.
“Oh yes! It’s perfect! You look beautiful. Very nice.”
I could feel the heat rising up in my neck up to my ears.
“Why are you blushing?”
“You know how I am.” I smiled, meekly
“Well, you need to get over it and learn to accept a compliment. You look stunning. Simply stunning. Now, some shoes to complete the outfit.”
She had chosen a pair of black patent sling backs. I slid into them and she led me to the back store room, where I had a half bathroom built for employees only, namely me.
“Now, sit down here and let me work my magic on your hair.”
About twenty minutes later, my hair was done and I thought I looked pretty good. Amy stowed the curling iron under the sink and turned to look at me.
“You look amazing, Becca.”
“Thank you.” I smiled and looked at her.
“You’ve really come a long way since high school. You were pretty back then. Now, you’re beautiful. You really are.”
“Thank you, Amy. That means a lot to me.”
“Now, go and have a great time. If he says something about dinner, go with it. Go with the flow. Just relax and have a good time. Don’t act like you know who he is and how much money he’s got, although that’s a perk.”
I smiled and grabbed my purse. “Thank you so much. I’ll call you tonight if you want.”
“Of course I want you to call me. Let me know how it goes.”












coffee


I left the shop and headed to Sharon’s Café. There were tables set up outside and only a handful of patrons were enjoying the evening air. I sat down at a table and waited.
“Good evening, ma’am. My name is Alex. What can I get for you tonight?” He placed a beverage napkin down on the table as he spoke.
“Just a cup of coffee, please. I’m meeting someone. He should be here in a few minutes.” I smiled up at Alex.
“Of course, ma’am. I’ll have that coffee right out. Will you need cream?”
“Yes, please.”
Alex turned and went to get the coffee. I looked out across the street towards the west and watched the sun set. It was a beautiful brilliance of crimson, scarlet and gold. I was so engrossed in the sunset that I didn’t hear Robert approach.
“You look beautiful, Becca.”
I turned to look at him. He was standing across the table from where I was sitting, still looking as fine as a Roman god, but he had changed into a black pair of slacks, a green button down shirt and a black blazer, all which looked like they were made for him.
“Thank you, Robert.”
He took my hand once again and placed a soft brush with his lips on the tops of my knuckles.
“You’re early.” He took the chair across from me
“Yes, I closed the shop a few minutes early. One of the perks of being the owner, right?”
“You own Oliver’s?”
“Yes, I do. Why?” I glanced at him curiously.
“I love that store. Most times I have my assistant go in there and buy my clothes.”
“You have an assistant? What is it that you do for a living, Robert?”
“Yes, I have an assistant and I also have a driver. I own Evans Enterprises.”
“How interesting that we’re both business owners. Although your business is substantially larger than mine.”
“That is neither here nor there, Becca. I did not ask you to have coffee with me to talk about business. I asked you to have coffee to get to know you. You are a very attractive woman, Becca.”
“Thank you, Robert, but you have to forgive me. I am unaccustomed to receiving compliments and it will take me a little while to accept them with proper gratitude.”
“I have all the time in the world, Becca. Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself?” He poured creamer into his coffee as he looked at me.
“Well, I’m just a small town girl that grew up about half an hour away from here in a little town called Harris.”
“I’ve heard of it.” He smiled at me.
“Well, my mom and step-father still reside there, in the house I grew up in. I have one sister, Tina that is married and has two kids, a boy, Andy, and a girl, Hannah. She and her husband are both in the Navy and they live on base in Pensacola.”
“Now, are you older or younger?”
“I’m older by seventeen months.”
“I’m sure your mother had her hands full with two small girls on her hands.” He smiled as he sipped his coffee.
“Yes, she did.” I looked down at the table.
“Did you attend college?”
“Only two semesters at Harris Community College. I had to drop out cause the money wasn’t there.” Of course, I thought to myself, that’s something that he’s never had to worry about.
“I know exactly what you mean. I didn’t always own Evans Enterprises. I grew up without a father and my mother was always working to support three growing boys. It wasn’t always like it is now. I started working, saved my money, and made some sound investments and I am where I am today.”
“Where did you grow up?” I asked.
“I grew up about an hour from here. A small town on the river called Titus.”
“I’ve heard of it. Never been there but I’ve heard of it.” I smiled.
“You have the most gorgeous smile I have ever seen.” He looked at me. “Don’t stop smiling, Becca.”
“Thank you.” I looked down at my hands
“No need to thank me for telling the truth. You are an amazingly beautiful woman and you run an amazing business.” He took his finger and raised my chin to meet my eyes.
I didn’t know what to say. I was speechless. I finished my cup of coffee and looked at him.
“Robert, I honestly don’t know what to say, but thank you. Now, I must confess, I haven’t eaten since early this morning, would you like to have dinner with me?”
“I was actually thinking the same thing. Where would you like to have dinner? There are a few restaurants here in town that I enjoy.”
“I will let you decide.” I placed my napkin on the table.
“Maggio’s it is then. Just let me call James, my driver and he will me here momentarily.”
I busted out laughing and immedately clapped my hand over my mouth. “I’m sorry.”
“What are you apologizing for?”
“I thought you just said your drivers’ name was James.”
“It is. See, I have a sense of humor.” He smiled and led me to the curb.
James pulled up and Robert opened the door for me. I looked up at him and smiled. “Thank you.”
“You’re very welcome.” He closed the door and looked at James in the front seat. “James, this is Becca Sanderson. Becca, this is James Richly, my driver.”
“Pleased to make your acquaintance, Ms. Sanderson.” He said in a thick British accent
“It’s a pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Richly. Please call me Becca.”
“As you wish, Becca, but I insist that you call me James.”
“Very well, James.” I smiled.
“Where to, sir?” James looked at Robert.
“Maggio’s, please, James.”
“Very well, sir.”
Robert sat back in the seat. “Are you comfortable?”
“Yes, very. Thank you.” I nodded and looked out the window. I caught him in the reflection of the window looking at me. I turned to look at him.
“I am going to apologize now, Becca. I am just taken by how beautiful you are. I can’t stop looking at you and I am aware that it makes you uncomfortable.”
“Robert, as I said before, I am unaccustomed to being looked at and treated the way you are treating me and it will take me some adjusting, so please forgive me.”
“There is no need for apologies, Becca.” He looked out the window. “Ahhh, we’re here.”
The car pulled to a stop and Robert opened the door and helped me out.
“Thank you.” I smiled up at him.
About that time, clumsy me tripped over the curb. Robert caught me and I could feel the heat rising in my neck as he looked at me.
“Are you ok, Becca?” He gazed into my eyes.
“Yes, yes, I am. Thank you for catching me.” I looked up at him. He had the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen.
He leaned down and I hesitated only a second and came forward to meet his lips.
Oh my God! This man could kiss! I thought to myself. I experienced butterflies in my stomach for the first time in my life. He clutched me tighter and kissed me deeper.
Then I came to my senses and realized that we were standing on the sidewalk outside of a restaurant and that we were being watched.
I broke the kiss and looked up at him. “Maybe we should go in now?” I asked.
“You don’t want to give them a show?” He smiled his killer smile at me.
“Ahhh, no.” I grinned. I turned to face the restaurant and the people that were sitting on the patio began to clap and cheer. My face turned red again.
Robert gave a little bow and smiled. He leaned closer. “I believe they liked the show.”
My heart caught in my throat at the feel of his hot breath on my neck and there was a tingle deep inside of me. Where were these feelings coming from? How could I feel so strongly about this man when I barely knew him?
It was hormones, I told myself. He took my hand and led me into the restaurant.











maggio’s


The waiter promptly brought us a wine list after we were seated in quiet booth for two, lit by two white candles.
“Please bring us a bottle of Merlot.” Robert looked up at the waiter.
“Yes, sir. Right away, sir.” The waiter, who couldn’t have been much younger than myself, took off towards the kitchen.
“Now, where were we?” Robert took my hand. “I hope this is not being too forward, Becca.”
“No, it’s fine.” I blushed a little. I was hoping in the candle light it wouldn’t show.
“You’re going to have to stop blushing so much.” He smiled across the table at me.
“I can’t help it.”
“Feels natural don’t it?” He asked referring to our hands.
“Mmmm…yes, it does.” I cut my eyes up at him. “It feels nice to hold hands with someone.”
“Becca, I have waited a long time for someone like you. You are beautiful in every way imaginable.” He took a finger and traced my cheek with it. I automatically pressed my cheek into his hand.
“This is too good to be true.” I said after a moment’s pause. “You’re married aren’t you?”
“What? No. I’ve been divorced for five years.”
“Ok. I was just checking, cause you’re like a dream come true. You’re perfect and you think I’m…I’m…”
“Beautiful? Amazing? An angel?”
“Well, yes.” I smiled at him.
“Its ok. You can say it. I would not have said it if it weren’t true.” He smiled that amazing smile at me and my butterflies returned.
Damn butterflies. I thought to myself.
Our wine arrived and we placed our order. I stuck with something that sounded cheap for fear of Robert thinking I was an expensive date.
“Have you ever eaten here?” He asked.
“No. It- um- wasn’t exactly in the budget.” I said hesitantly.
“This is the first time I’ve ever been here with a woman as stunning as you.” He raised his glass. “May we have many more dinners as great as this one.”
I raised my glass and we toasted. After a few more minutes, our entrée’s arrived. We chitchatted over our meal and he looked at me.
“This is the best meal I have ever had.”
“Surely not the best meal?” I eyed him skeptically.
“Let me rephrase. I am enjoying a wonderful glass of wine, feasting on a great dish, all with an equally wonderful, great woman.”
“Well, I would have to say this is probably the best meal that I’ve had too.”
“Let me guess, and tell me if I’m being too forward, you don’t date much?”
“You’re not being too forward, and no, I don’t. I tend to be guarded around new people, and its not anything that you have done or haven’t done, Robert. I am unfamiliar with men, especially men of your- well, what’s the word I’m looking for without sounding unappreciative? Attractiveness, yes, that’s the word I’m looking for. Most of the men that try to date me, well, aren’t all that attractive, and the ones that are attractive, they’re married.
“When I was in high school, I was sort of unappealing, at least to myself. I never dated in high school, and the one time I was asked out on a date, I was stood up. My date never showed up, and then I found out that it was a dare between the football captain and the head cheerleader. After that, I never had confidence in myself and wasn’t able to trust anyone again for a long time. I hated them laughing at me behind my back, so I turned inward and took to clothes.
“Designing clothes is my passion. I love making clothes. I make some of the clothes I sell at Oliver’s.”
“That’s amazing. You will have to show me which ones you made.”
“I will certainly do that.” I smiled. “You have to do something for me though.”
“And what is that, Becca?” He looked at me over his wine glass.
“First, you can’t laugh when I show you the clothes and secondly, you have to pinch me to make sure I’m not dreaming.”
“I will not pinch you, but what I will do, is hold your hand. Is that acceptable?”
“That will have to do, I suppose.” I beamed at him.
“You suppose?” He was finally starting to catch onto my sense of humor, which was a little bit twisted with some sarcasm thrown in, too, which I had my mother to thank for. “What do you suppose we get out of here?”
“You read my mind.” I gathered my purse as he took a credit card from his wallet.
The waiter came around just a minute later. “Is there anything else I can get for you folks this evening?”
“No, we’re fine. In fact, I’m ready to pay the bill.” Robert handed the waiter the card.
“I will be right back with your copy of the receipt."
         Robert stood and looked at me. “Are you ready?”
         More than you know. I thought to myself. I smiled up at him. “Yes.” He pulled my chair out and I stood. Robert placed his hand on the small of my back to lead me towards the exit and I felt a cold chill go down my spine. I shivered.
         “Are you ok?” He whispered in my ear.
         I turned my head slightly to look at him. “Yes. Just a cold chill.”
         “Do you want my coat?” We were out on the curb waiting on James.
         “No, thank you. Just a rabbit on my grave.” I smiled.
         As the Lincoln Town Car pulled to the curb, Robert pulled the passenger side door open. I slid in and Robert closed the door behind us.
         “Where to now?” Robert looked at me.
         I shrugged. “Umm…I don’t know. What do you like to do for fun?”
         “It’s been a long time since I’ve had fun, Becca.” He smiled at me. “What do you like to do in your free time?”
         “Well, I read, and I love to look at the stars. I’m sorta into astronomy.”
         “We will go look at the stars then.” He turned to James. “James, old pal, will you take us by the house, please?”
         “Yes, sir.”
         “Ohhhh, can I say it?” I said, grinning childishly.
         “James, would you mind it terribly if Becca here says what I think she is going to say?”
         “Not at all. Go right ahead.” James smiled.
         “Home, James.” I said in the best British accent I could muster.
         “Miss Becca, I must say, that was probably one of the best accents I have ever heard for you being an American.” He chuckled.
         “Thank you.” I laughed.
         Robert took my hand as we rode the rest of the way to his house, laughing about my accent.
         As we pulled up to a massive stone entrance, James slowed the car to a stop. He rolled the window down to speak to the security guard, a tall man that couldn’t have been over forty. He had chestnut brown hair that was close cropped. He was wearing a uniform that resembled military BDU’s. The pants were black and were tucked into his combat looking boots. He also was wearing a gray polo and a black jacket.
         We rolled through the gate and proceeded towards the lights in the distance that I presumed was the house. The driveway was long and paved, wide enough for two cars to pass. It was lined with trees along both sides. As we reached the house, James pulled towards the back, where there was a garage. It was more like a smallish parking structure. There was one central garage door, about midway along the front wall. He reached to the dash and pushed a button. The door slid up easily.
         As the door slid up, florescent lights came on row by row. He waited for the door to stop moving, before he parked in the garage. Inside, there were two long rows of cars, all pristine and shined like new money. My mouth dropped open and I quickly closed it.
         Robert slid out of the back seat and offered his hand to assist me out of the car.
         “Thank you.” I said quietly.
         Robert turned to James. “Will you get me the keys to the- oh never mind. Becca will choose.” He turned to me.
         “Very well, sir. If my assistance is no longer required, I believe I will retire for the evening.”
         “You may. Thank you.”
         “Most welcome, sir.” James turned to me. “Ma’am, it was very lovely meeting you this evening.”
         “Yes, it was, James. Sleep well.”
         “Try to keep Master Robert out of trouble, please.”
         “As you wish, James.” I smiled. “I will try my best.”
         James turned to head into the house. Robert looked at me. “Now, let’s choose a car. “ He swept his arm outwardly to the side.
         “I am not believing that all these are yours.” I was still in awe of all the beautiful cars parked in the building. There were cars ranging from the very old to the very new.
         “Believe it, m’dear. Now, to choose one.”
         “I was thinking convertible.” I said, cutting my eyes in his direction. “To see the stars better with.”
         “Of course. Excellent idea.” He led us towards the back of the building. “Here we are.” We stopped at a black Mercedes Benz E-class convertible. The paint job was flawless and I could see my reflection in the clear coat. It truly was a magnificent car. “Allow me to retrieve the key and we will be off. One moment, please.” He smiled and squeezed my hand.
         “Take your time.” I smiled back, still in shock at the number of cars he owned.
         Robert returned roughly half a minute later with the key. He opened the passenger door and I sat down. The interior of the car was just as exquisite as the exterior. As he closed the door, there was a soft whoosh. He got in and started the car. The dash panel glowed blue and Michael Buble started up on the CD player.
         “Ok, I must know. You have all these cars, this nice house. You listen to Michael Buble, you find me attractive, and you’re not married. You must be gay.”
         “No, no, no. Anything but, Becca, anything but. I worked hard for what I’ve got. My wife and I divorced after only three years. It was a marriage of convenience, We thought we loved each other, but it was for show more than anything. She is the CEO of Maxwell House.”
         “Wow, I had no idea. I’m sorry to be so blunt.”
         “No. It’s perfectly fine. I would prefer you to be blunt with me than to keep things from me. If something is bothering you, or if you needed to talk, hypothetically, I would want you to come to me and talk to me. Don’t keep things from me.”
         “Hypothetically speaking, I don’t think I would have a problem with that.” I smiled.
         Robert turned down a gravel road off the main highway and the lights of the city disappeared. The only light was the headlights of the car as they cut through the night.
         The road was lined by wheat grass that grew taller than the car. I heard the faint slap-slap of the heads of grass hit the mirror.
         “You’re not planning on taking me out in the middle of no where and dump my body are you?”
         “Oh, no. I thought I’d save that for our fifth date.” He laughed. “This is another part of my property. The river runs through it and I set it up out here for when I need to get away. It is so peaceful out here, especially at night. Away from everything. No one to bother you. No lights and the stars are picturesque.”
         “I bet.”
         He reached over and took my hand and I hesitated only a second as a chill overtook my body.
         “Are you cold?”
         “No. Involuntary reaction. Sorry.”
         “Don’t apologize.” He slowed to a stop and the sky looked like it opened up in front of us. It was so dark and the sky looked so big and the stars sparkled and twinkled.
         “Oh, wow!” I said breathlessly. “There’s the Big Dipper and Orion’s Belt.” I pointed.
         He let the top down and I lowered my seat back so I could see the stars. Robert shut the engine down and reclined his seat back even with mine.
         “It’s so peaceful out here.” I looked over at him.
         “Yes. It’s my private oasis. You should see it during the day. It’s pure serenity.”
         “If I did something, would you think harshly or negatively of me?”
         “No, I wouldn’t. I could never think harshly of you. You are the perfect woman, Becca.”
         I leaned over the center console and kissed him. My hand went to his cheek and up through his hair. It was the most passionate kiss I’d ever had. My whole body tingled with anticipation and yearning. I wanted to get him out of the car, but I was a good girl and good girls didn’t do that. EVER.
         I could feel my heart pounding in my ears as I broke from the kiss. “What about now?”
         “Absolutely not. As I have been saying all evening, Becca, you are an amazingly perfect woman. You’re a beautiful, intelligent, wonderful business woman, and I would like to continue seeing you. Is that okay with you?” He looked into my eyes.
         “Yes, it is. I would like the same thing. You are the first man to actually look at me. Not through me and I would love nothing more than to keep seeing you as well.”
         “That makes me happy, Becca.”
         “And it makes me happy as well.” I shivered against a slight breeze that blew into the car.
         “Are you cold?” He asked, rubbing my arm.
         “This time, yes. Just a little chilled is all.”
         “Would you like to head back?”
         “Actually, that probably wouldn’t be a bad idea. I do have to work early in the morning.”
         “I’m sure the owner won’t mind if you’re just a little late.”
         “Oh, I work for an evil bitch. I’m pretty sure she’d fire me.” I laughed.
         “Since you put it that way, you’d better not be late.”
         We drove back to my car. He pulled in beside where it was parked.
         “I just had the most wonderful idea.”
         “And what is that?” I looked at him.
         “How about I send one of the office girls to come work for you?”
         “I couldn’t ask you to do that.”
         “I am offering.” He gently squeezed my hand.
         “I couldn’t pay her what she’s making now. That’s why I haven’t hired anyone.”
         “She would stay on my payroll.”
         “Are you sure?” I asked, skeptically.
         “Of course. Anything to help a beautiful woman.” He brushed my cheek with the back of his fingers.
         “Since you insist.” I sighed.
         “Great. I will send Felicia over in the morning. She’s great at what she does. Absolutely wonderful with clients. I do hope you like her.”
         “I’m sure I will.” I smiled. “I guess this is where we say good night.”
         “I don’t want you to go.” He smiled and gently squeezed my hand again.
         “The feeling in mutual. I’ve had a great time tonight.”
         “As have I. Here, allow me.” He got out to open my door.
         “Thank you.” I said, brushing a piece of hair away from my face.
         “Most welcome. When can I see you again?”
         “When are you free?”
         “I’m free most evenings. There is a charity dinner coming up next week. Would you be interested in accompanying me?”
         “I would love to.” I smiled up at him.
         As he reached for the door on my car, I stopped him, put my arms around his neck and kissed him.
         He softly slipped his arms around my waist. I stood on tip-toe to reach him. His rock hard body was pressed up against me and it felt wonderful to be held by a man. To actually be held. To be wanted.
         “We’re going to have to go, or else I won’t ever want to leave.” He whispered in my ear.
         “Me either, but I’m a good girl.”
         “I know you’re a good girl. I’m going to back away slowly and watch you leave.”
         I nodded.
         “I will call you in the morning when Felicia is on her way.”
         “Thank you. Good night, Robert.”
         “Night, Becca.”
         I got into my car and drove away, looking at him periodically in the rear view.


Felicia

         I arrived early to work the next morning to straighten up the office and sales floor before Felicia arrived. I was running the vacuum when the phone rang.
         “Good morning. Thank you for calling Oliver’s. This is Becca. How can I help you?”
         “Good morning, beautiful.”
         “Hi Robert.” I could feel myself blushing. “How are you?”
         “Good, now. Felicia is on her way.”
         “Is she pretty?” I asked
         “Is she what?”
         “Is she pretty?” I asked more slowly.
         “Not as pretty as you.”
         I smiled and saw a young woman standing out side. “Ahh, I believe she’s here. I’ll call you back in a little while, ok?”
         “That’s fine. Let me give you my cell number. I’m going to be in and out of the office today.”
         I jotted down his number and quickly went to open the door.
         “You must be Felicia.” I locked the door behind us.
         “Yes, ma’am. I’m Felicia Rogers. Mr. Evans sent me over.” She extended her hand. She wore her dark brown hair down and away from her face. She had on a pair of black slacks and a white button down shirt and very minimal jewelry. She was pretty but not too pretty. Just the way I wanted a sales associate.
         I shook it. “I’m Becca Sanderson, owner and sole-proprietor of Oliver’s.”
         “Mr. Evans speaks highly of this store. He sends Estelle, his assistant, in here all the time to get his clothes.”
         “Ms. Estelle is Robert’s assistant? I absolutely love that woman. She is a dear.”
         “Yes, Ms Estelle had been with Mr. Evans since he opened the business fifteen years ago. She will be delighted that you two are dating.”
         “I don’t know if going out on one date really classifies us as dating.” I looked down at the floor, sheepishly.


© Copyright 2012 Kendrick Locke (egentry85 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843810-Lost