*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845590-Chilly-romance
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1845590
A story of a man getting his chance at love. Written for the Writer's Cramp contest.
         Living in the Netherlands can be a chilling experience, but living in Friesland is worst.  I lived here my whole, which is 23 years to be exact.  I could have left to go to college, but decided against it.  My main reason for that was the girl I fancied Katherine Swindler went to a local college.  How to describe would be part snow bunny and hometown girl.  Heck Katherine could probably be a playboy bunny if she wanted.  She is 5’5”, long brown hair to the middle of her back, hazel eyes (boy I love those eyes), a nice rack, and of course an even nicer bottom to go with it.  Now I know my family thinks I am insane for staying in Friesland for a girl I am not even dating.  I just tell them one day we will and we get married.  That is not the point now, nor will it ever be after telling this story.
         It was November 30, 2011 and I was sitting at home by a warm cozy fire.  At 23 I guess I lost the spark to be out and about in the snow.  I would of course hit the local pub later.  While relaxing by the fire I heard a knock at my door.  My thought was I wasn’t expecting anyone.  After walking to the door I peeked through the window to see none other than Katherine standing there.  I opened the door to greet her.
         “Hello Katherine.”
         “Hi, Mike.”  She said while starting to step into my house.  “How are you?”
         “I am fine, thanks for asking and how are you?” I stated while stepping to the side.
         “I am doing well thank you.  I am actually here to ask a favor from you.”  She said with a little blush.  In my mind I started to think girls only show up when they want or need something.  When I opened my mouth that of course is not what I said.
         “Yes, what can I do for you?”  This could line could only be spoken by a man who could be easily wrapped around Katherine's finger.
         “Well, one of my friends ditched me for Skating for a Cause and I need one more person to make my team complete.”  She said with a nervous smile.  Now Skating for a Cause is the largest skating marathon in the world.  It generates millions of dollars a year for various causes.  Now living in Friesland I am used to freezing temperatures, but lately the windchill has made being outside unbearable.  I didn’t want to let Katherine down thinking it would ruin my chances of her being my future wife.
         "I don’t know Katherine.  I haven’t skated in a couple of years.”  I tried to explain to her.
         “Oh, please Mike.  The marathon is tomorrow and I have no time to find anyone else.  If you dig out your skates now, we can hit the ice for practice.”  She said with her million dollar smile.  Now normally when I truly don’t want to do something I won’t, but man she offered one on one time with her.  I grabbed my skates and headed to the ice rink.  It was only a 10 minute drive from my house, but it felt like forever sitting by this beauty queen.  When we arrived we headed down to the benches to put on our skates.
         “Now if a wobble a little promise not to laugh.”  I said
         “I can make no promise.”  She said as she stepped on to the ice.  “You will do fine.”
         “I am not so sure.” I stated back.  Now mind you I am 6’2” and fit, but the fear of falling over like a tree was stuck in my head.  Stepping onto the ice was the easy part it was like I never stopped skating.  Then in the middle of the rink I stumble over my own foot.  After falling backwards and landing squarely on my back I lay there in my world.  At this point I could melt the ice from embarrassment.  Katherine rushes over to me.  I can hear the fear in her voice while asking if I am okay.  She kneels beside me, but sill I can’t bring myself to answer.  Katherine is looks deep into my eyes.  I am sure it is a way of trying to see if I am alive.  I take this time to become a brave soul and lean up and kiss her square on her wonderful lips.  I was little shocked with Katherine took the lead from there and slipped her tongue into my willing mouth.  I can’t tell how long this kiss went on but I know it was a highlight of my life.  After that kiss I was never the same man.  Katherine helped me up from the ice and we went back to may place.  For medical needs of course.  It has two months and we are happy.  I can’t say we will get married, but I can say we have a decent story to tell on how we got together.  Yes, I did skate for the marathon I was just real sore that day.  As I said Katherine could wrap me around her finger and that day and many more she did.


words 882
© Copyright 2012 Dominique (peach08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845590-Chilly-romance