*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845445-Building-Bridges-socially-and-stuff
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1845445
I got a bit bored and started rambling, then I edited.
Everyone has low points in their life, times when they have no idea whether they are going up or down, whether to fight or run. In these low times it can sometimes be easier to ‘make the weight lighter’, by sharing our problems and troubles with those who we love and trust. As the popular saying goes, ‘a problem shared is a problem halved’.

I however, like many others I’m sure, have often struggled to talk about my feelings, most of the time my feeling are expressed as anger and frustration and are directed at whoever happens to be near me at the time. Recently, I have realised something that I should have learnt a while ago.

Although I am the only one who can choose and control my emotions, chances are, I am not the only one who is affected by them.

When people get angry, they often snap or lash out at others, mostly people that they care about. Of course, when calmed down, most people are sorry for the things that they may have said or done, and it is the people who truly love us and really do care about us that are the ones who give us yet another second chance, take us into their arms and say ‘I forgive you’. Or, if you have a silly boyfriend like me, ‘I guess I’ll put up with you some more’ :P

We never mean to hurt the people we love, however I’m sure that I am not the only one with a regrettably sharp tongue when in a temper. And this is where the art of ‘building bridges’ comes in. I’m not entirely sure what the term ‘building bridges’ actually means, but to my mind it’s something to do with relationships.

A bridge is, of course, a means of getting from one place to another over a steep drop or stretch of water. However, a different way of looking at it is, to put it simply, is as a support, without which we could end up sinking or endlessly falling into whatever abyss lays below. We should build bridges with the people in our every day lives, let people know that we are there to help them over the deepest caverns in their lives. And who knows, from the beginnings of a bridge, built to support the troubles of one, could form a strong, great and trusting relationship, be it with family, friends or lovers.

Some may ask, why a bridge? Surely a pillar would be a better metaphor for support? And that may be, however, to my mind, a pillar seems to imply more of a one way support, it stands and allows itself to be leant on, without anything much else to support it. People are not pillars, we cannot pile the weight of our troubles on them and not give any support ourselves. That is why I used bridges, they support and are supported.


Tell the ones that you love that they are in your heart everyday, and make sure that you are building strong bridges in your life
© Copyright 2012 Phoenix Star (tommygal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845445-Building-Bridges-socially-and-stuff