*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843882-Open-Letter-From-a-Vampire
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #1843882
Written for fun but possibly a future piece of something larger.
To All Those Suffering Through Their Daily Lives,

         I write to you today as a friend. You do not know me but I, or undoubtedly one of my brothers or sisters, know you. We have been observing you, and I am ashamed to admit it, occasionally meddling in your affairs. For centuries we have slowly been weeding out the refuse and controlling those in power. Now of course we have not been behind everyone, we needed to keep it subtle, and we have occasionally made some bad judgments. For those of you yet to catch on, I am a vampire. Actually I am The Vampire, the original, the real McCoy. Rejoice friends, because my message is this; you never have to die!
         My kind has walked the earth for millennia. As I said, I am the original. It all started with me, and I will be dating myself some, but I was thrown from the heavens around the same time as Lucifer. I could write books about that alone, but the short version is I was Lucifer’s assistant, of sorts, but not being as high up on the totem pole as Lucifer I did not have as far to fall. So it was to Earth I was cast, to strike fear into sinners and serve as a lesson to all.
         Do not act so surprised. It was in the Bible, in fact everyone once knew who I was. Ask the Illuminati, or any of the many cults that have aided our cause, they still have old enough copies to mention me. Anyways, my curse came with two main features. First, and most importantly, only the blood of sinners can sustain me. The blood of those pure of heart is poisonous to my kind. Secondly, I, and all those like me, will love forever, and no that is not as “awesome” as it sounds.
         For decades I wondered the earth alone, killing freely and without mercy. Angry at my fate and determined to make others feel my pain. I got careless, and one day I tried to drink from an innocent. I recognized my mistake within seconds. Still, I did not catch on quick enough. I became disoriented and lightheaded and collapsed. I awoke, several hours later, with what felt like a combination of food poisoning and the worse hangover you can imagine.
         After a few minutes of relief I quickly realized I was far from safe. The woman I tried to drink from was gone. I was no secret to mankind and the theories of ways to kill me numbered in the thousands and while I had no idea if any of them could kill me I was not particularly keen on finding out. I fled a few towns away and waited for the news to travel. When no words of my attack on the girl reached the town I fled to I packed up and headed to the town my intended victim was from.
         There I found no stories of a vampire attack, however I did hear word of the disappearance of a young woman matching my intended victim. Confused, but assured of my safety, I went back to my daily life. Then, several weeks later, somebody broke into a local prison and killed several prisoners, apparently draining them of blood. Soon word came of a similar attack in a nearby town, and then again in another. This is had to investigate.
         It took months, but I found her. She, my intended victim, was like me. She was a  Vampire, she of course hated me, and wanted nothing to do with me (she held that grudge for centuries, actually.) The important thing, though, was that I now knew I could turn others. So slowly I started building my ranks. Through careful planning and the occasionally use of intimidation we were able to put Vampires, and those sympathetic to our cause, in places of high power. At the same time we began to slowly wipe ourselves out of the collective human memory. Slowly turning our history into myths and stories no one truly believed.
         Centuries have passed and generations of your kind have died, and with them all credible accounts of our existence. The fact that all but a minimal fraction of your kind will throw this letter, laughing, into the trash is all the proof I could ask for. The handful that do not, your time of suffering has come to an end. Embrace me and my kind and you will be immortal, no pleasure will be beyond your reach.
         To the rest of you, cattle, please accept your fate, after all the choice is yours. We will be “humane,” death will come quick and with as minimal pain for you as is convenient for us. Your days are numbered, enjoy them. I grant you one sweet pleasure for all the good your kind will do mine, I tell you this when your blood flows from your bodies your sins will as well, so go and do your darkest desires, you have a few days.

Sincerely,

                Sanguis Bibentis
© Copyright 2012 Zachary Arthur Burlingame (z.burlingame at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1843882-Open-Letter-From-a-Vampire